MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Sorry for asking this question but I need advice from current owners.

I am looking into buying a 2010/2011 JCW or Cooper SD hatches, I have it narrowed down to two cars but cannot decide between them so hopefully can get some owners feedback.

1) What are the realistic MPG figures from either car? I have seen and laughed at the factory figures so I could do with real world figures.

2) Other than the engine difference, is the handling/suspension similar?

3) Reliability? Any known issues with either car? I know about the death rattle of the JCW but is that all that affects the car?
I think that is all for now, I might think of other questions but I want to go with a bit more knowledge this weekend when I have the car's both sat next to each other.

· Registered
13,599 Posts
i would walk away from the diesel n47 diesel engined mini really will become a money pit around 70-100k ie new dpf filter, new timing chain and thats a engine out job, also around 100k the dmf and clutch would need doing at same time as chain, 2k plus bill, i stopped buying bmw diesels when they designed them totally not good fo the owner not a if it does its a when it does,
the pertols are not much better on the chain looking around 60k bit not to bad to change, main agent price £800 ish, but if good with spanners £200 and a 4-6 hours will easy do it change it your self, also need to clean out inlet ports of carbon especially on cars with stretched chains and been run like it for a while ,,
if buying a very low miles diesel mini with warranty and selling on again after around 70k then go well, as for mpg its one of those, ie i live in a valley so hills on all roads in and out so use more fuel, than when you live in a place where roads are flat,, also the diesels need beating once a week ie 20 miles at 3k revs to keep dpf filter clean this eats fuel,, same as when filter gets older than 50k its always partially blocked and this uses a lot of fuel,, in a perfect world remove the dpf and egr and then it will do really good mpg with not to many issues including helps the chain to last longer as when engines regens any unburnt diesel ends up in the oil and wears the engine out, but thats a mot failure but its a visual test at present so hard to see if done right, ie no showing welds where filter ws knocked out,
might be worth pricing up lpg conversion on the cooper s petrol might be worth doing if keeping it for a number of years,

· Registered
56 Posts
Hey hancafe:

I have a recently acquired 2011 SD (2.0l) which had 20k on the clock, in mint condition with full dealer SH (and here's hoping they did the scheduled work as I don't have any receipts).

It goes well on 17 inch non-run flats. I'm getting around 47 mpg on average, but of course all mpg depends on the lead in your foot and the type of roads you drive. My commute is around 11m each way and an average speed of 40 mph, so few opportunities to 'warm the tyres'. Most of my usable torque is below 4000 Rpm anyway. I had it stage 1 mapped to 180 bhp and this improves the feel of low end acceleration so I don't feel the need to thrash it. If I do a long run the mpg goes up a bit, if I use the gears it can quickly drop to 42 mpg (using my maths as a guide not the onboard computer which my calcs suggest is optimistic)

At weekends I take it out for longer runs and make a point of getting a shift on where legal / safe, partly on purpose to clear the dpf, and partly 'cos it's fun and a ragtop. So I'll end up doing around 10k miles a year

Given the advice above, I suspect I'll keep it for 4 years max and part-ex it before it gets to 70k.

Oddly, when I bought this I had exactly the same choice as you - JCW or this one, but having had so many issues with a 2010 MCS I didn't want the uncertainty of a JCW with 55k on the clock as it felt 'loose' and the trim had been unloved; If these engines are not properly cared for, they just develop issue after issue (mine did). If you do take care, they are great.

· Registered
13,599 Posts
Hey hancafe:

I have a recently acquired 2011 SD (2.0l) which had 20k on the clock, in mint condition with full dealer SH (and here's hoping they did the scheduled work as I don't have any receipts).

It goes well on 17 inch non-run flats. I'm getting around 47 mpg on average, but of course all mpg depends on the lead in your foot and the type of roads you drive. My commute is around 11m each way and an average speed of 40 mph, so few opportunities to 'warm the tyres'. Most of my usable torque is below 4000 Rpm anyway. I had it stage 1 mapped to 180 bhp and this improves the feel of low end acceleration so I don't feel the need to thrash it. If I do a long run the mpg goes up a bit, if I use the gears it can quickly drop to 42 mpg (using my maths as a guide not the onboard computer which my calcs suggest is optimistic)

At weekends I take it out for longer runs and make a point of getting a shift on where legal / safe, partly on purpose to clear the dpf, and partly 'cos it's fun and a ragtop. So I'll end up doing around 10k miles a year

Given the advice above, I suspect I'll keep it for 4 years max and part-ex it before it gets to 70k.

Oddly, when I bought this I had exactly the same choice as you - JCW or this one, but having had so many issues with a 2010 MCS I didn't want the uncertainty of a JCW with 55k on the clock as it felt 'loose' and the trim had been unloved; If these engines are not properly cared for, they just develop issue after issue (mine did). If you do take care, they are great.
good choice seeing how you have is safe bet, north or 70k cars they get more and more a risk as miles pile on and its a big bill when they do need it, really good mapped

· Registered
631 Posts
I had a Roadster SD from new and the fuel economy was really good - if you wanted it to be. I did a trip around Scotland and averaged 58mpg over 1400 miles, it pulled like a train and generally I never got below about 45mpg when I drove it hard.

Not sure about the JCW but I now have a 2.0 Cooper S auto and just done a run down to the West Country and back fully loaded, just over 550 miles and averaged 47mpg, mainly because there were so many 50mph speed limits on the route. I’m sure if I had been able to blast it I would have got about 30mpg, so expect the JCW to be a fair bit lower.

· Registered
18 Posts
Cooper SD owner here - came with full dealer history, and has had all the filters cleaned, new clutch, the works.

The N47 timing chain issue seems to be sorted after 2011 - mine's a 2013, so I'm not particularly concerned.

Stunning engine in a Mini - mine's been remapped, and is pushing an average of 196bhp, 400lb of torque. New K&N filter since then, so maybe closer to 200 by now! The mid-range pull is awesome.

I chose this one over a petrol model this time, because of the remap potential. Also, next time around, they'll only be the petrol choices!

Friend of mine has a BMW 116d with the older N47 - his seems to be fine - and he wasn't deterred when buying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.