MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MINI Cooper was finally delivered to the dealer yesterday afternoon and driven a few miles. The car was ready for me to pickup today but after they filled the tank with gas, they could not get it started. The engine turns over but absolutely no sign of ignition. The dealer said he had another car that, after filling it with gas, wouldn't start but couldn't remember what they did to fix it. The techs are gone until Tuesday.

Has anybody had this same problem? If so, what was required to get the car started?

Joe

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I've not heard of this myself, try doing a search, it may have been discussed before, but I just cant recall it.

:(

They could try resetting the ECU, which I think can be done by disconnecting then reconnection the battery?

·
Registered
352 Posts
jmezera said:
My MINI Cooper was finally delivered to the dealer yesterday afternoon and driven a few miles. The car was ready for me to pickup today but after they filled the tank with gas, they could not get it started. The engine turns over but absolutely no sign of ignition. The dealer said he had another car that, after filling it with gas, wouldn't start but couldn't remember what they did to fix it. The techs are gone until Tuesday.

Has anybody had this same problem? If so, what was required to get the car started?

Joe
Bummer.
I remember reading about a problem with being unable to fill the tank with gas but not a subsequent starting problem.

Is it a holiday over there on Monday?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
I've not heard of this myself, try doing a search, it may have been discussed before, but I just cant recall it.

They could try resetting the ECU, which I think can be done by disconnecting then reconnection the battery?
Standing in front of the car, in the compartment behind the top of the RH suspension strut you should find a little black button (looks a little like a black can). If your car won't start you push this button and it resets the ECU.

My dealer went to great pains to explain this to me, as a few cars here have hit roo's and although driveable, couldn't be started as the ECU decided the impact was sufficient to shut down the ignition system. This can also happen if you hit a large enough pothole. Strange but true.

Be interesting to find out what your dealers do.

Cheers

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
That switch on the left side by the firewall does not reset the ECU, nor will resetting the ECU likely solve this problem. That switch is a fuel cutoff, used for cutting off the fuel in case of an accident. It is there because switches like that are mandated in some other countries to prevent fuel related fires, etc. in case of an accident. Some fords used to have these as well.

There are many reasons why your car doesn't start. The most recent one I've seen is the fuel line from the fuel pump inside the gas tank coming off. That may or may not be your problem. Unfortunately you won't know until Tuesday. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Cooper won't start!

3GGG said:

Bummer.
I remember reading about a problem with being unable to fill the tank with gas but not a subsequent starting problem.

Is it a holiday over there on Monday?
Monday is our Labor Day holiday and the dealer is closed.

I received a suggestion on the MINI Cooper Online forum that if the gas cap was not tight it would cause the ignition system to be shut down. I am going to see if I can get to my car at the dealer lot and give it a try.

I will post the fix for this problem.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Cooper won't start!

jmezera said:

Monday is our Labor Day holiday and the dealer is closed.

I received a suggestion on the MINI Cooper Online forum that if the gas cap was not tight it would cause the ignition system to be shut down. I am going to see if I can get to my car at the dealer lot and give it a try.

I will post the fix for this problem.

Joe
Well, so much for the gas cap theory. I was able to get to my car but the cap was tight. I took the cap off and put it on real tight, but still no ignition.

Guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday and have a dealer mechanic take a look at it.

Joe

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Having the gas cap loose usually sets a code in the ECU (with accompanying Check Engine Light). But doesn't prevent the car from starting.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My chili red MINI Cooper is fixed and in my garage.

The fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump in the fuel tank. The mechanic at MAG in Columbus, OH did an outstanding job fixing it. This MINI dealer has been the best through the entire buying process.

The pump is accessed through a panel under the rear seat. Once he determined there was no fuel pressure at the engine, he knew what to do and did it with precision.

The car runs great.

Joe
:) :) :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
jmezera said:
My chili red MINI Cooper is fixed and in my garage.

The fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump in the fuel tank. The mechanic at MAG in Columbus, OH did an outstanding job fixing it. This MINI dealer has been the best through the entire buying process.

The pump is accessed through a panel under the rear seat. Once he determined there was no fuel pressure at the engine, he knew what to do and did it with precision.

The car runs great.

Joe
:) :) :)
Good to hear, and something to remember for others here with a similar problem. Thanks for letting us know.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late reply but for others to see. I have a 2011 Mini. It has 20,000kms on the clock so still new. Ive been driving it around a lot lately and parked it for 2 days. It seems to run rough on cold starts after a few days with a small puff of blue smoke then it runs fine. Then all of a sudden after being parked for the two days it would not for the life of me start! Just kept turning over and over it really wanted to start but honestly sounded like it had no fuel. I heard the pump working, the relays and fuses are all fine. The closest MINI from me is 120kms. After the second day I stormed into the garage with both key fobs. Sat inside the car, using the 2nd fob I locked then unlocked the car a few times (checking to see if the key battery was still good) and inserted the fob. I didnt try to start it but the car said the fob was going flat. I removed it then tried the main fob but I decided to remove the silver cover. Maybe thinking the metal was interfering with the communication to the ignition. It started!!!! Ran a little rough, blue smoke puff but the idle wasnt too bad. I took it for a spin. Ran normal, no signs of anything. Parked it, started it again with no hassles. I hate cars with computers!! I miss the days of carbys and open engine bays!
I will still take her to MINI, get them to check it over. Fuel pressures, immobilizer, ECU. I dont trust it right now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late reply but for others to see. I have a 2011 Mini. It has 20,000kms on the clock so still new. Ive been driving it around a lot lately and parked it for 2 days. It seems to run rough on cold starts after a few days with a small puff of blue smoke then it runs fine. Then all of a sudden after being parked for the two days it would not for the life of me start! Just kept turning over and over it really wanted to start but honestly sounded like it had no fuel. I heard the pump working, the relays and fuses are all fine. The closest MINI from me is 120kms. After the second day I stormed into the garage with both key fobs. Sat inside the car, using the 2nd fob I locked then unlocked the car a few times (checking to see if the key battery was still good) and inserted the fob. I didnt try to start it but the car said the fob was going flat. I removed it then tried the main fob but I decided to remove the silver cover. Maybe thinking the metal was interfering with the communication to the ignition. It started!!!! Ran a little rough, blue smoke puff but the idle wasnt too bad. I took it for a spin. Ran normal, no signs of anything. Parked it, started it again with no hassles. I hate cars with computers!! I miss the days of carbys and open engine bays!
I will still take her to MINI, get them to check it over. Fuel pressures, immobilizer, ECU. I dont trust it right now!
RE: I hate cars with computers!! I miss the days of carbys and open engine bays!
I am with you on that one. I used to be a mechanic back in the good days.

My daughter has a 2002 Mini and a few weeks back it would not start. It turned over fine, but would not start. They gave it push (boyfriend that is, they were up town) and something must've jiggled (electrical contact) and then it started. Did nothing to it after that and now a few weeks later it wouldn't start again. Symptoms seem like no fuel.
Anyway, towed it to the garage yesterday (not a MINI, most dealer mechanics don't know much). No fault codes, and bam, suddenly it started. We (as in me as an ex mechanic and the mechanic at the non-dealership garage) suspect fuel pump. So that's what he'll do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts