MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its crazy with the spark plugs prices that the authorised dealership gives. When compared to prices out on the market the differences are huge. The other day i ask the dealership for four spark plugs for my 2008 R56S and they quote me for €90. On the web i found Bosch spark plugs at the price of €25 for four!!!! What on earth is going on? What on earth is going on guys... im talking about Bosh iridium sparkplugs 0242135518.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Depending who you buy it from the price can range from ~£10-£20, obviously the dealers have a higher overhead costs than other sellers.

Just buy from a reputable company as many fakes.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Its crazy with the spark plugs prices that the authorised dealership gives. When compared to prices out on the market the differences are huge. The other day i ask the dealership for four spark plugs for my 2008 R56S and they quote me for €90. On the web i found Bosch spark plugs at the price of €25 for four!!!! What on earth is going on? What on earth is going on guys... im talking about Bosh iridium sparkplugs 0242135518.
Bosh iridium are to hard to use on n14 cooper s engines need to be platinum as coil packs are weak, later n18 had better coils so fine with them,, from factory they are fitted with the plats
always pay more at main dealers for anything,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just buy from a reputable company as many fakes.
How can i know that those Bosch spark plugs although cheap, are not fake?

Thanks for the contribution guys, but regarding the fact the dealers always sell higher, this is outstanding... €90 compared to €25???

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,017 Posts
There are a lot of fakes out there. You have to watch out for them the box tends to look like something that was printed on a 1960 print machine. Faded or box graphic is not aligned. The serial numbers sometimes will all be the same. If the picture before purchase has the same serial. Sometimes they get right into the automotive stores, and are sold in groves.
In the end you have to buy whatever is there. And as far as rendering something online. I imagine it is not that much easier. On thing is they are generally honest when you pay for O.E. stuff Or genuine.
I like to think about like I said on the other thread here.
There was a program I watched where this guy was talking about B.O.V./Diverter valves for VW.
The in turbo diverter valves to be exact. He says to keep up with the memo's on you version of car. bulletins, etc...
To always update to the lastest version of diverter valve. Spark plugs I try to go with something different any more. When my spark plugs go out I will probably go with something new like going to McDonalds. And just try the new thing out there.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you read Amazon reviews people have received fake spark plugs but less likely if it's sold and dispatched from Amazon and more likely with 3rd party sellers just like on ebay, although not impossible to also receive fakes sold & dispatched from Amazon.

I've purchased NGK from Amazon sold by and dispatched by and found no fakes when I compared it with online fake checkers and the price was less than 3rd party sellers on both Amazon & ebay.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've purchased NGK from Amazon sold by and dispatched by and found no fakes when I compared it with online fake checkers and the price was less than 3rd party sellers on both Amazon & ebay.
What kind of comparison did you make and what differences did u spot?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it really matter? Fakes are fakes no matter the owner. There are quality Chinese products when guidelines are followed.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Does it really matter? Fakes are fakes no matter the owner. There are quality Chinese products when guidelines are followed.
a lot of car makers have been looking at getting their battery powered cars produced in china including mini its all going that way,, maybe that is why all the tension building with US and western worlds , bit like the years of tension when oil was the number one direction to power the world I guess,, just hope the guide lines are a set standard

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What kind of comparison did you make and what differences did u spot?
I can only go off the pictures and description and compared to the NGK I purchased.

Nothing wrong with fakes like handbags, clothing etc... but something like a spark plug the lack of QA on fake spark plugs might not do any harm to the engine but do you want to chance it for a few €.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Νo i wouldn't want to chance it by buying cheep spark plugs, but how will i select the okay ones, go for the dealers's absurd prices?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Buy the reasonable priced ones and from a reputable seller and not the really cheap ones you mentioned 4 for €25 especially if they are Bosh Iridium and then check to see if fake or not that's all a buyer can do.

If they were standard Bosch sparkplugs the 4 for €25 would be reasonable or just buy the 4 for €25 and see what you receive, might be as genuine as any you can buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
24euros set price is ok

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
have seen Chinese copy's for £40 before , so price should not be the set reason to buy ie thinking because are more money makes them genuine as it dont, should not use iridium plugs on the n14 engines coils are not strong enough for them ,,, should only use genuine listed plugs on them...
n18 later engines do use iridium's as have better coils

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
should not use iridium plugs on the n14 engines coils are not strong enough for them ,,, should only use genuine listed plugs on them... n18 later engines do use iridium's as have better coils
Very interesting point. Can u please let me know where the knowledge of "not strong enough coils" comes from? Im interested in knowing, so i can read more regarding this issue as iam close to replacing coils soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts