MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The funniest thing Ive seen in my rear view mirror for a long time.

Respect to whoever it was that had a go :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point so why bother trying. My CTR made a cooper s look stupid to 100 never mind adding 100 plus ponies.

I was just amused that one of you guys had the balls to try it on. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Broccers from civictype-r.org forums I take it, who had a friendly banter going on with mnangrybeats for a while?

Stop stirring the manure and get back on the M-coupe forums.

Watch that tail on the M this winter, it really LOVES to snap out on the poor surface conditions. ;)

Henry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My fame proceeds me :D

Mick, angybeats is a friend of mine so that was all good fun. Out of interest what sort of quarter miles are the tuned coops doing these days ?

Not here to do anything than say hats off to one of your fold having a pop 80 - *** on the M1. I wouldve done the same with my Type R and had my **** royally handed me on a plate too :)

As for watching the rear end - same goes with any RWD car at this time of year. A mate with me toady was telling a story of his Spitfire having a whoooops moment on a roundabout last week. Down to your own skill and experience really.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My older brother has an M Coupe, and from experience I know it is a ****ing awesome car.
Recently Top Gear did a track test of every M series car BMW have ever produced and recorded all of their times. First was the new M3 CSL, second was the current M3, and third was the M Coupe. I have been in the car when my brother has had a 'heavy footed' moment, and to be honest it scared the living **** out of me. They are seriously fast cars, and their handling and brakes are equally unbelievable. The difference in weight between the MCS and the M Coupe is minimal, but our proud little MCS's only have 163-170 bhp, whereas the M Coupe has 325bhp, and has rear tires the size beer kegs to get that power to the road. Many of us here like to have a go :D , but Broccers, if you like a race, pick on someone your own size :p

DISCLAIMER: adamlondon (TM) and all affiliates thereof in no way condone street racing. Any reference to racing is implying that such activity is undertaken on a track or private road, and be supervised by professionals. Kids, don't do drugs.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Broccers said:
Good point so why bother trying. My CTR made a cooper s look stupid to 100 never mind adding 100 plus ponies.

I was just amused that one of you guys had the balls to try it on. ;)
Thats quite funny because my Cooper S made a CTR look a bit stupid the other day :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
I sold an M Coupe to buy a JCW Cooper S. I would also have found it very amusing for a Mini to have a go in a straight line when i had it - you could make just about anybody look stupid if they tried it on. I used to love the CTR boys having a go :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChrisBuer said:
Thats quite funny because my Cooper S made a CTR look a bit stupid the other day :p
It wont have been into any bends my friend - green stuff pads are rubbish. :) Also the two cars are pretty equal in a straight line.

Bert - regarding fuel economy would you say your Works was much better than the M ?
Are you glad you switched ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
MCBert said:
I sold an M Coupe to buy a JCW Cooper S. I would also have found it very amusing for a Mini to have a go in a straight line when i had it - you could make just about anybody look stupid if they tried it on. I used to love the CTR boys having a go :D
I'm the other Breadvan > JCW Cooper S convert. MCBert is right, not much can touch it in a straight line. In fact for the year that I had it, the only 4 wheeled thing that overtook me, had 911 turbo on the back.

Broccers:
The MPG is pretty similar. The M Coupe used to do 200-210 miles on a (pitifully small) 50ltr tank. Isn't the Cooper the same capacity? and gets about 230 miles, so both are about 24-26 mpg.

I'm very glad to have switched, mostly becuase it's allowing me to do 2 weeks in Fernie this winter, but also because the S works is LOTS of fun in the twisty bits. O.k. the M coupe was quicker in a straight line and a bit more exclusive, but the S works is making me grin just as much. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Broccers said:
Bert - regarding fuel economy would you say your Works was much better than the M ?
Are you glad you switched ?
Broccers, I find my fuel economy is a bit better in the Mini than it was in the M. I used to get about 200 miles to a tank in the M. As Raify says, it's the same size as the Mini. I had my JCW fitted 2 weeks ago, swiftly followed by an MTH upgrade. Since this I've been getting around 260 miles from a tank. Before the JCW I was getting about 300 miles. All in all, not a bad drop consdiering the performance difference.

Am I glad I switched? Mostly yes. I occasionally miss that manic speed, but it's not very often you could actually use all of the performance (I live near to Birmingham). I have spent the last few years trying to find the 'perfect car'. I went through a succession of fast cars - the M was certainly not the fastest thing I've owned - and have come to the conclusion that fast does not always equal fun. You tend to spend more time in a very fast car trying to find a suitable moment to use the performance, and when you do it's all over in a few seconds by which time you're doing very naughty speeds.

So, all in all, yes I'm glad I switched - but, then again, ask me again in 12 months ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers all. Interesting on the mpg front.

With regards to using the performance of the M or your MINIs or even my tremdous CTR ;) is that you are always going to get into bother speeding no matter how far over the limit you are - track and airfield days are where you can seriously play. Out of interest did you ever take your Ms around a track or go on any tuition days like Don Palmer for instance ?

While Im a pretty good driver and have had a few track lessons in my time I think to feel the benefit of a cars full performance needs to be taught / learned. Again the road isnt the place for this either.

Take it easy

Simon.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Broccers said:
It wont have been into any bends my friend - green stuff pads are rubbish. :) Also the two cars are pretty equal in a straight line.
Horses for courses really mate :)

I don't have Green Stuff pads anymore and yes they aren't great at all. In the bends my work collegues Focus RS can't pull any distance from me so I doubt a CTR would.

I do read a lot of rubbish about the mini to be fair. I spent a lot of time on the Clio Sport forums through a friend of mine and they always rave about the CTR and now the new Golf GTI.

Thing I can't understand is that the Mini handles better than them (when properly lowered and setup + ditch the rubbish runflats). The Mini is lighter than both, has a higher bhp, higher torque figure, a higher power to weight ratio and is generally more driveable. But its all down to personal preference so if the CTR floats your boat, then good for you :)

All the best :D

Chris.

P.S. A lowered Clio Cup would obliterate them all :( I've seen it firsthand. Not even my old Elise could touch that!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shame on you for reading Cliosport and taking anything they type seriously :)

The Cups are actually quicker than the Type R over a quarter to be fair - shame they arent built very well. The Honda was 'cheap' on the inside but the overall package for 15 odd grand was great ... until it got nicked :(.

The CTR also was woefully badly set up out of the box too and I was amazed what a 4 wheel align did to the car - how they let the cars out of Swindon like that I'll never know.

As for the brakes I thought the DS2500 I popped in were quite good ..... anything is quite good compared to Green Suff id say ;)

End of the day its all down to the driver.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ChrisBuer said:
Horses for courses really mate :)

I don't have Green Stuff pads anymore and yes they aren't great at all. In the bends my work collegues Focus RS can't pull any distance from me so I doubt a CTR would.

I do read a lot of rubbish about the mini to be fair. I spent a lot of time on the Clio Sport forums through a friend of mine and they always rave about the CTR and now the new Golf GTI.

Thing I can't understand is that the Mini handles better than them (when properly lowered and setup + ditch the rubbish runflats). The Mini is lighter than both, has a higher bhp, higher torque figure, a higher power to weight ratio and is generally more driveable. But its all down to personal preference so if the CTR floats your boat, then good for you :)

All the best :D

Chris.

P.S. A lowered Clio Cup would obliterate them all :( I've seen it firsthand. Not even my old Elise could touch that!!
It swings and roundabouts mate. At the recent Autocar track day (Rockingham) there was a Clio Cup on Eibach coilovers and he couldn't keep up with me in the corners. Neither could a 111R Elise driven by Chris Harris. I am not the world's best driver, so my car is very quick in the bends, and corners like a pancake. Then again I have a finely tuned Spax coilover setup and the BBR gripper suspension mod that simply rules on track. All I need for my next trackday is a Quaife LSD...Please make you donations as of today...thank you :D :p

Henry

·
Registered
511 Posts
Broccers said:
Shame on you for reading Cliosport and taking anything they type seriously :)

The Cups are actually quicker than the Type R over a quarter to be fair - shame they arent built very well. The Honda was 'cheap' on the inside but the overall package for 15 odd grand was great ... until it got nicked :(.

The CTR also was woefully badly set up out of the box too and I was amazed what a 4 wheel align did to the car - how they let the cars out of Swindon like that I'll never know.

As for the brakes I thought the DS2500 I popped in were quite good ..... anything is quite good compared to Green Suff id say ;)

End of the day its all down to the driver.
I agree. When the 'Driving Tales' section of the forum was open the little kiddies on there didn't half spout some :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: ;) Glad they closed it. It could have cost more young lives as a result if they had left it open :mad:

Henry

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hehe I know it was bad reading the Clio Sport forums, but like I say, it was through a good friend of mine that invited me along to one of their meetings once. Lets say I'd not go again!! :)

The driving tales section was a joke and has quite rightfully been shut down after a death of one of their members. If you want to race cars, take them to a track!

Supercoopers, I'd be interested to hear more about your setup, it sounds amazing!

Broccers, who make the DS2500's ? I need to try some better pads before I start considering something like a full Brembo system.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
For the money Chris, you will not get a better handling MCS than my car (not arrogance, the truth ;) ).

Spax coilovers = 695 quid (installed myself, dialled in by the pros)
BBR Gripper Suspension = 550 quid

Seeing a 111R Elise driven by a highly prized motoring journalist spin feet in front of you cos he can't stand the heat from a MINI = $$ PRICELESS $$ :D ;)

The 'dialling in' process is the most critical part of the process IMHO. Anyone who has a Spax coilover kit and wants advice on settings for road and track, please PM me.

Henry

p.s. Check out www.bbrgti.com for the gripper suspension mod. It's amazing. Full stop. It fully neutralises understeer, but just watch out that snap oversteer if you cook it (yes, I did spin out a few times on track but I was pushing hard to get past that pesky Elise :p)

·
Registered
882 Posts
supercoopers said:
For the money Chris, you will not get a better handling MCS than my car (not arrogance, the truth ;) ).

Spax coilovers = 695 quid (installed myself, dialled in by the pros)
BBR Gripper Suspension = 550 quid

Seeing a 111R Elise driven by a highly prized motoring journalist spin feet in front of you cos he can't stand the heat from a MINI = $$ PRICELESS $$ :D ;)

The 'dialling in' process is the most critical part of the process IMHO. Anyone who has a Spax coilover kit and wants advice on settings for road and track, please PM me.

Henry

p.s. Check out www.bbrgti.com for the gripper suspension mod. It's amazing. Full stop. It fully neutralises understeer, but just watch out that snap oversteer if you cook it (yes, I did spin out a few times on track but I was pushing hard to get past that pesky Elise :p)
Sound amazing!!

I've got the car booked in for the next stage JCW upgrade in a couple of weeks but I'd definately look at this suspension mod. I've got 30mm Schnitzer springs on the car, but according to the BBR website, they use the standard springs. Do you think it is likely they will be able to utilise my current spring setup with the Powergrip suspension?

It does handle well at the moment for sure, but more grip would be a lot better :D

Cheers!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
The gripper suspension mod is intended for use with the standard springs/dampeners, but its benefits are inherent in all types of suspension modifications. I notice the benefits even with the coilovers, but they are more noticeable in a standard setup. That being said, I didn't find the standard settings with the gripper suspension particularly safe for road use. It definitely handles better (obviously!) with the coilovers and is safer as well.

Going on what I know, I would say that the gripper suspension mod would be beneficial to you if you race on track or drive v. spiritedly on the road. Just watch the back end flicking out. It is also a dealer 'stealthy' mod ;)

Henry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.