MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from ThinkMINI after having new front arm bushes fitted (who are extremely friendly and helpful - thanks Adrian!)...

After driving back from Worc to Nottingham, I was 2 minutes away from home, when I hit some oil or god knows what, on a roundabout. The car's back end slid away, and I was unable to control it fully - car slid left, right, up a kerb and into and onto a road sign. All airbags deployed and the windows dropped a couple of inches to allow the dust to clear (nice feature BMW!). I'm ok, just a bruised thumb / hand from the steering wheel, and no passengers.

Anyway, bumper was slightly mangled on the drivers side, passenger window pillar had cracked a piece off at the top (surely not a good sign...), passenger seat belt clip was crushed (another bad sign...), and car was sat on top of the signs concrete base.

I'm hoping the seat belt clip is crushed because of the tensioner which had pulled it downwards, and not because of some hidden issue...bit worried about the pillar cracking at the top though, as the only damage was bumper and underneath (whatever that may be).

Big thanks to the witness and passenger who stopped (only person to stop out of 10+ cars around), an off duty paramedic who stopped, the two people who asked if I was ok or needed a phone, whilst I was waiting for the police to arrive, and the Highway Agency who turned the electrics off to the sign! Big big thanks to the officer who attended site! Poor guy had to stand in the rain, as his car was parked on the roundabout to protect me / my car. And also to the recovery guy!

Not impressed with Elephant though...had me on the phone for 20 mins before even calling a recovery vehicle (this is after me telling them I was half on / off a busy roundabout. Even asked me if the police was charging me for the sign, and explained how much I had to shell out etc...I'm not bothered, I just need rescuing!!!

They also got the recovery guy to take me and the car to a bodyshop...which was shut. Then told the recovery guy to take the car to his depot, and to leave me to call a taxi!!! Recovery guy dropped me home though, where I called Elephant and asked for it to go to BMW instead...which it is on Monday. Unfortunately, it means I won't get a courtesy car until Monday. If I'd left the car to be taken to the insurance companies bodyshop, I would have had to wait until Monday AND only if the car was fixable...I'd get a hire car if it was a right off! Nice, thanks!

I think I might try and get BMW to quote for an Aero bumper...what do you reckon? Possible?

Ok, now the moment you've all been waiting for / dreading...the car doesn't look too bad, but worried about the underneath of it. Excess of £560 on whatever needs doing...including street sign!

Attachments

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
ouch - thats really bad luck. Still cars are just metal (get used to hearing that ;) ) and can be fixed.

Hope you get it all sorted soon. Were the police ok with you or will they be doing theyre usual thing of any accident = undue care and attention :eek:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, the officer was really sound. Obviously had to do a breath test, but no tellings off etc. What annoys me was that I was only doing about 30mph round the roundabout and going straight on, and then the back end just went. Got a witness to back me up, in case the insurance company etc argues it. Doubt I'd be able to argue with the council against oil on the road etc...it was pee'ing it down, so anything that was there probably isn't any more.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news :(

I'm actually shocked the airbags went off! I've seen MINIs with far more damage and still no airbags. At a guess there wont be too much big damage and the reason for the seat belt being pulled back is cause the pre-tensioners fired at the same time as the airbags. Sadly the biggest cost of the whole thing will be 2 new seat belt tensioners and 2 front airbags which cost a fortune!

did it drive ok onto the flatbed?

Update : Ohhh actually I see the pole hit dead on the crash sensor in the front crash beam! explains it now. I'm sure it will be as good as new soon :)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Its amazing that the airbags went off - the damage doesn't look too bad though - I'm sure it will be looking like new soon.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
ouch sorry to hear that :( main thing is you're ok though :) hopefully they can fix your car no probs too :)

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Oh no :( As everyone else has said, least your ok and the car can be fixed :)

Will be interesting to see what damage its done to the underside of the car looking at those pics :puzzled:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts