MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just just bought a brand new cooper s on 01/09/04. Since i got it it has not been runing smooth.Quite often when im in traffic the revs will drop off and the rev counter will bob about a bit,sometimes cutting out.Even when i am driving it does not always excelarate smoothly,there feels there is a bit of a delay and a cough,but other times it is perfect.
The garage had it for 2 days and it did not put a foot wrong!! Then it started again.I thought it may have something to do with it being quater full.I took it back to the garage again and they did suggest trying super unleaded,what a difference!
Unfortunatly this may result in me getting rid of the car after 5 weeks,no where sells super plus near me and the one it did try was 98p a ltr!!
Can anyone help me here as i don't want the car to go and lose loads of money.Is this right,super plus!,or is there a problem somewhere.????
Also i have had a rattling under the bonnet when i start it up and as soon as the clutch is pressed it stops.The garage says they need to put a new gear box in which sounds a bit drastic,but its under warrenty.
And one more thing anyone had their windows going down on their own? I have,soaking wet leather seats in the morning great!
Hopefully someone can help as i don't want to lose my lovely mini!

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
bobbi600 said:
I have just just bought a brand new cooper s on 01/09/04. Since i got it it has not been runing smooth.Quite often when im in traffic the revs will drop off and the rev counter will bob about a bit,sometimes cutting out.Even when i am driving it does not always excelarate smoothly,there feels there is a bit of a delay and a cough,but other times it is perfect.
The garage had it for 2 days and it did not put a foot wrong!! Then it started again.I thought it may have something to do with it being quater full.I took it back to the garage again and they did suggest trying super unleaded,what a difference!
Unfortunatly this may result in me getting rid of the car after 5 weeks,no where sells super plus near me and the one it did try was 98p a ltr!!
Can anyone help me here as i don't want the car to go and lose loads of money.Is this right,super plus!,or is there a problem somewhere.????
Also i have had a rattling under the bonnet when i start it up and as soon as the clutch is pressed it stops.The garage says they need to put a new gear box in which sounds a bit drastic,but its under warrenty.
And one more thing anyone had their windows going down on their own? I have,soaking wet leather seats in the morning great!

Um... no it will run on 93 RON petrol that you cant even get in this country. So the standard 95RON should be fine! But optimax 98octane is always good for a boost! I'd say there is something much more wrong than the petrol.

Have you had the car blessed? cause it sound like its not a happy car.... might be posessed!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi
Have had my cooper S since January 03. I have never used anything other than ordinary unleaded not optimax and it's been fine. I did have a problem with the car unlocking and the front windows dropping an inch or two. This was put right by the dealer and has not recurred. Don't know what they did.

Richard
bobbi600 said:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
bobbi600 said:
Sounds like you have a few probs :(
Had the same problem on my March 2004 MCS, which could've beeen the clutch release bearing, but after having the problem fully checked out my car had a new gearbox in at 6000miles and has run spot on ever since. The dealership that fixed the car was my local dealership. I bought the car from a dealership about 120miles away from me, when I told them about the problem they said they had a MCS in that came off the production line at the same time as mine with the same problem, that had also had a new gearbox in and no problems since.
But sounds like you may have a few other probs, mine runs on Shell Optimax or BP's equivalent when no Optimax available, on the odd rare occasion I havent been able to get to BP or Shell ive put ordinary unleaded in and it runs fine, as it should do, as ordinary unleaded should be fine in any MCS.
Think you have some issues that need sorting asap, if nno joy with your dealership get onto Mini customer service to give them a kick up the bum

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
bobbi600 said:

My old Cooper S yo-yoed, hated traffic and was generally bad tempered even though no dealership found a problem with it. I was advised by a mechanic that if I read the manual I should be running it on Superunleaded. It didn't say that in the manual and a tankful of the stuff made no difference either. My new Cooper S confirms that the old one was just never, ever right.

If your car brand new - be really firm with the dealership or BMW themselves... those faults you list are absolutely unacceptable.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just a thought with regards to your windows going down, I just bought my wife a 02 mini one and I actually read the book which said to hold down the unlock button on key and the boot will open itself. It worked so I tried it on my 05 MO and guess what happens both windows go down.... quite cool but useless because you got to use the key in lock or buttons on dash to put them back up.
Asked dealer new feature apparently....... try it, they do honestly,

Mark

·
Registered
171 Posts
Being from the states, I'm not sure if the terminology is the same, but the owner's manual says the vehicle will only run on Super Unleaded, which is 93 octane here.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Hammer said:
Being from the states, I'm not sure if the terminology is the same, but the owner's manual says the vehicle will only run on Super Unleaded, which is 93 octane here.
Really? so what is normal fuel over there then? 91octane?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
super plus mini

Thanks guys for your help.
I no about the thing with the lock button which drops your windows if you hold it down long enough,but unfortunatly i have not had the keys on me when the windows go down!spooky!!
The garage have turned off the part of the car just incase it is doing it on its own.
Not totally sure if the car is happier now on super unleaded as it tried cutting out again last night,but it is so much smoother to drive in traffic with the stuff.It seems to acelerate instantly now with out a slight jurky delay,confused now,told the garage i wanted my money back.Would'nt care but i had a cooper before this which was perfect and never put a foot wrong,i think its out to get me for getting rid of it!
When i got the car for the 1st couple of weeks it was a bit slow on starting but that seems to be ok now.
The car that i traded in for my previous cooper was a bad car,never out the garage,that was new too,i hope i am not going to go through the same again.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :( :dark: :dark: :dark:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe your gearbox / tranny problem is related to your slow speed problem?

I've had my new Cooper S for a couple of weeks.
Only run it on Optimax and it's been fine except for the first week - it stumbled once pulling out of a junction, and I stalled it reversing up my parents (really steep) drive.

It's starting to loosen up nicely - try taking a couple of trips to the limiter with the ASC+T off ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
This feature is very usefull to me.
In the summer the car would get very hot inside. By using this feature I can let most of the hot air out without opening the door first and get inside to push the switch :cool: .

bigtent said:
Just a thought with regards to your windows going down, I just bought my wife a 02 mini one and I actually read the book which said to hold down the unlock button on key and the boot will open itself. It worked so I tried it on my 05 MO and guess what happens both windows go down.... quite cool but useless because you got to use the key in lock or buttons on dash to put them back up.
Asked dealer new feature apparently....... try it, they do honestly,

Mark

·
Registered
700 Posts
Europeans have different octane ratings, our "super" which is generally 93 octane is not 93 in England (not sure what it is, though).

However, there are still three main grade of fuel at most stations: Regular, Mid-grade, and "super" or something similar. In intend to use super in my MINI unless someone convinces me that another fuel is equal.

How about everyone else?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
In the UK we have:

Premium Unleaded - 95octane
SuperUnleaded - 97octane
Optimax or BP ultimate - 98octane.

I think 93 octane is probably the minimum a mini would run on with out pinking taking place! Personally id use the best fuel you can get your hands on!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts