MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have recently bought a 2002 cooper s and last night when using the foot brake i noticed a loud whirring noise NOT squeeky or screeching or knocking just a loud whirring noise that was coming from the passenger side, i then decided to try gentle braking with handbrake and it made the same noise does this identify that its rear passenger side brake problem?
Also any ideas what this maybe? as ive never heard this type of noise before when having brake problems on previous cars.....
I took the rear wheel of last night and couldnt find any obvious cause.
Any suggestions are most welcome

Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Just realised that the passenger side rear brake disc is grooved and the drivers side isn't, does this explain that whirling noise?

Front drivers: vented with black pad?
Front passengers: vented with ebc greenstuff
Rear drivers: solid with ebc greenstuff
Rear passenger: grooved with ebc greenstuff

Great.....Dodgy ppl who owned this before me.... not sure what do you recommend to change?

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Firstly
Welcome to MINI 2

Secondly
I would be tempted to take your car back to where you bought it from, was it a dealer, independent trader (none MINI) or a private sale.

I can not believe that any car could have this combination of braking components - these are '' mission critical safety items ''

Where are you based - I am sure someone could recommend somewhere for you to take your car to get it sorted. Or are you good at DIY and interested i n getting your hands dirty?

It sounds to me like this needs sorting ASAP - does the car even brake in a straight line ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

thankyou for the help, the car is a stolen recovered vehicle (many parts where taken of the car) and the dodgy home dealer i got it of was the one who got it from the insurance company and had replaced the parts.
I did basic checks when buying the car but didnt check if all brake discs and pads where the same.
However the noise was definetly from the 1 grooved disc, ive now got standard disc for rear and getting new pads for both front so everything should be balanced.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts