MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right place... but I'm sure a mod will move it if not.

I'm currently on my second R56 Cooper S - first was rejected after numerous gearbox/clutch problems and a problem with the timing chain. The timing chain problem (not tensioning properly - sounds like a diesel for about 5 mins after startup) has just started on my new car, so I rung Haliwell Jones Warrington to arrange for them to look at it.

When I mentioned that I needed a courtesy car, not only did they tell be that the earliest date they could do would me the 8th July, but they would charge £12 per day for the insurance. When I asked if I could use my own insurance as that covers me, they refused.

I could just about put up with paying £24k for a car and then being charged £12 per day for insurance while warranty work is being carried out... but the fact that they refuse to let me use my own insurance really annoys me :mad:

Castle BMW of York (where I bought the car, and have used for many years) never charge for a loan car, and David Holmes (Stockport) agreed to waive the charge when I started using them a year ago - but Haliwell Jones refuse to budge on this at all. For now I will drive back to David Holmes, as I won't have to wait 3 weeks either :rolleyes:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
You shouldn't be paying for insurance if its in for Warranty Work, as they claim it back from MINI as a dealership, probably a crossed wire and thinking you are in for a service or something else when you would have to pay it;)

But the waiting is annoying, I have a 4 week wait at my dealers for a car:rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem with Stratstone HULL, my GP went in for warranty work and they wanted to charge me £7.00 for one day insurance. I could use my own insurance but had to change my policy to suit the courtesy car, Admiral £25 they wanted.

A lot of places are charging now.

I personally like Audi, the three I have had all the times there went in for Service/warranty work always had a car free of charge.

Kris

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn't be paying for insurance if its in for Warranty Work, as they claim it back from MINI as a dealership, probably a crossed wire and thinking you are in for a service or something else when you would have to pay it;)

But the waiting is annoying, I have a 4 week wait at my dealers for a car:rolleyes:
Definitely not a crossed wire as I actually said I thought it was ridiculous that they charge for a loan car when it is for warranty work, and they said they charge no matter what work is being done.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Well, my dealer has given me a Cooper Clubman as a courtesy car while mine is in for 3 days and they aren't charging - looks like it depends on the dealer.:)

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think it depends on the dealership. My car is in for a week and it is no charge for the car but I have to pay for the additional insurance via my insurance company. Of course they only charge cover on a monthly basis, it's insured as an additional car.

The theory is according to the insurance company, is that if anything happens to my car whilst it is in the hands of the dealers then it is covered by their liability insurance for most things but if it gets stolen or suddenly bursts into flames, then it still needs to be insured by myself. Which sounds like a load of bull because I thought it is only insured for me to be the driver, which clearly isn't the case if it's at the dealers.

It's just a different way of making money out of us, either by the dealer or insurance companies. :angry:

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
mine usually say they will charge, £35 + vat! but I've always got away with it, specially if it's a warranty item it's in for ;) :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
The service department at Scotthall Watford tried to charge us for warranty work, so we got on to the dealership and they sorted it out for us.

Sue

·
Andrew ATC
725 Posts
My courtesy car has just gone back after a week of warranty work - no charge at all.
They even delivered my car to my house, and picked the courtesy car up.
No wonder I keep going back to those wonderful people at Woodmans :D in Blackpool

·
Registered
408 Posts
The charge is for the insurance for the loan car. its done throught the dealers loan car management system possibly called DCM.............it can also reduce the excess you would pay if for instance you totalled the loan car possibly from £5k down to £250 !!!

The loan car management system automatically charges the dealer so the cost is down to the customer!! regardless of warranty/service/repair work.........

The reason for a three week wait is usually coz the dealer cannot run loads and loads of loan cars! the cost would be astronomical..........so...........if ya need a service etc get booked in asap to avoid disapointment!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The cost of a loan car can indeed be claimed back from bmw if, you had broken down and were to have been put into a car by the recovery service (ie. mondial) but a dealer usually gets approx 2 days to fix the car in these circumstances unless there is an issue with parts or technical inquiery etc........then the agreement can be lengthened

·
Registered
175 Posts
The cost of a loan car can indeed be claimed back from bmw if, you had broken down and were to have been put into a car by the recovery service (ie. mondial) but a dealer usually gets approx 2 days to fix the car in these circumstances unless there is an issue with parts or technical inquiery etc........then the agreement can be lengthened
All the norfolk mini dealers charge for insurance approx £10 per day for all types of work...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts