MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there planning to attend the GP weekend in Melbourne, Australia?

PLEASE TAKE PHOTOS OF THE MINI SUPPORT RACE !!!

I think we'll all appreciate finally seeing a track full of multicolored MINIS banging fenders down under.

Oh, and there's also an F1 event that weekend also.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Will the Cooper Challenge be shown before the start of the GP :confused: :confused: :)

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
I'll be at the track on Saturday mainly to do some photography, but will be home on Sunday to watch the GP on TV.

The Celebrity race is usually telecast on the Sunday, however there are plenty of ad breaks through the five lap event. In fact, last year, Channel 9 only focussed on their own celebrities and completely avoided everyone else, even the leader! I bet that even if JC was driving, they'd still stick with Suzie Wilks at position 21, and who would blame them?

I intend to get very close to the MINI Celebrity compound and get some snaps, along with some photos of the MINI qualifying session on the Saturday.

Paul, if you carry any weight here, could you get BMW/MINI to give me a press pass please. I guarantee that you will get some photos then.

Regards, ElTel

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Its alright for some :D :D :D
We've gotta get up in the early hours to watch the GP :( :( :( :( :rolleyes:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
So what's the latest on the status of the race MINIs following the GP? It would really be a shame to crush them.
They'd look great sitting in MINI showrooms. And since they're not Oz spec and will never be street legal, shouldn't they continue their lives as race cars?

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
smiffy said:
Its alright for some :D :D :D
We've gotta get up in the early hours to watch the GP :( :( :( :( :rolleyes:

Well for those in this part of the world, there are only two that occur during our waking hours. All other GPs are telecast between midnight and 4am.

I usually sit up/get up to watch them because if I tape it to watch later, then it's too difficult to avoid hearing the result on the radio/TV and that spoils it altogether.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
BruceK said:
So what's the latest on the status of the race MINIs following the GP? It would really be a shame to crush them.
They'd look great sitting in MINI showrooms. And since they're not Oz spec and will never be street legal, shouldn't they continue their lives as race cars?
I'm guessing they will be either shipped back to UK or on to another promotional doo-daa

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Rosey said:
Hey guys,

If you jump on the site below you'll find pics, clips, interviews and updates on the MINI Coopers at the Melbourne Grand Prix. Hope it helps...

http://www.grandprix.com.au/cars/index.asp

Rosey
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize the race MINIs were LHD - adding a bit more of a challenge for the Oz celebs?

And I didn't know Mike Cooper was one of the racers. (the only name I recognized among all of the Austrailian celebrities.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts