MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A newbie here, so apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong forum area.

Just getting started w/my Mini Cooper Research.
Bummed to learn there's a long wait for this car, as my Saturn just breathed its last this past week. So...this is going to be a long wait.

Leaning towards a Cooper (not S) in the Purple Blue shade...Purple Haze with White roof. See many here match white roofs w/white mirrors. Wondering if the white mirrors highlight every dirt splash from the road & insect? Anyone here have chrome mirrors?
I can see the adv to using white mirrors w/white roof to get more white on the car, but...
the chrome ones look intriguing.

Also, having a hard time deciding whether to add a chrome grill or not.
I like the chrome stripe you get in back by choosing it...but wonder if it makes the front look chunkier vs. streamlined. But, Iike the retro feel of it. On the other hand, I like the color, too...as these are such fun colors. (also like the Electric Blue but feel a "S" probably isn't the best match for me)
Someone mentioned on another thread that the '05 models look slightly different...their bumpers or front? Can you link me to something that might show this? I've loved the way they look so will be bummed if there's much change.

Lastly, am COMPLETELY stymied by the huge number of wheel/tire choices! Read that some seem to make the ride less comfortable? If not having ones you can ride on flat...is there space in the cooper for a spare of any sort??
Again, a tough thing to figure out...which ones pass best w/this sort of car.

Thanks in advance for assistance! :)
*So* many choices but so little time to make them, as I've got to get working soon on an order, if I'm going to survive these months w/out a car!!
(will try to loan my elderly mom's car, as she's not driving right now)

One more thing...should I go for the HK stereo? I LOVE, love music, so leans toward that, but was wondering what your experience has been hearing both? Glad about your choice? Thanks again!

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Welcome to MINI2

You'll be hard put to spot the changes on the 05 models unless you're a MINI anorak :D have a look around this site there are plenty of pictures and threads on the changes try the Future Variants forum.

On the cooper 15" wheels have normal tyres, 16" have runflats. Some markets have a space saver spare for the 15" wheels some have a mobility kit (compressor and can of gunk). Lots of advice in the Wheels & Tyres Forum.

The standard sound system is more than adequate but the HK is better. Once you have tye Cooper run in you will find yourself listening to the engine scream at 4,500+rpm in preference to the stereo. :D You'll find plenty of opinions in the Interior & ICE Forum.

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
Welcome to the forum NeedMiniInfo :D

When you get a white roof you get matching white wing-mirrors - at least in Europe and at least when I ordered my car (9 months ago). The white does show up the dirt particularly in winter when there's so much crap on the road :( The chrome looks good. Have a look in the Exterior section of the forum where you will find pictures. Also on www.MINI.com.

You can also get the wheels specced white. I think they really look sharp together with the roof and wing-mirrors. But the general consensus here is that white wheels really do show up the dirt. And at all times of the year!! Mainly from the brake dust of course.

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
Hi and welcome to MINI2

There's so much informatiuon, and so many opinions we'll probably confuse you terribly :D

Try checking the FAQ section for some of your answers http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?

Also just try the search function too, you'll find lots on chrome mirror caps ;)

But ...... at the end of the day the MINI is about individuality, go for what you want and what you like best ;)

Have fun on here, it's kind of addictive .............

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

If you click on the gallery link at the top, and then personal, you can search for pictures, so if you search for purple for instance, you'll find pictures of purple haze/black eyed purple (its name outside the US).

There are only long waits if you're on the west coast, or you order a car to spec, which takes 2-3 months. If you need a car now, I'd start calling dealers and see what they have, they may have something on their lot (especially dealers like Mini of the Hamptons) or something coming in. If you're willing to be flexible on the specs you want, you might find something you could have in a week or two, even if it needs to be shipped (dealer can help you with that) or you need to pick it up.

Chrome mirrors used to be an aftermarket thing, and they were pretty rare. For 2005, the chrome exterior package includes chrome mirrors (even if the roof is white), so they've become more common. White mirrors do show bugs, but as mentioned, they come with the white roof, which is why so many people have them. Chrome shows bugs a bit too, but less, that's partly why I chose them myself - I also like the chrome exterior package. The changes on the bumper (mostly) for 2005 on the Cooper make it have a thin strip of chrome the entire bumper, instead before it was two fatter pieces on each side. All the pictures on miniusa.com are of the 2005, so you can see there what it looks like, otherwise do a gallery search for 2005 and see what you can, in the news section (also at the top) there's a few articles with a lot of pictures from auto shows, that show the changes and colors as well.

H/K isn't a bad system for $550 or so, but some people complain it doesn't get very loud. Most dealers should have a car with it installed, so you can listen and compare to the normal one. There are people who are happy with it, and others who have spend $550 only to be dissapointed, and gone and replaced part of it - if you're not satisfied with the stock system, you need to decide if the H/K works for you, or if you just want to replace it all from the start.

Wheel choice is actually pretty simple - the car comes with 15", you can upgrade to 16" either individually, or its part of the sport package. You can also choose performance or all-seasons. If you live somewhere it doesn't snow, choose performance, if you live somewhere it snows a teeny bit, choose all-seasons, if you live somewhere it snows regularly, choose performance, then put on snow tires on another set of wheels for winter. Many of the options you see for wheels are aftermarket, if you choose the size + the type of tire, you're pretty quickly limiting your choices so its a bit more manageable. Most people like the handling + looks of the 16" tires, but they are a bit firmer then the 15" which some prefer, also 15" is a bit more classic. 17" is only a factory option on an S, so you don't need to worry.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The differences between the 2005 and older models are mainly shown in the chrome bumper strips.. My Mini is a month old and I love all the small changes they made when I see an older model. The new chrome strips give the Mini an even sporter look while keeping all the great looks of the older models.

The white mirror covers are brill, they do show the dirt but if your going to get your Mini dirty it may as well look 'rally car dirty'! Obviously it depends on the overall look your going for to decide if you go for chrome or white.. I can also highly recommend the white side indicators as well, to get rid of the fried egg look.

Get the chrome line exterior (and interior), no question.. It's not very expensive and gives that finally touch.

H/K is brill espically when the engines off, as personally I like to listen to the engine when I'm driving. IMO it's defiantly well worth the money.

Hope that helps..

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
chrome mirrors = spandangilingriffic :D

look the 'shizzle'

rich will be getting jealous cos im using 'ghetto talk'

Anyhow, best of luck deciding. It took me about 3/4 months to get mine to near as dammit how i wanted before ordering, and even then i tried to change my mind. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
MaTTy_P said:
Anyhow, best of luck deciding. It took me about 3/4 months to get mine to near as dammit how i wanted before ordering, and even then i tried to change my mind. :D
Me too, the hours spent studying those brochures and adding it all up and then changing your mind 50 times and starting all over again. :D

It's worth it though, when you first see all your hard work sitting at the dealership you know it was time well spent ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much! Happy Holidays...

Truly appreciate your warm welcome & wonderful help.
Gosh! What a fantastic site & group of people.

I'm already addicted. Here it is Xmas Eve, basically...
and, I should be getting the lights on our tree! (am way behind) ;-)

Instead, was curious if anybody happened to reply to my plea for help yesterday...and was thrilled to find so many fun replies.
Have just perused this site for a day or so, prior to posting & now I'm learning there's so much more to discover here.

Guess I'm already pretty much a gone & this w/out even yet having driven a Mini.
Incredible, eh? ;-)

Btw, am on the West Coast/U.S. so I fear the waits will be awful. (not great since my car is toast)
Someone at a parking lot I bumped into...said they were told 8 months & it took about six! How nasty is that? Is that common?

I can hope that was 'cos she was buying a year ago...perhaps demand was even greater then? Wishful thinking maybe?

Anyway...wish me luck as I try to stay 'sane' about my next car.
Then again...why not go w/it, eh? It's not that often in life that we're 'bitten' with such bugs...so might as well enjoy it, I suppose.

Btw, I take it that "brill" means "great" in GB, eh?
I know...I probably should know such terms, but feel I just caught up on the Bridget Jones slang from the first film! ;-)
Time for me to get back to all things British, eh? (including a Mini)
Was a total Beatlemaniac (growing up)...grew into an Anglophile...getting up for Princess Di's wedding at 4am which is when it was on live in the Midwest (where I grew up).
Still drink tea, not coffee!

Was quite hooked & charmed!
Still am.
(and esp. so now...
w/how nuts things have been over here for too, too long!
Half of this country is still pretty shell-shocked from this November, as you can imagine.)
Almost don't recognize our own country anymore. Apologies to other Americans here who were thrilled by election results. Just venting. ;-)

Thanks again to all!!
(And, I'm going to have to change my Username. It was picked out of convenience while posting yesterday, but is just WAY too boring.) ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.