MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
pbarclay do you mind letting me know where you had your remap? I am in Cheshire and have thought about this...

I too went from an S to a D. My driving style is very relaxed so don't really miss the S (had an auto) so was always overriding the box with the paddles. I do too many miles for an S and love how much money I save. I find you get good pulling power and the ride is nowhere near as painful! Cornering is still fantastic

The next for me will be Dooper Convertible - finally it is here! I would have gone for that last year when I bought this one if it had been available
Try here P-torque cooper d group buy! - totalMINI Forums
But be quick there is only a few spaces left.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Ady. Bit too soon for me though as I won't get it past the Mrs just yet, just got married and bought a house so every last penny is accounted for at the minute! Thanks for the heads up though!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not necessarly, I went from a R56 D to R56 S and now to a R55 D. Tyre and brake wear is is dependant upon how you drive, for sure the S is faster but the D can be driven spirited also.
Comparing a 175ps car with a 108ps car and saying that there isn't necessarily a difference in tyre, brake and exhaust wear, is frankly ludicrous. Driving them the same way fast or slow or a mixture of both you would wear an S tyres quicker than a D as it is much quicker.. Likewise to an extent other components. I can also conclude that overall the D's will mainly be driven more conservatively as the main selling point is surely the consumption - this will then surely increase the tyre life as a result of slower driving?

Petrol Mini's are bought to rev and diesels are bought to save money?

Yes I would rather have an S or even a JCW but whats the point if you dont use the power - so you drive them harder anyway? (I can't afford to pay so much fuel duty+vat that the S or JCW would cost me on my 400 miles a week average..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Driving them the same way fast or slow or a mixture of both you would wear an S tyres quicker than a D as it is much quicker..
I think this is an "it depends" scenario. I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to drive cars that are well out of my price range and while they're capable of obscene speeds, on the public roads I don't really drive them any faster than my Panda 100hp (which gets hooned everywhere). I suspect that the more powerful cars are actually less stressed in this kind of driving than the Panda.

However, I completely agree with you about motivations for buying a diesel car and while I'm looking forward to the prospect of owning an economical car that happens to be fun to drive, I'm really going to miss the rev-happy "hooligan" nature of a petrol engine. :D

Chris

·
Registered
640 Posts
Is the Dooper engine much heavier than an S? Thats the usual reason diesel cars use tyres at a greater rate, that and I guess the increased torque perhaps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is the Dooper engine much heavier than an S? Thats the usual reason diesel cars use tyres at a greater rate, that and I guess the increased torque perhaps.
I'd say it's more likely the increased torque as the tyres will usually have a higher load rating to cater for a heavier car (can't comment on the MINI). Again, I think it comes down to how you drive it and I've never really noticed higher tyre wear on a diesel.

Chris

·
Registered
46 Posts
The tyre wear on my MINI Cooper D has been excellent on 16" Goodyear runflats. I get about 18,000 miles from my front tyres, despite driving for pace rather than economy and with an ECU upgrade.

Very pleased to hear that the Cooper S D model has now been officially announced today.

If only they had called it the John Cooper Works Diesel, I would have pursued my claim to have a test model on extended loan: if you Google "John Cooper Works Diesel", the first hit remains
http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-generation-works/153665-john-cooper-works-diesel.html

Apparently it is going to be available on all models. There are going to be a lot to choose from by next year, although I am not convinced that any of them fully match the style of the standard hatchback. I think I will squeeze another year out of my current car and enjoy refining the options list, once I know what will be included in the Cooper S D Chilli pack.:smile:

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
I've just done the same thing. But for financial reasons. As much as I'd love a new or keep my old Cooper S; fuel is going up, the Cooper S isn't going to get any more efficient and I have other priorities on my mind. I know I'm going to miss the speed but the MPG is more important than the 0 - 60 time. Being at 24, I seriously need to save up for a flat/house.

I did manage to bag a Cooper D with loads of toys at just over 200/month on a Select deal. Damn low APR and I know I'll save because of the great MPG, no tax, less insurance and saving over a 100/month compared with the Cooper S on outgoings.

Something had to give but at least I didn't have to go as far as giving up a MINI totally.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
Tunster
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing