MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My preference due to money and timing is to get a Cooper and not wait for an S, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of power. I'm not interested in blasting down straightaways, (I've got my old Mustang for that) but I do a fair amount of driving in San Francisco on steep hills and driving over the mountains into Nevada which involves some fairly long climbs. What experiences have Cooper owners had going up hill?

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks. Part of the problem is that while there are plenty of hills and mountains nearby, Sacramento itself sits on what is essentially a floodplain so I've got nothing steeper or longer than a freeway onramp to test drive on when I go to the dealers. Anybody else done any climbing in their Cooper?

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Sejanus said:
Sacramento itself sits on what is essentially a floodplain so I've got nothing steeper or longer than a freeway onramp to test drive on when I go to the dealers.
I used to be stationed at McClellan AFB, so I know what you mean. See if you can convince the dealer that you need to go to Auburn or Reno for a proper test drive. :D :D

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reno, what a great idea! Then I could get the funds for the car while I'm up there.:D

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the weather starts to really warm up here I just had a thought. Does anyone here in California have a MINI yet? And if so would you mind running it up over the Grapevine on a hot day? :D That ought to test the Cooper's capabilities more than adequately.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Sejanus said:
As the weather starts to really warm up here I just had a thought. Does anyone here in California have a MINI yet? And if so would you mind running it up over the Grapevine on a hot day? :D That ought to test the Cooper's capabilities more than adequately.
Rest assured there was extensive hot (and cold) weather testing of prototype MINIs, including in Death Valley.

Here's a picture of a MINI mule wearing California plates:

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BruceK said:

Rest assured there was extensive hot (and cold) weather testing of prototype MINIs, including in Death Valley.

Here's a picture of a MINI mule wearing California plates:

Cool photo. Thanks. Of course, Death Valley, while much hotter, doesn't have either the climb or the traffic of the Grapevine.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
i was going up hills at the weekend and had cars in front pulling over so that i could go past

that put a huge grin on my face

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just came across this in the June Autoworld review of the Cooper,

"It negotiated the hills for which San Francisco is so famous without hesitation or complaint. It even crested Nob Hill where our hotel was located without running out of breath. I attempted the same feat under my own horsepower a couple of times and didn't fare quite as well."

Since I used to live at the crest of Nob Hill and know how steep it is I find this very reassuring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here in Wales we have so much land we had to pile it up in mountains to avoid being bigger than Texas! Hills? Schmills! No problem in my ONE - I can't imagine what difficulty a Cooper would have in San Francisco and the rest - these places didn't phase my poor old hire car, and that was not the world's greatest motor by any means :confused:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nob Hill in San Francisco

Sejanus said:
I just came across this in the June Autoworld review of the Cooper,

"It negotiated the hills for which San Francisco is so famous without hesitation or complaint. It even crested Nob Hill where our hotel was located without running out of breath. I attempted the same feat under my own horsepower a couple of times and didn't fare quite as well."

Since I used to live at the crest of Nob Hill and know how steep it is I find this very reassuring.
For non San Franciscans, the name "Nob" derived from "nabob" which meant a very rich entrepreneur. In the Gold Rush days, people who made their millions from gold, the railroads and land speculation built expensive mansions on Nob Hill. "Nabob" was later shortened to "nob."

But I sure wouldn't want to be caught at a stop light on a slope on California St. (in Nob Hill). I've read about too many stall problems on the MINI. I understand there is a fix, but for later production models.:mad:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I once lived on adjacent Russian Hill for a short time. My old Peugeot diesel stick had no problems starting from dead stop pointed uphill. Bit more tricky with a stick gas engine though -- in fact, I'd be scared to try, especially if there's a lawyer driving that 7-series waiting behind me.

P.S. I thought "Nob" is derived from the Hindu word "nawab" meaning a person of authority.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sejanus,
Good post! I am also concerned about the Cooper's power on hills. I live & work in San Francisco so 80% of my driving
is in the city.

I came upon the Mini press launch at the Fairmont Hotel back in March. They had about 40 cars there for the press. Several people there had driven the car in S.F & they all said it did well on the hills.

If I can find some time during the week I'll try to get a
test drive out of S.F. Mini. They always seem overwhelmed with potential customers & have 2000 names on their "interest" list!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts