MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<<<<<boring post alert>>>>>

Hi folks,

One recurring question on the forums lately comes from people asking if a CooperD works out to be better value than the normal petrol Cooper..... the CooperD obviously has the superior fuel consumption figures, but with the cost of diesel now so high, how long does it take for a CooperD to recoup is higher purchase cost..... I thought I'd do the maths for you :D

First of all, the stats...
  • The Cooper list price is £13,325 against the Doopers list price of £14,420.
  • Cooper averages 52mpg against the Doopers 72mpg
  • Cost of fuel in the UK currently is 118.8 p/litre for petrol and 132.1 p/litre for diesel (averages taken from AA website)
  • Fuel cost equates to £5.39 per gallon for unleaded and £6.00 per gallon for diesel

Before folks argue, I am ignoring some costs in this such as Road Fund Licence, congestion charging and insurance. Both cars are group 8E insurance, RFL you can factor in yourselves, and congestion charge doesn't apply to all. Final factor not included is resale value - both will have a strong residual, but this maybe affected by future fuel costs.

So, the maths..........

In the Cooper, 10,000 miles at an average of 52mpg will consume 192.3 gallons of fuel :eek: 192.3 gallons of unleaded at todays UK average fuel price will cost you £1,036.50.

In the CooperD, 10,000 miles at an average of 72mpg will consume 138.8 gallons of fuel. At todays UK average diesel price, this will cost you £832.80.

So, the saving in the CooperD works out at £203.70 per 10,000 miles.

To recoup the initial £1,095 premium will therefore take over 50,000 miles

Obviously to some, the CooperD does genuinely make real sense. High mileage drivers will see the benefits in the long run, and every year you will save on RFL which further helps reduce the gap. Also of course if you regularly drive in London, the congestion charge saving will pay huge dividends.

If however you are a fairly low mileage driver, duel to high fuel costs the petrol model actually works out the cheaper vehicle to run.

Hope that helps anyone who is contemplating either :p

Jon

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Just the facts Jon, just the facts;)

Good post mate:)

Now you just need to get out there and drive both, tell us what is the better drive and which is quickest etc;)

·
Firefly
164 Posts
Great post!

I think they always do say that unless your doing 20k per year then a diesel with todays prices will not really save you an awful lot of money.

I think the difference in drive between the two though is massive. I have to say that I much prefer the diesel to the cooper, but then I also prefer the S to either of those!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
A friend has a dooper, and gets no where near 72mpg. More like 52 on a long run.

The Cooper Clubman we had as a courtesy car did about 46mpg when driving sensibly, so you only get 6mpg more with a dooper in real terms. With 15p a litre difference in the cost, and then the including the premium to buy one, you're better off with the Cooper.

Drive both, but the petrol car is more fun, and also doesn't sound like a tractor! Sorry Dooper owners! But no, stick to the petrol car, the gap in costs of fuel is only going to get bigger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That is the reason im trading my 307cc hdi in for the cooper, i dont do enough miles ( 10000 a year) to justify the cost of diesel, my 307 only does 39 mpg.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
That is the reason im trading my 307cc hdi in for the cooper, i dont do enough miles ( 10000 a year) to justify the cost of diesel, my 307 only does 39 mpg.
Well done - have you gone for a convertible?

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
Great post Jon,but who buys a standard cooper or cooper D ????? So by the time you add on your own personal extras,the saving figures go out of the window;):D
I still think its down to personal choice,who buys what and not running cost's:D

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Great post Jon,but who buys a standard cooper or cooper D ????? So by the time you add on your own personal extras,the saving figures go out of the window;):D
I still think its down to personal choice,who buys what and not running cost's:D
Yes, but you'd still have to pay the upgrade cost if you had the same spec, which for comparisons sake, you would, so the savings figures are still relevant.:)

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
Yes, but you'd still have to pay the upgrade cost if you had the same spec, which for comparisons sake, you would, so the savings figures are still relevant.:)
yes i agree,but i wouldnt spec the same as you ;) so it would be different:D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Specification doesn't come into it :rolleyes: The cost betwen the two models would be the same no matter what spec you add ;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
yes i agree,but i wouldnt spec the same as you ;) so it would be different:D
You seem to misunderstand me. I was saying that if he wanted the car, you would surely have the same options whether it was a Dooper or a Cooper, therefore, the spec would be the same.

As the Dooper and the Cooper have the same standard spec, you would have to add the same options = options cost the same! Therefore, you would still end up paying an extra £1500 or whatever it is for a Dooper.;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what about deprecation? Cooper D does hold its 2nd hand value more than a Cooper;)
Read my first post.....

Final factor not included is resale value - both will have a strong residual, but this maybe affected by future fuel costs.
The Dooper might not have a better residual in three years time if diesel costs soar ;) Nobody can predit the future.

My post above is based on hard facts and was intended to be an informative post for anyone considering either model, to give them an indication of how much money a diesel would save. Its intention was not to annoy dooper owners, or spark a huge debate as to which is better.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
Minicabrio I salute you!! :smile: :nice:

Some of us know exactly what the point of your original post is, and don't feel the need to throw in variables. Quite a few news channels have done the same calculations based on diesels being more expensive to purchase and diesel fuel being more expensive per gallon to buy (73p per gallon for me). The technology of modern petrol cars making them so much more economical has really blurred the economics of petrol versus diesel ownership.

I have gone from an A3 diesel to a Cooper S and have found my weekly fuel bill has dropped. Not sure with Mini's, but Audi petrol cars are markedly cheaper to service than the diesels also for some reason.

Make your choice and enjoy the drive!! :nice:

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
it's what i've said for years, the financials just don't add up for buying into deisel compared to an equivalent petrol model. buy deisel if you prefer the engine characteristics but not because they're cheaper, because it's simply not true.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts