MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a quick look at this weeks Autocar in the local Library ( WHSmiths ) They have included some rather interesting stats about the JCG Works S:
£17500
0-62 in 6.5 Seconds :D
1.5 second quicker round Goodwood than the Civic type R.

The only down side being, that they stated it would be released in september. I guess I can wait an extra couple of months.

Michael

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no more information at the moment :( , does sound like it will be a scream :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
G'day Michael,

Glad someone's starting to write about the 'Works' Cooper S.

The Works conversion was the main factor I put money down for my Cooper S last year! I've been visiting the JCW website frequently - but still no info on the 'S'. I got an email at Christmas from Richard de jong - General Manager of John Cooper Works saying that he couldn't provide me with any info on mods/stats/costs at the time as they were still in their development program. However he did say (and I quote) "It is UNBELIEVABLE to drive!!!" He also said (in agreeance with your find) that the kit would be available in September.

Anyway, you're not alone. I'll be joining you in the wait - sounds like the little bastard will be well worth it!

As I'm in Australia, I was wondering how I could find the article that you mentioned. Love to have a read! Would it be possible to scan it?

Look forward to hearing from you and the whine of that supercharger very soon...

Rosey

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
200 BHP for £3000 gets my thumbs up

I am really tempted to get the works conversion for the S, I think it is much better value for money than the Coopers'.

Now I have to decide whether to get:

• A Cooper S with all the mod cons;
  • Or a bog standard Cooper S with a Works Conversion
    [/list=a]

I can't afford both so it has to be one or the other. A 200 BHP Mini would be amazing:p

Then again I could always get it later on and get the toys for now. Better start saving those pennies;)

LMB:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had expected the 0-100kmh time to be closer to 6.0 given lift in bhp output

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Rosey.

I thought it was about time we brought the Cooper S works back into conversation.

I've had my order in since August, so I can't wait to get my hands on one. I spoke to Richard just after Christmas, and he basically said the same as he'd said to you, great fun.

Although the magazine article did say september ( I think it was refering to the Kit not the full car) , I think they will probably try and launch it at the same time as the cooper S, which hopefully might mean I will be able to get my hands on mine June/July time ( worth dreaming :rolleyes: )

The article is only about 5 lines long, and I'm afraid I don't have access to a scanner.:( If you get a UK magazine called autocar it will be in there 13th feb issue

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hmmm (yawn-stretch-scratch) been napping for the last few weeks (actually have had a lot more work going on) Does anyone know if this will be available in the US anytime soon. I was disappointed when I heard that the "S" would have less that 200 hp, out-of-the-box. The works kit may actually be the ticket for me. If it's a retro-fit option, I don't mind. :cool: :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's a retro fit and should be available in the States, as far as we know.

It might or might not invalidate the warranty (depending upon who you talk to) and certainly counts as a modification putting the insurance through the roof.

Is anyone suggesting that 160+ BHP from the standard S won't be enough? Having gone down the modified car route once before, I'm not going there again in a hurry. If I wanted to get the jump on everything at the lights, I'd buy a huge sportsbike, and kiss my licence goodbye.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not much for the stoplight grand prix, but I am for taking the car to the track on the weekends. I have a bunch of friends with some older M3's that I'm not content losing to every weekend, that's all.:cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds like an excellent excuse to own an S-works, then :)

Interestingly the article (only about 10 lines long, 1 column wide) indicated that they were still developing the modifications, and there was undoubtedly more to come in terms of performance. I'd guess that it'll top out just over 200BHP, but the 0-60 time will come down a bit further.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As has been reported a couple of weeks ago, the works kit deffinetly does not affect the warranty (straight from JCG). The only thing thats up in the air at the moment is the TLC

I did read in Evo ( UK magazine) that they were running it test mule at 208BHP !!!

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
261 Posts
MichaelK said:
As has been reported a couple of weeks ago, the works kit deffinetly does not affect the warranty (straight from JCG). The only thing thats up in the air at the moment is the TLC

I did read in Evo ( UK magazine) that they were running it test mule at 208BHP !!!

Cheers

Michael
...Cue music (song 2 from BLUR) Woo-Hoo!!!

:cool: :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Spoolin' said:

...Cue music (song 2 from BLUR) Woo-Hoo!!!

:cool: :D
...And cue police sirens "WOO-oo, WOO-oo, WOO-oo"!

...Rapidly fading into the rear distance:D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hola amigos long time no see!!! A 200 bhp MINI wow!!:eek: I hope this comes in time for my vehicle I already have 4grand saved for the car and I have not driven it. I have driven the Hyundai Tiburon 4 cylinder:eek: , the Nissan Spec V:) the Acura RS 160 hp:p , the WOW Subaru WRX :D (loved this one) the Toyota Matrix :p and am still a believer on the MINI I have not driven I hope I dont feel dissapointed:( when I drive the darn thing whenever that comes out. Let me know of this guys I am very interested on the 200 hp one!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
i live in austrailia too (me from sydney) and that my mini cooper S will arrive in oct/nov.
i am as well interested in the cooper S works conversion kit .
so it will be available in mini retailer right?
and also how much roughtly australian dollars will it cost including installation?

·
Registered
468 Posts
erichui said:
i live in austrailia too (me from sydney) and that my mini cooper S will arrive in oct/nov.
i am as well interested in the cooper S works conversion kit .
so it will be available in mini retailer right?
and also how much roughtly australian dollars will it cost including installation?
As far as I know, BMW Australia is expecting it to be "around $10,000". That's a lot of money for 30kw. There has been others here who thinks it will be about $7000. Let's hope for the best. My car is starting to feel slow already. I need the extra power!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know it may come as unwanted, but for about 1/3 the price there are two or three other companies offering better performance. well over 200BHP. have a look in the tuning section of this site.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i was told it was more like 6K AUD...:rolleyes:

and yes, i just had another test drive:cool: and it's beginning to feel slow.... or maybe i just gained weight :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts