MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, my new 2005 Mini Cooper S that I just snagged will be here in two weeks. I happened to walk in with a configuration in mind that was on it's way already to Herb Chambers in Boston so I claimed it. (no 90 day wait!)

The one problem, no driving lamps. I talked to the dealer and they were happy to install the lights for $880. Remeber this is a Boston inner city dealer, and demmand is so great that you have virtually no bargaining power with these people at all. There is always someone who is going to walk in and buy the car if I don't. So I have two questions for you folks out there:

Has anyone in the US installed the official Mini kit successfully by themselves?

Was getting the BC1 coded by a dealer easy? expensive?

I may ask the dealer what that would cost or throw the coding in for free, but I think for them to even pop the hood you're looking at $50-100.

Thanks, and I'm happy to be a future Mini owner

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a nuckle-head. I meant Driving Lamps, not Fog lamps. Gotta get my terminology up to snuff. If anyone can help me get a sense of what this will take I'd appreciate it. I'm interested in:

Any success stories of DIY installation.

How much was coding from the dealer? Was it easy or a pain.

thanks, sorry for my Newbish-ness.

MINIAC said:
Welcome to MINI2 :D

Have you called MINI of Peabody to find out what they would charge for the retrofit?

Here's the How To Guide [pre-2005]:

http://motoringfile.com/howto/Fog Lights.PDF
I just checked out mini Peabody and I already see that they have slightly lower pricing. Thanks for the tip.

· Registered
79 Posts
DIY brackets OK

I have recently fitted the OEM brackets and although the drawings on the instructions are a bit difficult to follow, especially as your are supposed to be measuring to a very fine degree, but found that the brackets have quite some leeway as to the 'correct ' placing.

I used my own sourced lamps & wiring loom, and scotclipped into the high beam light wire under the bonnet ( hood ) insualtion and then ran the spotlights through a relay, so no BC1 coding required.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.