MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MINI Countryman SD Auto 2013 and my wipers have suddenly stopped to function properly, or have been working on and off to say the least.

I've noticed the problem, which is that once they are put in use they would not respond to change speed or stop, the control signal coming from the indicator/wiper comms unit behind the steering wheel. And they would stop/park at a random position, sometimes upright, or at a middle or their normal down position, but at their own time a little while after being switched on. The problem, sometime does go away if the engine is swithced off and back on, but not always and once wrong it my take a couple of consecutive engine starts for it to correct itself.

I've checked the relays that control the wipers and have found them to be OK (i.e. replaced them with new ones and the problem persists).
I'm not sure if the issue is in the wiper motor itself, as the wipers do move without a problem, or in the wiper control/comms unit behind the steering wheel, that I suppose is the one that is sending the signals.

Is this a know issue / there a fix to try or a method to diagnose with certainty ?

I read on some old posts about a commonly faced earth problem around the wiper motor, but I have not seen anything recent, and especially anything for the Countryman and I'm not sure if this might be a similar source of the problem in my case.

Any suggestion or feedback from people familiar with this would be great help.

Thanks,
A

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
the comms unit sends a signal to the body control module the bcm then turns the very low amps signal in to a higher amps signal to wipers motor this also controls intermittent wipe and wash functions and the rain sensor in the screen also works to the body control module, its common for the bcm relays that are soldered to circuit board in side go fault with age heat and use, now the kicker both the comms unit and the bcm are coded to the car,, BBA REMEN repair them or clone a secondhand one is cheapest option, dealer level diagnostic scan would tell you which is at fault ,, this guy can clone them he's called dale can be done by post ie send his=m whats going to be cloned etc, dale PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for a super quick straight forward reply and answer ... so as I now understand, my issue is with most probalby with the BCM relay, which I now remember that I once removed and replaced, but just put back on the same one, and the problem was fixed.

When I mentioned in my original note, that I replaced the wiper relays, that was about the the ones in the control box under the bonnet, so this one here on the BCM unit (inside the car, on the driver side) is probably the faulty one, I would think. Also, thanks for pointing out the wash function, as it also did not work when the whole thing is not functioning properly.

In any event, either the BCM relay or BCM unit itself, but not the wiper motor, as the wipers do move without issue.

Thanks for sharing the BBA REMEN contact number, and once I'll be in touch to see if they cna help, probably after I first replace the BCM relay with a new one, just to be sure the issue is not it.

Best,
A

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I have with my wifes 2013 Countryman One, did you ever get to the bottom of the problem and manage to repair it? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron provided it's not some fine pitch surface mount device so willing to get in and attempt a repair if it's possible.

Shane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts