MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, first time on the Mini forum.

I need some ideas.

I am trading in my 07 525d Sport for either a S or a Clubman S. I have 5yr old kids, but will just have them in the car for short journeys and the school run.

How important are the options? I know I need Chili pack, but what else is a must? I have been looking at a few 56/07/57/08 models but all are so different in spec I am getting to the point of buying new, but then the price just goes sky high with the spec I put on.

Also, does the LSD really make alot of difference? I have driven both cars, but with no LSD, only in cooper spec and I could not get out in the 'sticks' to push them harder.

My other car is an NSX, so I have the performance when I want it, but I am looking at the S/Club S as I still want to enjoy my driving instead of feeling that I have too little power.

Al

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would go for the clubman considering the kids. There is literally no room in the back of a mcs.

Surely you can find a second hand car with all the options you want. I wouldnt bother buying new.

Just my opinion though...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would go for the clubman considering the kids. There is literally no room in the back of a mcs.

Surely you can find a second hand car with all the options you want. I wouldnt bother buying new.

Just my opinion though...
I certainly wouldn't go that far. I'm 6'2" and can fit people in the back of my R56 without much bother.

If your kids are only young and small then you will no problems what so ever.

If it was my choice I would go for the Cooper S. Mainly because I think the Clubmans are ugly as ****. True, you can't fit kids and a full week's worth of shopping in one but you can always not take them and use the back seats.

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
The space in the hatch is OK for smaller kids, but as ours are fast approaching their teens we've chopped our Cooper in for a Clubman! ;)

You also might want to consider test driving the Clubman D! ;)

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Whether to get the hatch or the clubman:

The clubman will offer some more room, and yes it isn't pretty, but it isn't ugly either. It has an odd awkwardness about its looks that in my opinion makes it look pretty cool. That said I bought the hatch!

Options:

Yes the Chili pack is an absolutely must for the air conditioning, bi-xenon headlights (standard lights are rubbish), half leather, etc etc.

The multi-function steering wheel (MFSW) is another good option as it also comes with cruise control. But if you're only doing short journeys this may not be a requirement.

As for the LSD: Well if you own a NSX then you probably like driving. :D a lot :D:D I have the MCS without the LSD and to be honest I regret it. Coming off a roundabout in 2nd gear, if you go full throttle before you straighten up with the traction control switched off, the front wheels will just instantly spin at max rpm. The cost of the LSD will be made back in lost rubber. That said spinning front wheels is a lot of fun (on a private road). If the traction control is switched on, it is very effective and you won't spin the wheels, but it is also effectively cutting power that you could be putting down.

Good luck! The MCS is also has much better fuel economy then you would expect. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Go for the Clubman!!
left ours in sainsburys car park tonight,and when we came back to it there were 3 other MINIs in the next 4 spaces!!!
the clubman really stood out from the rest,(yep, probably cos its mellow yellow:D),it just looks so damn cool, not to mention the extra space. Our 2 tennagers are both over 6"3',and they have plenty of room.
At the end of the day its all down to personal choice, but if you really want to get noticed, its the clubman every time;):cool:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Clubman with kids. The visibility pack is a very good option for £220. Heated front screen (ideal in winter - no faffing with deicer), auto wipers, auto lights. The sport button is recommended too (if you go for an s its standard - but if you don't...).

Your best bet is to post the spec and ask what people think - they'll tell you if you've missed something etc. Everyone seems to say get the LSD. In all fairness 170+bhp through the front wheels... Probably is necessary if you want a 'spirited' drive!

·
Mini2 Clubman Newbie
25 Posts
Hi,

Had an 04 MCS which I Ioved to bits, but the children were getting alittle tight in the back, especially with our little dog. So for runs out, we were not using it.
Swapped for a MCS Clubman, and things are much better. 3 seats in the back is very handy. Boot is in 3 layers??
You have where the spare wheel goes, get shoes etc in there
Then a level above this. Great for laptop etc out of sight.
Then the boot......so in all great depth.
It does feel special driving the clubman, and I think with the correct colours and alloys it looks great. (grey and silver....or bue and silver)
Performance is wild!!! Too fast really, you put you foot down and you are hitting 80+ with ease, the engine is so smooth, and then best thing on top of that is economy. 35mpg around town, and 40+ on a run.
Low car tax, and lower insurance than the older MCS.
One down side is the torque steer....not sure why this is, I did not have this on the MCS 04 model. You have to get used to locking your arms.
So test drive a MCS Clubman to make your own mind up.
Extras,
Chilli Pack
Sunroof
mfs
leather, lounge
usb

Good luck!!

·
Oi luvs moi R53
16 Posts
Hi All, first time on the Mini forum.

I need some ideas.

I am trading in my 07 525d Sport for either a S or a Clubman S. I have 5yr old kids, but will just have them in the car for short journeys and the school run.

How important are the options? I know I need Chili pack, but what else is a must? I have been looking at a few 56/07/57/08 models but all are so different in spec I am getting to the point of buying new, but then the price just goes sky high with the spec I put on.

Also, does the LSD really make alot of difference? I have driven both cars, but with no LSD, only in cooper spec and I could not get out in the 'sticks' to push them harder.

My other car is an NSX, so I have the performance when I want it, but I am looking at the S/Club S as I still want to enjoy my driving instead of feeling that I have too little power.

Al
Hi. I have an 06 MCS. Also have a wife, 9yr old and a small dog. It's THE family car so has to do it all. Have managed fine, much to my surprise - spec'd it with roof bar mounting system but haven't had to use it yet. Can even squeeze our inflateable kayak in the boot - just. The 3 of us heading back to the UK from Germany in an hour. Brought a week's worth of luggage and it went in ok (won't have heavy items loose in the cabin on safety grounds).

Oddly, I would suggest that you'll have more of a problem with fitting 5yr olds in the back than older kids. Littl'uns legs don't bend at the seat front - not long enough - so they end up having feet squashed by the seat back and soon learn to adopt the 'Charlie Chaplin' position. Can't comment on the Clubman, though it appeared to have a bit more leg room in the back when we tested one.

Reckon either would do the job, just a question of taste. Enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts