MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back after having my R56 Cooper S lowered with H&R Springs (35mm drop)

Initial impressions are :D Ride is a little firmer, but certainly not uncomfortable - I would say 15-20% firmer than stock..

Looks - I am absolutely chuffed with the way it looks, its exactly what I was after. Bear in mind these have literally been on my car 5miles from the garage to my house, so they are far from bed in, so they will drop a little further once settled.

I possibly live on some of the straightest roads in the world so I havent had chance to test how the car handles at all, from the few bends I did go round coming home it feels like it is absolutely glued to the road though.

When sitting in the car, you "feel" a lot lower, its hard to describe but it was the first thing I noticed when driving off. Its not a bad thing at all, you just feel closer to the road lol.

So far I really couldnt be happier with the springs, they are exactly what I was after - and have totally got rid of the gap between the tyre and the body. The front looks lower than the back at the moment, but as I said above, they have only been on for 5 miles so they need a lot more settling in.

Pics: :)

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Nice car, but from this angle looks like quite a bit of wheel gap still visible.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks SWEAT, are you comparing them to sports suspension when you say stock?
How are the speed bumps lol, what speed do you have to take an average size one?
Looks so good!!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mate, Yeah my 'stock' was sports suspension.
I hav removed the little plastic flaps underneath the car too - they just sort of clip on and off, as mine were already half hanging off (always have been since I bought the car :eek:) I just decided to get rid.
Just going out shopping now into Preston so that will be a real test as to how my car handles speed bumps lol!! I'll report back when I get in this afternoon.
To be honest I go pretty slow over speed bumps anyway so its not going to involve much of a change for me, maybe about 5mph? I really dont know but I'll have a look today ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just got back... and had no problems at all! Not a single speed bump bothered me and I went over quite a few!
Handling is superb now, turn in has improved dramatically from before the springs were fitted.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks good. Did you get it aligned afterwards and does the stock suspension allow enough adjustment at this height?

Also are you running runflats? Was thinking of lowering when I change over to standard tyres in the hope this would absorb some of the extra stiffness.

Do you find the car behaves better whilst hitting bumps at speed now?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent had it aligned no, but it all looks fine. Had my last cooper S dropped on eibachs and that was never aligned either and had no issues.

Nah I have changed my tyres too, I am now running Falken FK452's (non runflats) They made the ride much gentler that the runflats, but it was so long ago that I cant make a comparison of lowered with non runflats vs stock suspension with runflats..

One thing I will say though is that the ride is quite firm, whilst not grounding on dips in the road etc, you now feel things a lot more than previous - even little things like grids, small dips & hollows make the car bump over them more than previous - this doesnt bother me but some people who are after a very comfortable ride may be put off by this....

Whether a spring which reduces the height less (eibach, jcw etc) would be any better ride harshness Im not sure.

Not sure what you mean by behaves better when hitting bumps, but put it this way if there is a bump in the road you will certainly feel it more than you would with stock suspension - this suspension is 'tight' and certainly not wallowy.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not sure what you mean by behaves better when hitting bumps, but put it this way if there is a bump in the road you will certainly feel it more than you would with stock suspension - this suspension is 'tight' and certainly not wallowy.
I've found with the sports suspension and runflats that bumps can unsettle the car when driving at speed. The car will sometimes want to change direction in extreme cases. Its totally managable but worse than any other car I've had previously. Not sure if its the runflat or suspension setup itself.

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
I've found with the sports suspension and runflats that bumps can unsettle the car when driving at speed. The car will sometimes want to change direction in extreme cases. Its totally managable but worse than any other car I've had previously. Not sure if its the runflat or suspension setup itself.
Sounds like runflats are the culprit

futureal33 lovely looking car, they are some of the best wheels available from mini. Think that coilovers are the way to go when lowering an r56 as i dont think springs cut it....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i now ordered the full JCW sportsuspension to put on my R56 factory JCW, but i'n not sure the looks will be ok... the JCW only lowers the car for 10 mm ....

·
Boosted
480 Posts
The spring rate is no different to the stock springs, just the springs are shorter. As most springs are progressive you will find that the smaller bumps are dealt with in much the same way as the stock set up, but bigger bumps will be felt! But the shocks them selves are still doing the same work as if they were being used with the stock springs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
futureal33, do you have any more pics of your car with H&Rs after they have settled?
already have eibach pro-kit springs but thinking of going lower still.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got a couple more here:

The car has definately got lower since I put them on and seems to have got lower recently... they have been on about 2500 miles now (ish) and been subject to a real mix of roads, bumps, etc

1 - 20 of 44 Posts