MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my doors are driving me mad, they creak really loudly when opening/closing.

I thought may be they just needed lubricating so I sprayed some silicone spray onto the hinge on one of the doors and its made it worse!!??

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i dont think its aqctually the hinges that cause this, its the actual door cards because mine only started doing it after i took off the door cards and put them back on. havent tried to fix them yet so cant help sorry

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mine was doing exactly this when I collected it as approved used, they had the car back in to fix the stuff they had failed to do, and told me they were fixed as they had oiled them.

I opened the door and it was still exactly the same! So they got the guy incharge of the workshop to come and have a look, he took one look and said the door checkstraps were faulty, and that they needed replacing under warrenty.

Once they were replaced I've never had any such noises out of my car, don't believe the crap they try with oiling them, get them to replace them!

·
Registered
199 Posts
might be worth spraying the hinges and check-straps with WD40 to clean them up a bit before spraying them with spray grease. I use motorcycle chain lube and it works a treat. They could be faulty but a squirt of lubs has got to be worth a try... It worked on mine and my sisters cars. They just dry out after a while and need some lube. WD40 is pants as a lubricant in most cases as it dries out too quickly and doesn't cling. It works well as a de-greaser and cleaner though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help.

As mentioned it’s going into the garage soon so will let them take care of it.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Mine were creaking like heck a few weeks ago. Solution - clean the door shuts *really* well when you're next cleaning the car. Then spray them with some WD40 to drive the water out. Finally apply some white lithium grease to the hinges and checkstraps (which is what I reckoned were creaking onmine). Work the doors backwards and forwards for a minute or two. Apply some more grease. Open and close the doors a few more times. Creaking gone.

·
Registered
409 Posts
How does WD40 do anything? Its a water displacement spray and not a lubricant, and if anything it attracts dirt and crap to the hinge?
Always worked for me. - As I said - only a really small amount does the job.

I even used it for my clutch on my peugeot I had before the MINI as it was creaking - it never creaked again after I used that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts