MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mini2ers,

I have been reading through the threads about the MTH powerchip upgrade but I havn't come across many reviews on it for the S, most people tend to have Ones and Coopers with the mod. Although the results seem to be good for the ONE and Cooper I was wondering if anyone out there with it on there S could shine some light on how this upgrade changes the performance and fuel economy so that I know what to expect when I get it.

Thanks,

Badboyz

·
Registered
88 Posts
My MCS is a standard 03 model.

There's a noticeable increase in power, low end power is fed in much smoother. The persistent stumble on decelleration at 1900rpm is gone (had the accel stumble resolved some time ago). 4K and upwards it launches away and spins to the redline a lot faster.

ASC mod :D A lot less of a cut to the power

Rev limiter not been bounced of yet. Not had a chance to try out if the top speed limiter is gone or not.

Overall, well worth spending £50 on a cable and £40 on the software so you can switch back an forth at will.

·
Cornish Boy
164 Posts
Mth Mcs

I have a 2004 MCS with a MiniMadness intake and installed the MTH software about 700 miles ago.

The car has v.38 software installed and I have never had the stumble/yo-yo etc.

The Madness intake improved both the sound of the car and the performance when I installed it about 7000miles ago. There is a big difference running a standard car when I remove the filter for those 'dealer' visits.....

I installed the MTH software with NO problems from an old Dell Laptop running Win2K, the instructions on here/NAM are pretty good. The only thing to mention is to make SURE that the VIN you enter is correct when you pay for the software (whole VIN starting with a 'V', and in caps letters). Once you download the software you gen your keycode for use when you upload the new files.

Install is pretty easy and my files came back within 24hrs over a weekend which surprised me. I was supplied with a file for intake, stock pulley, 95/97ron fuel and two files for 15% pulley (one with each type of fuel). I had the 7200 rev limit and I believe the ASC mod as this seems a default.

After installation the was transformed and was so much smoother to drive. It picks up well from low revs in 6th and goes 'mad' when you hit 5500rpm all the way to the redline. Now that the car has settled and the 500mile 'run in' 'memory cache' has been passed the improvement is remarkable.

The car just drives so much better in every gear, it pulls well and seems to be much faster. The fuel economy has improved dramatically as I just returned from a run to Wales and got an average of 39.1mpg reported by the OBC.

If you live near someone with a cable - try it as it is the best £40 you will spend on your car but I agree with an earlier post I would go for your own cable. As you upgrade the car in the future, you can drop the new files on or return to standard if you sell. MTH and others are also developing SW that you can get codes etc. from the car so the cable will always be usefull. If you are looking to get a pulley I believe that MINSPEED will install one for about £220 and AMD look for about £300, although I was thinking of a group-but in the new year.

I have not been in a Works car or a BBR et'al so I cannot say if the MTH is as good/better, but for the money (£100) the price certainly is. There are other map only upgrades (superchips, chiptuninguk) but they come in at around £500 which is what you normally pay for other cars (VW etc.). But for me this is just too much money to spend on just a map and the MTH is a good alternative for now.

Will I install a Pulley and keep MTH? - I am still undecided on this as I like the though of the BBR (£1500) and will get a test drive in Supercoopers car to see what it is like. I sent a PM to a guy in Germany who has the Pulley from Helix and the MTH and he says that it gets similar BHP to the upgrades from BBR/West etc. so I am undecided.

Would I do it again? - You Bet!! It is a really good MCS stage 1 type tune that doesn't involve a pulley change so is quick. It is also dealer friendly as it is not traceable with their test tools, if you are worried drop the original files back on the car for visits.

If you have had your MCS a while and want it to feel 'new' again - go for it!!!

If you need a cable, I am in Gloucestershire and have a dedicated MTH laptop.

cheers

paul

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Installed the Mth tuning on mine about 1500 miles ago. from my sig you can tell its modded a bit. Biggest noticable improvement is the low end power. I've been able to take off in second Gear with out stumbling or stalling. Something ive had trouble with in 1st gear before installing the MTH. Since im running the 19% pulley i requested no change in rev limiter but i could tell the Speed limiter is removed. Before i could only do the 135mph but now back to burying the speedo at 150+ on a closed course that is. With the exception of a Cold start problem the programming is damn close to my 02 which had pre-production programming which included no speed limiter as well as more low end grunt than any other MINI in the area. Which was noted by several people who test drove mine. So yes its worth getting for an S.

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
MTH where from?

Hi Guys

Read through your post about MTH remapping. My question where do you get it from?

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Shorty :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.