MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
go fast
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my s was off the road for 2 weeks and before i took it off the road i had grs ic, 17% alta v2 pulley, max air sealed forced induction and magnaflow cat back. when off the road i took the ic and the airbox off and put the standard ones back on. why you ask, just too see wat the difference was? yes thats correct and what did i find. well i didnt notice much but when i hit 4500 rpm the engine sounded better with a louder supercharger whine comming from the standard airbox and i was getting better boost pressure so what begs a question on my behalf is do i really need the grs for safety? or does living in the uk with bitter weather anyway cancel this out?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 15% with GRS and I still have a standard airbox... As you have 17% pulley, the GRS will certainly help you in the warmer months... Many run the 17 with a standard IC though...

·
Registered
133 Posts
As someone who actually lives in a country that experiences "hot" weather the stock intercooler works well. I am running a 16+2% combo with no problems
I have used the stock and 2 aftermarket intercoolers and they are all virtually the same.
You do not need an aftermarket intercooler for safety reasons when running a smaller pulley.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I live in the UK and I found a 15% on the stock IC got horridly hot post IC in the summer (IATs were scarey hot, although it never had det as far as i ever told). In the winter it would also struggle unless it was very cold. In the open air it was OK but if there was stop start or sitting still the temps climed a lot. Once air was moving it cooled down but a spirited drive even in winter could make the post IC horn boiling hot no matter how soon after stopping you checked it (so it was not cooling off even in the moving air sometimes!). I moved to a GP IC and that works really well especially coupled with an M7 chav hat... I saw temp changes with both items.

GRS is a very good idea in the summer for sure, especially on a 17%...also remember boost is not everything. There are cars running 15%+ boost that generate less power than cars running 12% boost. Power is a combo of boost and also cold charge air....if you have high boost but hot charge air then you'll still not deliver power, and it can be dangerous. If you have slightly lower boost but colder charge air you might produce more powwer and torque and in theory be a little bit safer.

Just bear it in mind.... however that said yes the stock items are ok up to a point. The real selling point of the GRS etc is when your not getting average starting point. Ifyour wiorking in extremes it gives you the confidence to not have to think about what your doing befor belting your foot to the floor etc ;)

·
go fast
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i think im gonna put the grs back on cus it gives better fuel economy but i was also thinking of boing back to standard also.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Yeah but your a freak of nature Dave ;) :p

It is strange how good yours appears to be, yet mine even with a 15 used to absolutely cook...Just goes to show there are no constants when it comes to tuning! :D

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Yeah mines not that as I have good seal, no IC leaks and since the GP and chav hat went on she is pretty much cold all the time except for when sitting still or if temps are stupid hot and i've been dragging it up the strip... maybe a dodgy stock IC although my boost was sound when it was on, just very hot charge air all the time :(

I guess its a bit like strong tuesday engines and weak friday engines, some just are better than others for no particular reason

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Yeah mine was measured from the car. But tbh the difference is so great between my stock IC and the GP with chav hat that you could feel the tempreture difference with your hand. On stock you could barely touch the post IC horn after spirited driving, with GP and chav hat she feels no more than warm on a bad day and ice cold 90% of the time.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
ar <<nods head>> @ Mini Morgan

Come on Dave, your being a bit unfair there I don't live at 7000 ........

.... more like 6800 :p

·
Registered
628 Posts
ThinkMini

I live in the UK and I found a 15% on the stock IC got horridly hot post IC in the summer (IATs were scarey hot, although it never had det as far as i ever told). In the winter it would also struggle unless it was very cold. In the open air it was OK but if there was stop start or sitting still the temps climed a lot. Once air was moving it cooled down but a spirited drive even in winter could make the post IC horn boiling hot no matter how soon after stopping you checked it (so it was not cooling off even in the moving air sometimes!). I moved to a GP IC and that works really well especially coupled with an M7 chav hat... I saw temp changes with both items.

GRS is a very good idea in the summer for sure, especially on a 17%...also remember boost is not everything. There are cars running 15%+ boost that generate less power than cars running 12% boost. Power is a combo of boost and also cold charge air....if you have high boost but hot charge air then you'll still not deliver power, and it can be dangerous. If you have slightly lower boost but colder charge air you might produce more powwer and torque and in theory be a little bit safer.

Just bear it in mind.... however that said yes the stock items are ok up to a point. The real selling point of the GRS etc is when your not getting average starting point. Ifyour wiorking in extremes it gives you the confidence to not have to think about what your doing befor belting your foot to the floor etc ;)
Taking MCS to Dave Thursday having found him in the back of Botswanaland, advice please, [email protected] if you get this.

Thanks
Graham-Bromsgrove

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Personally in winter you can do without an IC upgrade, however if you have the 17% (and I would, I'm switching to one in the new year) then save your pennies after christmas and buy a GRS or GTT IC sometime before the summer.

GTT220 this Thursday (get an IC if you can afford it, but if not its fine) then in 6 months as the temps get higher go and get GTT or GRS IC.

Each car is different and trust me if for some reason yours struggles (it won't, but if it does) then Dave will sort you out. he'll tell you what you need to do and give you good deals on the stuff you require. He's always done right with me, and with all his customers to date including folks who really know what they are doing like Dave morgan, bhozar etc etc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts