MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife used to have a Cooper and misses it and as I’m boarded with my Audi A3 (3.2Q) we’re going to downsize and get a Cooper-S Works.

With my budget of £14k and max preferred mileage of 20k from the looks of things will be looking at a 2005 model.

Would be very grateful of any buying advice you could give and what to look out for etc.

A few quick questions already:

When did the extra 10bhp (or whatever it is) upgrade come out, i.e. will a 2005 car be the higher output?

Is there any difference to cars having the kit retro-fitted or fitted from new? – are these referred to differently?

A few adverts refer to the LSD, some don’t, was this an option or part of a pack or just standard after a certain date?

(2005 is the Generation 1 model isn’t it? presume Gen 2 must be the 06/07 model when the S went Turbocharged)

Many thanks, Mark

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Hi Mark,

I recently purchased a MCS JCW and spent £13400 for an 05 reg, 18K, chilli, JCW 18" wheels, JCW brake kit so for £14K you'll be able to find a good example. Mine was through a dealer so the price was tad higher as it comes with cherished warranty and breakdown cover. Had a few scratches but somewhat expected from a 3 year old car.

This may be an expensive alternative and depends what you like but you could find a good MCS example and go straight to the Motorsport 225 conversion. This was in essence the stage 2 JCW conversion for gen 1 MCSs which was never officially offered by Mini. I'm looking at this as we speak but to go from my JCW 210 to 225 will cost £1500 all in, so unsure of how much a standard MCS to 225 would cost.:confused:

I believe the 54 reg cars had the 10BHP upgrade which i believe was uprated injectors and some tweeking to the ECU.

I don't think there is any difference to ones with retro fittings or from the production line. Retro fitting was obviously more expensive and i think there is a light hearted snobbery for those who had it fitted from the production line!!! :D

The LSD was offered i believe from 2005 onwards so i guess technically 54 reg cars onwards could have had it fitted from the production line.

The final gen 1 Minis ended with the GP which was built on 06 and 56 regs. The GEN 2 minis (MCS turbo) started production in summer of 2006 and were on 56 reg onwards. Please correct me anyone if they think this is incorrect.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Looks like you got a good buy there, am looking for something similar myself, there are a few in Pistonheads as well as Autotrader, just fancy one in grey with black roof and mirrors.

Spoke to a friend this morning who previously had a MCS who paid circa £4k to have the JCW kit fitted, although luckily they ‘only’ seem to be around £1k more than a MCS for the respective age and mileage.

So to confirm, a 2005 car will have the 210bhp engine and the LSD as standard.

Any other things to look out for?

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Will not have a LSD as standard....this was an option. Standard on a GP.

54 reg onwards will be 210BHP...although pretty much all JCWs will find it hard to push that out. Hence why so many people tune them a little further.

Grey with black roof would be very nice. I've had a MCS in pepper white with black roof, a GP and now a JCW in black with white roof and carbon fibre mirror caps. My opinion is the contrasting roof colour works well. I personally think that a JCW in white with the black roof, possibly black wheels and aero kit is the dogs bollongos!!! White is for the brave though!! ;-)

I'd keep your eye out on here....what you want to find is a sucker like me who spends 1000s on their car and then only reaps around 20% of the costs on resale...hey presto...a good example JCW, well looked after if it's someone on here for good money. I've already spent £3k on mine and may spend more but i have to suck it up that mine wont be worth £3k more...if you see what i mean. Take a look in the classifieds on here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Why not buy a standard S and then mod it to get the power you want... It's a lot cheaper than going for a Works. You may find that just changing the pulley will give you close to or more than a JCW. All for less than £400.00...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I had made my mind up already: grey with black roof and then will get the JCW carbon bonnet-scoop, mirror housings and boot thing.

I’ve spent 10’s of thousands tuning cars up in the past and like you say don’t get a fraction back at resale, so will go for the JCW with the kit already fitted and then keep to OEM Mini/JCW stuff after that.

The JCW engine kit looks well thought out anyway so am happy to pay extra for it rather than go aftermarket.

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
Speak with Chris at Derek Woodmans mini for any JCW accessories.....he's the man with the deals!!!

Around £1550 for JCW full leather recaro seats fitted!!!

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
A few quick questions already:

When did the extra 10bhp (or whatever it is) upgrade come out, i.e. will a 2005 car be the higher output?

Is there any difference to cars having the kit retro-fitted or fitted from new? – are these referred to differently?

A few adverts refer to the LSD, some don’t, was this an option or part of a pack or just standard after a certain date?

(2005 is the Generation 1 model isn’t it? presume Gen 2 must be the 06/07 model when the S went Turbocharged)

Many thanks, Mark
2005 car defo 210 - Cars which have had the extra 10bhp retrofitted will be the prefacelift versions so will have slightly longer gears and ever so slightly heavier crank pulley i.e. slightly slower acceleration (v. slightly).

I hear what your saying about keeping it standard JCW then only official extras - if you keep theparts you replace with JCW bits then you can return the car to as you bought it and then sell the parts on here - always willing buyers for JCW bits and bobs. I have the CF bonnet scoop, mirror caps and boot release and they look superb in the sun! :)

Only one thing that I can think of off the top of my head to look out for - make sure you have the yellow coolant header tank (I think the facelift cars all have this anyway to be honest) because the white ones are prone to leaking coolant. Although if you get your car from a dealer this will be covered if it does go wrong anyhow :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, had a successful weekend, sold my Audi and have found and put a deposit down on a JCW.

Its grey with grey roof and mirrors, the JCW engine pack and also the JCW brakes plus usual extras including the LSD, its 2006 (Jan) done 16k and is in mint condition, from a dealer for £14,250.

So come Saturday I will be the proud owner of a JCW!!

Now two quick questions:

What exactly is upgraded with the JCW brakes?, plus is it just the fronts?.

Is it an R53?

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
First off congratulations that sounds a lovely car!

2006 car is an R53.

JCW brake upgrade consists of: New larger front calipers (in red), larger front discs and upgraded pads. Rears you get upgraded pads.

Enjoy your car!!! :)

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
There's a silver '03 plate Works with 44k coming up for sale at my friend's garage this week. If anyone is interested pm me and I can find out more details.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked the car up yesterday, had a good 70 mile drive home and the wife loves it so all is well in the Williams household.

What I hadn’t realised until yesterday is that the Works pack was from new, so it also has slightly different front and rear bumpers which look a bit meaner.

Will give it a proper clean and polish this afternoon.

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts