MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a nearly new F60 PHEV from a main mini dealer in June this year . We were experimenting with a hybrid for first time. The car was/is excellent and in most respects surpasses our expectations. However a couple of weeks after buying my wife was driving on a motorway near Dublin and was flagged down by another motorist for flat rear tyre. She was close to a service station and drove the 500 metres to it. She could not find a spare and eventually worked out with assistance from service station that all there was in car was some sort of inflator. The tyre was shredded so that was not much use. Called Mini assistance who sent out tow truck . Incredibly she mentioned it was 4 wheel drive. That meant they had to send out another truck to lift all 4 wheels. When he came he said better to get mobile tyre service. They fitted a make of tyre different than other 3! From the time she drove into service station to leaving took 5 and half hours. All for a flat tyre!.
I can’t understand how a major car manufacturer can sell a car with no spare tyre or no run flat tyres. The result being that customers can be put through this sort of stress. I took it up with Mini and they commiserated with our troubles and that was it. I felt the dealer and Mini should warn purchasers of this simple fact.
Has anyone else experienced this ? I can’t believe that it is lawful to sell a car with that spec .

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Used to be the case with MINI only came with runflats, but now I believe they let people order non run flat tyres as well.

I would've thought even non run flat tyres have tyre monitoring system.

Might be worth carrying a spare tyre or buy one of the cheap external tyre monitoring system of ebay, Amazon or AliExpress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , good point, there is a tyre monitoring system. But it is not much good if you can’t drive 500 metres off a motorway to check the tyre. The mistake my wife made, and I would too, is that she assumed it had run flats or was enough inflation to get off road. I suppose the issue is information provided at time of purchase. I certainly would not have bought this car unless the tyres were changed to run flat.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Many people prefer non runflats because they provide a better ride comfort compared to runflats. Also at it's PHEV, I suppose they were trying to save weight and use ECO tyres to give the PHEV the miles range.

There's always the option of replacing the non runflats with runflats and carrying a spare in case of blowouts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would ask the dealer if the odd tyre is ok as they can get funny with odd tyres on four wheel drive.Do you have the storage under the boot as we ordered a space saver spare with are car but is not a phev just petrol engine all4 so has room under the lifting floor.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Got the F56 hatch and that has under the boot storage although not large enough for a spare tyre.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no under the boot storage in the PHEV. The two options are to change the tyres to run flats and that would be very expensive . Or take the risk of a flat and no spare . Not great options . My view is that a motor company and an authorised dealer should not sell a car with this configuration without clearly pointing out the risks. Mini or dealer don’t seem to recognise that - but maybe I am being unreasonable and this happens all the time?

·
Mini noob
123 Posts
I'm driving in average 15-20.000Km / year and I only had 2 flat tires in my entire life as a driver (more than 20 years now). Shit happens .... the only thing is not to have that shitty situation too often.

Before ordering my PHEV I did a test-drive with a Countryman equipped with run flats and it is a no-go for me .... on the rough tarmac in Sweden the run-flats are sounding like having plastic wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep - agree with that. It’s been a long time since I or my wife had a puncture and if we did it was a slow one, showing up on warning display. This time very unlucky with the string of events. Not so sure I’d trust this arrangement (no spare, warning light and inflator) on a long journey - but I did not buy this car for that.
So go back to point - the seller should be required to make you away of the risk , small that it might be, and you can make your choice at the right time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
While it would have been nice of the seller to make you aware of non-runflats being fitted there is also a small responsibility on the buyer to ask........ I don’t want/ mean to sound critical but you could have asked which tyres it had.

Regarding the odd tyre that was fitted - it would be worth checking that the tread depth is similar to that of the other 3 tyres, modern viscous coupling and Haldex systems can accommodate a new tyre on a wheel provided it isn’t hugely out of depth compared to the remaining 3 otherwise the system will suffer damage. Tread type normally wouldn’t be too much of an issue but the rolling diameter is a problem. I know that for Volvo XC’s it is critical that the tyres are all similar tread depth but on my previous Range Rovers it was much less of an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure I agree . The average punter buying a car is probably not as technically aware as you seem to be . Caveat emptor does apply , but not as much as it used to . A massive company in any industry - finance , motor , tech , is now obliged to be a bit more savvy than their customers . Selling a car with this tyre configuration deserves some disclosure . Anyway we’ve learnt our lesson . Hopefully I can make others aware that with BMW / Mini you do have to ask the question - is there a spare tyre - no . Does it have run flat tyres - no . What happens if u get a puncture then ??? You sit for over 5 hours waiting for assistance .

·
Registered
39 Posts
As far as I understand it the AA and RAC carry a universal spare wheel. They fit this, you have your tyre repaired or replaced and your leave the universal wheel at the tyre depot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Adub, my MINI PHEV came with no spare wheel, one of the reasons, there is no where to stow it. I do have an 18” spacesaver from my previous car which I had considered carrying, but found there was no where to carry it.
As a matter of interest my £58K Motorhome also came with no spare wheel, just a blow & go compressor same as the MINI. Both of these vehicles have TPMS fitted which would give a warning of a loss of pressure.
Regards having an odd tyre, you could always buy another tyre the same as your new one so you have a matched pair.
Can I also add that since 2006 I have had 4 Motorhomes, only one came with a spare wheel and (perhaps I may regret saying this) over that time. Have never had a puncture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts