MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the process of refurbing brakes etc on this new to me mini. Looking at the rear end, the suspension trailing arm / hub and the rear subframe appear to be quite badly rusted, also the rear sills around the trailing arm mounting area. Is this quite normal for a 2005 car or has mine been swimming in the sea!
Undecided whether to just give it a good hard pressure washing to remove loose stuff and then a good waxoyl or whether to drop the whole rear suspension / subframe and do a proper job on it. Is it a big job? Are others finding this?
Also suppose it would be a good idea to get the plastic covers off the sills so I can get waxoyl inside and out of these. This is starting to bring back memories of my 1st 1975 850cc min!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it just failed its MOT on a load of things. Corrosion on rear trailing arms, one a fail the other an advisory. hole in exhaust. leaking front shock, Handbrake not strong enough. Headlight aim too high and a few other more minor advisories,
So set to and removed complete rear subframe. I have ordered a refurbed cross member and are now trying to find the correct trailing arms with lower bolt adjustment like the ones i have removed.

I will now wire brush on grinder the underneath and give it a good waxoyl. So descion made by MOT man!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2004 R53 had bad looking corrosion on fuel tank carrier, rear subframe and suspension arms - lots of MOT advisories. However a few hours with a wire brush, rust convertor and dinitrol and it looked a lot better - didnt drop anything. No advisories on following years MOT! So sometimes it looks worse than it really is.

I would have done exactly what you are doing if it had more MOT issues - good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - got all the parts I need ordered, mostly off Ebay. Did take a bit of looking to find the correct adjustable trailing arms. Hopefully all the bits will arrive over the next few days so I can start rebuilding. In the mean time i have tidied up bits I am swapping such as hubs, struts, control arms etc. I also set to with wire wheel on angle grinder on the body underside, the rear of the sills and bulk head just in front of fuel tank needed a bit of attention. I also used a needle gun on the bits where I couldn't get to with the grinder. I also took the plastic sill covers off so I could get some cavity wax inside. So next was a good dose of cavity wax through the compressor. A messy few hours but hopefully worth it in the long run. Will try and re apply wax annually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts