MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guy please bare with me as new to this, (from UK) need some info on this.
Fitted pair of rear disc/rotors with pads.
Now have a Knocking from the left side rear wheel when under hard braking, noise also happens when applying hand brake. noise gets quicker with speed, sound like something is on the disc. So this what iv done. Swapped the discs over, fitted a second set of pads, fitted new hub bearing to left rear, checked pins are moving in caliper, checked pads are not moving in caliper, checked both discs for uneven machining, both perfect, checked wheel bolts are tight.
Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated on this as its giving me brain ache.

Regards to all.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
sure its not the brakes maybe anti roll bar bushes or and drop links worn out, or trailing arm bushes . jack rear off ground and get at them with a lever bar check for movements

· Registered
13,593 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thoughts as yours, was making the same noise after fitting new discs and pad so replaced the bearing fitted another set of pads checked pins in caliper checked dust flaps. have lifted car spun wheels no noise, only happens when h/brake is pulled or foot brake applied.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
Have also fitted a service kit with copper slip.
devils advocate they do two sizes for rear brake discs on r56,, i believe

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laid the old disc on the the new one before fitting to check size. starting to wonder about the caliper piston as its the only item not changed, but this doesnt correspond with the noise slowing when the car slows!!!!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found it. The left pad carrier is a fraction larger than the right (maybe stretched where the outside pad fits) therefor the pad moves under heavy braking or when the parking brake is applied when car is moving. If a cheap set of pads is purchased they do not come with a small clip that fits on to the outside bottom of the pad, the expensive pads come with 2 of these clips one for each side, this should be fitted when the carrier has stretched, if the carrier has NOT stretched the pad will not go in, DO NOT force the pad in. Anyway fitted a clip to the left rear pad carrier and NO NOISE.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
Found it. The left pad carrier is a fraction larger than the right (maybe stretched where the outside pad fits) therefor the pad moves under heavy braking or when the parking brake is applied when car is moving. If a cheap set of pads is purchased they do not come with a small clip that fits on to the outside bottom of the pad, the expensive pads come with 2 of these clips one for each side, this should be fitted when the carrier has stretched, if the carrier has NOT stretched the pad will not go in, DO NOT force the pad in. Anyway fitted a clip to the left rear pad carrier and NO NOISE.
its common for pads to be a little larger than the sliders and for mechanics to need to file them a tad also the slider over years gets surface rust on them and when serviced its good practice to remove from car and lightly remove the rust under the stainless slider shims the most common problem with brakes binding when not done and also add some copper grease or Gray carbon grease to it all, happy days it found and not a big issue
i also tend to put rust cure acid on them as well never have a rust issue again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.