MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a soon to be Cooper owner I was thinking of upgrading to an S in late 2003. But if a M Cooper is also due in 2003 would you still go for a Cooper S or an M Cooper?
I assume an M Cooper will have 220 bhp and probably cost £17K vs £14.5k
Thoughts?

Shay

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
The M version hasn't been confirmed yet I think. If it does come out though, I'll be popping for that instead of the new BMW CS1 which I was thinking of getting in 2005.

Dom

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I'll have the Quiker one which would be the M deived Cooper. Doubt it'll have an M badge even if M do do aversion. It'll have a MINI version of the M badge. See the other thread M Cooper

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh, decisions, decisions ... whether to buy the car that I know is being released real soon, or a car that might turn out to be vapourware? That's got to take at least half a second to answer:rolleyes:

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Get the cooper and be happy with it. If an M version is released then yeah, consider trading your coop in. Personally, I think it'll depend on what the M version comprises of. If its a bigger engine, 1.8, then it may be better to get that, if its still a 1.6 then sod it. Forget the M & S and get an aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger fitted. By that time your warranty will have run out. Anyway, you've got a while to make up your mind!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nooooo! Don't do it! I did it once, and it wasn't a good idea.

When a manufacturer upgrades a car, they change all sorts of little bits. When we bolt-on tuning goodies, we don't. End result is that the manufacturer-tweaked car is still good for 150,000 miles, whereas the bolt-on modified car lasts 20,000 miles. Trust me on this one.

Take the S over the Cooper - sure, you could try and modify the Cooper engine yourself to work with a bolt-on supercharger. But remember to change the pistons, valves, head, crank and ECU programming (BMW have). And definately change the gearbox - early reports had the Cooper S eating gearboxes for breakfast. And by the time you've done all this modification, you'll have spent a lot more on your Cooper than you would have done if you'd just bought an S in the first place.

Having walked down that road (thumbing a lift from passing AA vans), I'd say the only mods worth looking at are a replacement air filter and exhaust. Oh, ad once you declare your car to be "modified", you're in a whole world of hurt as regards insurance premiums.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry guys - Cooper 'S' sounds like a great car (though the Cooper looks better IMO), an M Cooper??? Oh Baby Yeah!!! What a car that would be. As to Dom's CS1 comments - I too had been thinking on the same lines, but a Cooper M...I'm sold.
BMW M- Division, PLEASE build this car. :D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I wouldnt mind a Seat Tango next or a MINI Cooper M with an SLK roof :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure I understand the logic behind this. BMW has gone to great lengths, in the US at least, to separate the MINI and BMW brands. I think the 'S' is the sport version equivalent of the M in the BMW line.

You wouldn't see a GTI Audi A4 or a Golf S4 or an AMG Chrysler Sebring...

Dunno - seems improbable...

Jason

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I agree with jlivingood. Why would they? Why build separate dealerships to be later truly linked with BMW with an M model. Think next generation S. And that will not come out until the current waiting lists die down. Why improve the car drastically if people are still in line for the current car. Current car, seesh, it is not even out yet! Besides, you want to produce close to 75000 parts off a tool that makes the parts to pay for the investment of the tool. For the S that means 3-4 years of production. Only when you charge $50000 for a car can you recoup that with lower quantities.

my 2 cents!

·
Registered
124 Posts
After all the wait I'll take the S and if I want the power increase go for the Works package, 200BHP should do to start and I get to drive!! could be real soon;) :D :D :D If I need more go I'll wait for the F version where they drop that V-12 into the passenger seat :eek:

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Given a choice between and M-engineered MINI and a JCW Cooper S, I think I'd take the Works car. Has the tradition thing going for it. And, for the record, I highly doubt there will be a MINI with an M badge, not after all the lengths BMW have gone through to make it clear that this car is a MINI, not a small BMW. Not after the whole business about seperate dealerships, the evasive responses from auto show personnel regarding the BMW ties (as documented elsewhere on this board), etc. Not about to turn around and stick their most cherished badge on it.

And while we're on the subject, I'd pay good money to see an Isetta M...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
808 Posts
MGB Boy said:
Given a choice between and M-engineered MINI and a JCW Cooper S, I think I'd take the Works car.
If I had to guess, JCW is likely quite busy satisfying demand in Europe and will take quite awhile to setup for business in some manner in the US. In the meantime, I would expect US-based tuners to step up to the plate with all sorts of goodies, many of which could combine to create the kind of 200bhp output that seems to be so longed for.

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts