MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally got myself a BRG Cooper, black roof and fittings, Chili pack and aero kit all spec'd out for delivery in early 05 (will be curious to see what my delivery date will be!). The one thing I'm not sure is whether to opt for the Sports Suspension Plus or not. I'm leaning towards it because of the handling - our roads are pretty damn challenging at the best of times!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Do a search with that as the tag line. You will find a TON of stuff on this topic.

BTW, I puzzled over the same choice, originally didn't order it, then two days before the end deadline, I ordered it and am VERY VERY grateful that I did. I would definitely have regretted it if I did not. Just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MotorCity Madman!

I did a search earlier on but it seemed the suspension changed mid way through 2003 from what I read and the thread and it was tricky to see what was the best option taking the changes into account.

Nevertheless, what you've just pointed out was exactly what I was looking to hear! I think to be honest I'm likely to go with it, and I reckon it would aid the handling no end. Our roads in Ireland are pretty crap and twisty, so whilst the car will be a hard ride, the better the handling the wilder the ride!

Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated!

BTW - what are you driving?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Interceptor! :)

Yeah, going to stick with the 16" 7 FINS standards. They look ok on the car (17"s would be even nicer) but I've really opted for them because they'll be that little bit softer than the 17"s. If you've been over here you'll know how absolutely terrible the road surfaces are and driving with 17"s would rattle the teeth around in your head.

What's your opinion?

Had a look at the Cullen trip in your gallery and there's an Indi blue with the aero kit and it looks quite nice, with 15's. By the way, loved that S you have!

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
i've just taken delivery of a '05 cooper with 16" 7 fins & sport suspension plus & to be honest it feels like a better ride than my '02 cooper on 16" 5 stars & standard sports suspension. it feels less harsh & thrashy than the old car, plus overall the car feels much more solid anyway (although granted the car is on brand new tyres whereas my old one was due new ones). i've been to the cork area plenty of times & know exactly what the roads are like, i'd say you'll be fine with SS+

·
"Upside down face"
208 Posts
I've got it with 17" and the handling is awesome and i love 'feeling' the road. BUT, if you're not in the mood for driving fast etc. (which i rarely am) i.e. on the way to work on a monday morning, hung over etc. - with the 17"s it can be a little uncomfortable and annoying.

But - go for it!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses! So I ordered the SS+ this morning. Due date is last week of January, which is pretty short lead time luckily.

I'm trading up from a Mini One, and even the handling on the One has been great, so am really looking forward to this Cooper and was determined to get it right.

To you guys who've driven around the backwaters of County Cork, there's no better car to do it than a mini, right?!! There's one particularly great bend in the road between Monkstown and Rafeen in Cork Harbour. You come down a narrow straight into a sharp s-curve. If you're doing about 40 and just blow kisses at the brakes you'll sling the car right through the curve staying just about on your side of the road with a rumble of ABS feedback through your braking foot. It's pure class, and that's in a One!! Can't wait to squeeze through that gap in the Cooper brakes free :D

So thanks again - will keep you posted on progress!

John :green:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
corkmini said:
Thanks MotorCity Madman!

I did a search earlier on but it seemed the suspension changed mid way through 2003 from what I read and the thread and it was tricky to see what was the best option taking the changes into account.

Nevertheless, what you've just pointed out was exactly what I was looking to hear! I think to be honest I'm likely to go with it, and I reckon it would aid the handling no end. Our roads in Ireland are pretty crap and twisty, so whilst the car will be a hard ride, the better the handling the wilder the ride!

Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated!

BTW - what are you driving?
Hey corkmini! Excellent to hear you went with the SS+!!! Top choice, no regrets!

I have 15"s, non-runflat on my Cooper. Helps keep the ride softer, not that I care about harshness of ride, but wanted, after much help and advice from this forum, the benefits of a looser ride than the 16"s, but sharp handling and low weight of the 15"s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All these positive responses are making my wait even harder. I keep cleaning up my existing PS/B Mini One (like a wannabe, got the roof sprayed! - which by the way, became a great selling feature :) ). I still have to love her for the next few months!

One other thought - when the dealer drove away my One for his test drive, I promised myself I should just stand and listen to my Mini more. I spend so much time sitting inside, I always think I'm missing out on the great look of a Mini passing you by on the road, and especially the sweet growl out of the back end. Your not going to get that from your Focus or Golf for the same cash, fine cars though they are...

:blone: :sblack: :brgblack:
'02 '03 '05
:mad: :D :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts