MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im agonising right now. buying brand new, have the funds for a fast hatch - but at the high end its narrowed down to just the cooper s. reasons:

clio 197 - dont like the high revving engine, too much work, new car now much too big.

corsa vxr - way too chavvy looking, would be nicked/vandalised very quickly. also, again - just too damn big compared to the old corsa's.

so it would have been a simple decision...but i do just love the swift sport - i know its nowhere near the power..but its had great reviews and after trying one i can confirm its solidly built, handles well, great equipment list etc - and can snaffle a new one fully specced for a mere £11k!!!

much as the cooper s is a far better car in absolute terms of power, build quality etc the swift is not at all bad - and when you compare £19k to £11k....well, my little voice in my head has started nagging me about even considering spending £8k more for the cooper s!

i tend to keep my cars for many many years so the argument about residuals doesnt apply as much as if i was trading in after 2/3 years.

how can i justify this amount of additional expense??!!!!! :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i know everyone will say buy the mini - its the justification thats not so easy - they're well overpriced, even with how good they are!!!

mark, yea thats an idea - but just for once in my life i really fancy a brand new car :)

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
yea i know everyone will say buy the mini - its the justification thats not so easy - they're well overpriced, even with how good they are!!!

mark, yea thats an idea - but just for once in my life i really fancy a brand new car :)
Best thing to do...

Go test drove both again (or for the first time if you havent already). Compare them personally and see what you fancy on instinct rather than looking at them on paper. I thought I was easily going to go for the Focus ST, but fell in love with the Cooper S as soon as I test drove it.

After you test drive them both, you'll see whether you want to spend extra on a car thats cool, holds it value better than any other car, quicker probably and very easy to drive.

Good luck :).

·
Registered
131 Posts
My girlfiends brother has just today got a swift sport in black - I thought it was well smart, really impressed. Those exhaust pipes look the nuts too!!

Mini is the better car, but if you're stretching to pay the extra money for the mini then I'd go for the swift. The talk about good residuals on the mini is false in my opinion, as the market is flooded with second hand minis, which means prices drop. Also, how do you sleep at night after speccing up a mini and paying over 20k plus...

I've got a mini btw..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea that is the problem - after driving both the cooper s is better, but then for nearly twice the amount it should be. and the swift is perfectly good within its sector.

i can afford the mini without stretching, but thats not to say i wouldnt think about that extra £8k or so at all after paying for it!

need to decide whether i can justifty it over what is a perfectly acceptable (and i agree, pretty good looking car), especially the exhausts and front end) - i havent test driven a regular cooper, but i understand thats more the level of performance that the swift sport has?

s33gav, do you have a cooper s or regular cooper yourself?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a cooper s.

You are correct, the swift is more of a competitor for the Cooper, not the S, and I'd say it was the better car than the Cooper too. For me, the performance of the MCS means I'd choose that, but if performance wasn't the issue, and I was choosing between the standard cooper and swift, I'd take the swift.

You get climate control, nice sports seats, multi function steering wheel, cd/mp3 as standard on the swift too.

Have you thougth of the fiesta st also? I'd say that was in between both cars on the performance front, and I've driven one on track and really liked it. Bargain warm hatch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i hadnt considering the fiesta st, will have to have a look at that i think.

but yea, the swift is an incredible bargain too, its whats making me hesitate. i do want performance, and there was a big difference between the cooper s and the swift - although the swift was by no means a slouch..and coming from a fiat seicento i probably noticed that all the more!

hmmmm there are a few fraught days and weeks ahead i think. if i buy the swift sport i could regret not having the performance of the cooper s, if i buy the cooper s i could regret all the extra outlay for that performance.

i suppose i shouldnt complain so - not the worst decisions to have to make, but still annoying in its own way!

will go and check the fiesta out tho, maybe that could solve the problem :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
also with the fiest st they do a factory upgrade, can't remember what it's called, that ups power to about 175, so cooper s territory, plus you can get some good deals on them - in fact you can get good deals on most cars other than mini's :)

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
to be fair the st doesn't really compare to a mcs, the next version maybe but not the current..........and I'm a life long Ford fan, with the upgrade your looking at similar money

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...yes, after doing some online research on the fiesta i came to pretty much the same conclusion.

so again, comes down to the cooper s vs value! im going over it all, and plan to test drive both again over the next week or so - will keep you posted on my thoughts and final decision

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
...yes, after doing some online research on the fiesta i came to pretty much the same conclusion.

so again, comes down to the cooper s vs value! im going over it all, and plan to test drive both again over the next week or so - will keep you posted on my thoughts and final decision
What about the New Clio Cup.. A balance in between the 2 then maybe, if you cant justify the expense of the mini..;)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

The Cooper 's' can be bought new for less than £20K depending on the spec'.

I would recommend the following basics: -
a) Chilly Pack
b) LSD i.e. Limited Slip Differential

The rest depends on your budget.

I bought an MCS last year after owning a Civic Type-R, and am delighted with it :D

·
Clubman 'S' Power
343 Posts
I have never test drove a swift sport but have which the corsa vxr and clio 197 and come nowhere near to the fun ride of my cooper S. Normally people buying a swift cannot afford a mini. And they get a swift because it looks like a mini. JUST REMEMBER THAT A SWIFT IS NOT A GENUINE MINI.

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Get a MINI :D

But if you must have a Swift, please don't put bonnet stripes on it!

And if you buy a Fiesta now, you will kick yourself in a few months when the new model comes out, look at this! :eek::cool:

Attachments

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Get a MINI :D

But if you must have a Swift, please don't put bonnet stripes on it!

And if you buy a Fiesta now, you will kick yourself in a few months when the new model comes out, look at this! :eek::cool:
Actually, might it be best to wait until this car comes out anyway - even if you don't want it? :confused: You could use it as 'the competition' to negotiate the price down on a Swift or Cooper S, even if you decide you don't want the Fiesta/Focus anyway. ;)

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the recent comments - well, dont worry i wouldnt ever put stripes on the swift if i did get one! i think the mini is one of the very few cars that they actually look good on, without looking naff, tacky or chavvy!

and i wouldnt be buying the swift as a copycat mini or because it looks like it - it genuinely has had great reviews and comments and after driving it i can confirm its a pretty good warm hatch. have to rev it a bit, but to be expected with its engine.

if i was younger would probably go straight for the mini, can afford either without stretching, but financial prudence is one of the bad (or good) things about getting older i suppose!

will see how the 2nd test drives go this weekend (got both lined up day after each other now) and go from there.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts