MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 52 03 Cooper S from main dealer bought about half a year ago. The only thing wrong is when i'm stationary and then put it in 1st put some low revs down and pull the clutch up it groans, there are no problems putting it in to gear but it just groans really loudly. And the most annoying thing about it is it isn't constant.

Any ideas what it could be guys?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can't help you mate but i have this problem too on my 03 MCS, it's rather annoying isn't it? :( It only seems to do it if i pull away with low revs or if i bring the clutch up too quickly though. I presume it's clutch related?? Hope it's not on the way out! :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi mine makes a funny noise what seems like a clutch problem if not used for a few days
only does it when cold and on initial pulling away....
after that its fine !

·
Noob
247 Posts
Am quite sure this is a fairly known issue, and have read this in other threads here. I heard that it wasn't actually doing anything wrong, and it seems to be usually when it's cold.

Is it more of a screech than a groan?

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
This is a well known problem, its your clutch flywheel assembly. mine started at about 30k and the at 47k the clutch is still going but only just, after a while it will do it very often all the time and then the clutch will get heavy and hard to change gear, I then assume it will stop working at some point

20k it was just the noise when cold (bmw told me it was normal)
30k was the noise most of the time (Just got used to it)
40k 1st and 2nd gear (bmw told me there was a problem with the clutch / flywheel)
47k every time and worse when loaded, can't easily change gear and have a new clutch and flywheel to fit (Local garage said clutch was almost dead)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 54 cooper S had the same issue. It’s done 48k and I complained to the Stealer and they replaced the whole clutch!:smile:

Under extended warranty, so my advice if you have the warranty is to moan until they do something about it. They could not find out what was causing the noise and as they had to drop the gearbox to look, I think they just replaced the clutch to get rid of me...

I have searched on here about this and I don't think it’s anything to worry about, mine did it from cold but once warmed up it was fine. Just thought that if I have the warranty then get what you can out of them.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey All,

Thanks for the replies! Yeah it's a bit more like a screech at low rev's and it does only happen when it's cold. So you reckon it could be the gearbox? I thought that but what about the pulley? could it have anything to do with that? I do love Mini's (this is my second) but I am getting tired of trips down to my local dealer, they all know me lol.

More ideas welcome!!!

Cheers,

Chris

·
Noob
247 Posts
This is a well known problem, its your clutch flywheel assembly. mine started at about 30k and the at 47k the clutch is still going but only just, after a while it will do it very often all the time and then the clutch will get heavy and hard to change gear, I then assume it will stop working at some point

20k it was just the noise when cold (bmw told me it was normal)
30k was the noise most of the time (Just got used to it)
40k 1st and 2nd gear (bmw told me there was a problem with the clutch / flywheel)
47k every time and worse when loaded, can't easily change gear and have a new clutch and flywheel to fit (Local garage said clutch was almost dead)
Wow. Interesting!

Mine has made the sound only when cold .. for perhaps the past 10,000 kms? If anything, I'd say that it's less frequent now than it was a year ago?

Either that or my hearing is getting worse .. or of course I'm getting more used to it and it's less noticable?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts