MINI Cooper Forum banner

CooperS idle problem

10K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Z1ppy 
#1 ·
How do lads and lasses, I havent got a mini but my girlfriend has a 54 CooperS which has a funny idle problem.

It doesn't do it all the time, maybe only 25% of the time... when you dip the clutch to drop to idle after about 10seconds it will start hunting, until you rev it a little and it will fix itself for another 10 seconds and start again.

I'm a Fiat man myself so I was thinking of trying the little things first like Idle control valve etc....
Or is this a common problem on the S's and should I be trying something else first?

Cheers, Si.

#9 ·
My software is the latest as of a year ago. I have looked into it but never really came up with a solution other than its like the throttle body doesnt close enough so you end up with an air leak at idle. To fix itself it increases the throttle and then backs back down to the normal idle again. Pretty much blips itself but slowly. Sticky throttle bodies??

All the people I know with the problem which is a long list own MCS from july 04 - Jun 05. Wasnt the ECU changed later in 2005? Being a July 04 mines is one of the first facelifts....

#15 ·
My 05 mcs did this, dealers are aware and told me that a new ecu upgrade is being developed to fix the rough idle. They told me this over a year ago so I think they were telling porkies.

I have since changed my petrol, if I use BP petrol i get the problem, with others i don't.

#17 ·
Afternoon, first post here so please be gentle!!

driving my girlfriends MCS 04 plate to work this morning and it did exactly as described here.

AC was on, engine was hot, sat in traffic. blip the throttle and it goes away. asked her if it had done this before and she said occasionally but didnt think anything off it.

apparently if has stalled once at traffic lights so assume the same thing.

the car gets very little use and when it is driven, only for VERY short distances. (usually 1 mile a day) between MOT's last time it did less than 4K!!

we love the car and i want to get it sorted as it has some other problems, (separate post coming im affraid)

Does it need to go to a BMW dealer of can this be done at an independant locally??

Kind regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.