MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon

Just had my front springs and top mounts changed as was an advisory on last MOT and since this had been completed there is a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel at low speed.

Any ideas on what this could be?????

Waiting for garage to phone me back but would like some knowledge first

Regards

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Can't answer as I only know a bit about Gen1s. But may I ask, why did you get the springs changed? What did the advisory say? I've had a car fail couple of years ago because a front spring was broken. Have to say it didn't notice visually (ride height) or driving it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't answer as I only know a bit about Gen1s. But may I ask, why did you get the springs changed? What did the advisory say? I've had a car fail couple of years ago because a front spring was broken. Have to say it didn't notice visually (ride height) or driving it.
MOT stated that springs were corroded so this is why they were changed

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
MOT stated that springs were corroded so this is why they were changed
That is what I expected. MOT testers often say that - they sort of have to. TBF doesn't mean they need changing.

Here is the story of a car I owned from July 2012 until September 2016. A 1992 Peugeot 205 1.8D. I know the current owner and still see it locally, going strong.
MOT Advisories
For last 6 years
Mileage from 83,295 to 110,654 = 27,359

July 2012 - Front suspension coil springs starting to rust
July 2013 - Front suspension coil springs starting to rust
Aug 2014 - Both front suspension coil springs starting to rust
Aug 2015 - Front suspension coil springs starting to rust
June 2016 - Both front suspension coil springs starting to rust
June 2017 - Both front suspension coil springs starting to rust

So that is the "rusting springs" advisory for 5 consecutive years!!
Guess what? Springs have never been changed. Nothing wrong with them. Working fine. Not an issue. Just rusty. Surprised you didn't simply ignore it.
All those MOTs were undertaken by the same tester. They each always have there own little bees in their bonnets. For this one it is rusty springs. If I took it to a different tester, probably wouldn't mention it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Groaning is usually top mount bearings, however it could be any number of the bushes on the suspension that have now been disturbed because of the fitting of the springs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, was this ever resolved. I have just noticed a creaking noise from the steering wheel column after my Gen 1 had lots of work done. Is this something I need to worry about? Garage also said the engine was revving up and hunting. Again, this was not noticed before I took it in for work including water pump replacement, auxiliary belt, caliper replacements etc. I could go on but it's a long list. Any advice would be appreciated as I have just spend well over £1,000 and cant afford to pay out any more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts