MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my Cooper vs. Cooper D thread..... time to examine the cost difference between the Cooper and the Cooper S. Lots of prospective MINI buyers post asking this exact question, which is best? Which do I buy? Well read on folks, and I hope this helps you ;)

Now, this question is harder for me to answer as I just can't base it solely on fuel economy - obviously the lesser powered Cooper would win hands down. So here goes.... I am doing the maths below based on 3 years of ownership (the average MINI Select finance deal) at an average of 10k miles per year.

The one factor I am excluding here is purchase cost. If you are making the decision, you can afford either :p Also, whilst the Cooper S does cost more, it will retain most of that in terms of residual value after the three years...

So on with the details....

1. Fuel Economy - Obviously fuel prices will change over the next three years, but going on todays UK national average cost of £5.39 a UK gallon of unleaded, the Cooper will cost you £3091.78 to fuel for 30k miles, whereas the Cooper S will cost you £3546.05.

2. Servicing - Non applicable as I presume you'll take out TLC cover - thus costing the same.

3. Insurance - This could be a major factor for young drivers as they will struggle to insure a CooperS. The Cooper is insurance group 8E, versus the CooperS being in group 15E. I ran two quotes based on a 30 year old married male, living near Newmarket (average UK postcode for property value), with 6 years no claims protected, one SP30 conviction, vehicle kept on driveway etc etc - Cooper came out at £274.05, CooperS at £403.20.

4. Road Rund Licence - The Cooper at 129g/km and Cooper S at 149 g/km both fall into band C at £120 per annum. So this is the same.

Conclusion
Based on three years of ownership at 10,000 miles per year, the Cooper will cost you £4273.93 in fuel, insurance and road tax. The Cooper S will cost you £5115.65. That's a difference of £841.72 over three years. That is only £280.57 a year!! :D

When you consider power - 120hp versus 175hp - thats a 45% difference....
When you consider torque - 160Nm versus 240Nm - thats a 50% difference...

Yet the CooperS costs just 19% more to run over three years ;)

So what are you waiting for? :p

Jon

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
And its so much more fun than the Cooper :D

Having driven the whole of the MINI range and lived with each for @ least 24 hours @ a time, the S is most certainly my favourite :D

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
price of fuel: £3546.05.
price of insurance: £403.20.
price of licensing: £120

hearing the supercharger whiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee: priceless

;)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts

;)
Except you miss out on that on the R56. :(

Were waiting for an R53 vs R56 running cost wise now Jon considering the R53 is such a 2nd hand bargin these days ;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Except you miss out on that on the R56. :(

Were waiting for an R53 vs R56 running cost wise now Jon considering the R53 is such a 2nd hand bargin these days ;)
Well, as I just bought a 2 year old (June 06) R53 - that shouldn't be too difficult :p

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Get the MCS.

I own a Cooper, but I'm saying to hell with running costs, time for power! :D

Having said that, if you must be frugal, I think the R56 Cooper is the most fun way to do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i had the same deliberation - downsized engine, for more pleasant fuel economy, tax and insurance. Made the mistake of sitting in a loaded cooper s, and all of the sensibility went out of the window!

Happy with the decision to get a cooper, for now, hopefully in year to 18months I'll give that the missus and trade in her car for a cooper s, the turbo model should be a better running cost proposition than the 'charger.

·
Noob
247 Posts

;)
Classic! Music to my ears. I often drive with the windows down (no matter how cold it is) just to hear the soundtrack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts