MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
600 miles........and my passenger seat has hardly been sat on, yet as I am cleaning the car today I find two small spits in the leather on the passenger seat base and another small split starting. There are no scuffs or marks near them to suggest they are a result of contact with anything either. Have booked it in and asked for it to be replaced but really ......... so little useage and this is showing............its a little concerning to say the least.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
in general what holds up better - leather or vinyl?
Vinyl not available in the UK so Chip doesn't have the choice!

My seats don't have a mark on them (same trim/model)... i did note that the instruction book says about regular leather care and i'm going to make sure and do this.

Chip - had a look in your gallery - your Mini looks great! Love the red seats with the white/black outside. very nice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer service department have yet to see the seat themselves, they are just taking my word for it. I asked that it be done on the day I booked the car in as I don't want to be running backward and forwards sorting it out and they gave the impression it will be done the same day. Then again, all BMW and MINI parts departments are able to order up parts in advance and return them if unused within 5 working days and incurr no charges so there really isn't an excuse unless the part is backordered.

I have seen more than one with similar marks on the seat when new but what the picture doesn't show is that it is not a cut mark. A cut would leave a straight slash to the leather and these small marks are too irregular so have to be cracks.

Rob..... Thanks for the comments on my Cooper. As you will have seen from my gallery, my first Cooper was Red/Black which is a colour combination I just love. The only reason I didn't stick with the same colour for my new one is that I didn't want the car to look almost identical. Red/Black is pure class. I see from your pic that you have the red/black interior too......good choice :D

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Sorry to hear of the prob Chip,hope you can get some joy from your dealer.I went for the cloth seats because i was concerned about scuffing the leather.Its not a problem for alot of people,but the MINI is currently our only car and what with the children(i say children...9,16,18) getting in and out of the car(not altogether obviously) i thought it may be a problem.Most of the time my youngest daughter is in the back of the MINI so there is quite a good chance of it getting a bit of stick.I love the look and feel of the leather but thought that in my instance i'd be better off with the cloth.Have you noticed that the back of the seats is much less prone to scratching since they changed the pattern of the plastic.The backs of my old MINI seats were terrible(again,from the kids getting in and out).You may say ...why buy such an impractical car for a family?Well the oldest two aren't usually seen out with their parents apparently that wouldn't be right,so its usually only my youngest whos with us and is nearly as much of a mini/MINI anorak as me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Chip said:
600 miles........and my passenger seat has hardly been sat on, yet as I am cleaning the car today I find two small spits in the leather on the passenger seat base and another small split starting. There are no scuffs or marks near them to suggest they are a result of contact with anything either. Have booked it in and asked for it to be replaced but really ......... so little useage and this is showing............its a little concerning to say the least.
I have to say that doesn't look like a manufacturing defect, more like puncture marks of some sort. Something sharp has poked into the leather. Maybe keys in someone's pocket or such like.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy

The pic doesn't really show up the marks properly to be honest but I can assure you they are not puncture marks and having spent 12 years in the motor industry of which several years were as a Warranty manager I know it is a warrantable defect so am not overly concerned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chip said:
Don't be so pathetic - do you look at your seats with a magnifying glass? It's not a Rolls Royce - nothing is 100% perfect.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jupiter said:
Don't be so pathetic - do you look at your seats with a magnifying glass? It's not a Rolls Royce - nothing is 100% perfect.

Wow !!!.......thats a harsh response. If that is the only thing you can post in the forum I suggest you save you postings for something worthwhile saying !!

Irrespective of what the car is and how much it costs, when you buy a new car you expect things to be perfect and I am sure you expected your car to be that way too Jupiter....maybe you were luckier than me and you car was but small cracks in leather are only going to open up with time and get worse but then again, maybe you would be happy to run around in a car with splits in the seat.

Oh and you don't need a magnifying glass to see them, but if you can't see them yourself in the photo Jupiter I can always recommend a good opticians for you !!!!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.