MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well on the weekend, I decided to plow the mini into an embankment:(

It subsequently turned on its side... so now I have to join the ever growing list of mini2ers seeking alternative transport until their car is repaired.

I initially thought I had written it off - well thats what I was yelling in the middle of the road after I did it, along with a lot of profanity... but once we had a chance to have a good look, I knew it wasnt as bad as I expected.

I came into a left hand corner under brakes and locked the back wheels, crossed a lane of oncoming traffic - lucky I was fortunate to not have anyone coming - then plow understreered into an embankment... The impact sent me up the embankment and then the car rolled onto its left handside smashing the passsenger window and damaging the door...

The front is mashed... the right strut was put out of place approx 30cm and the front guards are both damaged.

The bonnet is fine!! Just a small scratch under the right headlight, otherwise the lights, etc, are all fine. I managed to save both the fog lights too... the only visable damage to the front of the car beyond the front bar was a bent A/C cooler and the front strut, but the body shop say that there is alot of damage to the underneath - it requires a new cross member and strut.

There was heavy scratching on the LHR 1/4 panel which will be removed and replaced with a new one, the bodyshop says this would not normally be necessary, but there was dodgy work done from my last accident - which I used a BMW official repairer to fix - there is only one in Geelong, so you can work it out!! (The name starts with N and ends in ARDI's Panels - so the bodyshop will repair their fvck ups...

The passenger door and glass will also be replaced.

The rims were also damaged, so they will be fixed and have the tyres replaced hopefully!!

Another plus from it is that I will most likely end up with the BMW Aero front and sideskirts.

Wes (FLiPSiDE) was also in the car, we both sustained mild whiplash, but otherwise we were happy to get out alive.

The cars safety and design is a testiment to BMW!!

Although, not even a window curtain went off...:eek:

I now have to endure christmas without my mini and go through all these insurance hoops to get the car back on the road...

The insurance excess was quite reasonable - AU$850 - but the premium is expected to climb to approx $3000 in the coming year...:mad:

The car is at Charlie Battisti's in Melbourne somewhere, when I get the chance, I will go up and have a good look at the car...

I know what I did wrong and will learn from my mistakes, its just a shame it had to cost me sooo much money on such a steep learning curve.

My good friend "Hindsight" has been nagging the hell out of me for the past 3 days...

As you can imagine I havent slept well for the past few nights...

I am alive. My mini will be back... so all I can do is keep ticking along.

Todd

P.S - I have no photos personally, but I know there are some out there, I would like to see them before they get posted here, can you send them to me via email - contact me on PM to get my email address... I'd like to see all shots of the car that day if I could get them.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
buggggerrrrr...sooo glad you and wes are ok. even though it is the mini; it is just a car after all (can't believe i am saying this :eek: ). i had a fender bender just outside my own home earlier this year, with about $5,000 damage so i know the sick feeling of seeing the min mangled.

take care and best wishes for a smooth process getting back on the road.

best

kerrie r

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, tehre was about $15,000 worth of damage:eek:

So my estimates at the scene were pretty spot on... ($12,000 - 15,000)

Todd

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
:eek: :eek: my heart skipped a beat when I saw the title... :( Good to hear that you and your passenger are ok. You (and by you I mean me too) kind of forget how safe the little things are until they prove themselves. Absolutely gutted for you... I can relate to being MINIless :(

Hope the repair process goes swiftly and MINI is returned in pristine condition. Best of luck! ;)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Glad to hear you walked outta it Todd :)

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:( Why dont they have a cry smilie?? (Well then they wouldnt be smilies then would they??:D)

So you have printed the calendars already??

I have been kicking a$$ at work in the last few days, so that has been good for me, making some good cash, so I will hopefully not have to sell a kidney to pay for the damage!!:eek:

Todd

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Really sorry to read that Todd :(

Glad that you and Wes are OK though, I assume you've both been checked for hidden damage.

Take care on your bike :)

Mike

·
MCSJCW
1,667 Posts
Todd,

Glad to see you and Wes are ok, which is the main thing. The mini will be repaired and back on the road before you know it :)

Good to see you are putting a few extras on :)

Karen & Stu

PS. If you lived close by, I could have lent you Aby (my super ute) :p

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Geez, sorry to hear about this.... glad you Guys are ok and hope it all gets sorted for you soon

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys and gals, its great to see you are all looking out for a fellow mini owner:)

I have recieved numerous SMS' and a couple of phonecalls from caring mini owners, my mum is over at the moment and she couldnt believe how much my phone has been going off etc.with people wishing me well...

She said "Are these people you know from mini's?" "That is sooo kind of them!!"

Only wish we could start a Todd charity fund:p for every SMS, I should have $1... then I'd pay the excess off in no time:D hehehe

Todd

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
"THAT'LL COST YA A F**KEN BOB OR TWO!! HOW MUCH??" :D

hehe it looked far worse than it really was. It's been a long time since I felt the way I did when we entered the corner in the Golf and saw your car on it's side and heard a hissing sound - It was pretty scary. When I saw you both climb out the feeling of relief was quite nice :)

Damage cost estimates were on the mark too. And your excess is low! Doesn't your insurance provide a hire car for a 14 day period? Look into it ;)

It'll be back before you know it

·
2,756 Posts
Todd,

Glad to hear that you are ok.. shame about the car though.

Cant beleive after the mishap with the tyres and escaping potential peril there.... you backed up the performance by rolling the car over.

Again, on the bright side it is good that you guys are ok...... and the aero kit will look fab!!

Dan

1 - 20 of 118 Posts