MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a 'creaking' (it's the word that best describes the sound) noise coming from the steering column when the steering wheel is turned? It doesn't happen when traveling straight or on slight turns, but any turn over 90 degrees and the car emits the sound. It appears to come from the steering column and maybe I'm imagining it but the seems to be a slight stickiness to the turning, during the creaking.
:red:
Is it dangerous? Is it easy to diagnose and fix?

Please help, going up & down multi-story car parks in it sounds like a ship at sea.... :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update...

Well booked into Mini/BMW in Wandsworth tomorrow (I will be there from 7.30am). Minor difficulty in that first Wed thing off to Sweden for 3 weeks, so hoping it can either be sorted on the spot, or at least assured that it will be ok for a 2500+ mile round trip until we get back.... :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how I get on, the Service dept of this Dealership appears to be switched on, fixed the jamed/wobbly passenger seat in 2 hours and one day notice... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...more...

Ok, Service guy took 2 mins to say:

(1) Yes you have a fault
(2) No it is not serious
(3) It is fine to drive 2500+ miles
(4) 'Bushes need replacing...'
(5) Work takes about 1&1/2 hours, and will cure the noise
(6) Do you want to book it in now? (elected not too as not sure precise day we return)

Seemed to be familiar with the problem.

I'll get back to you when it's been in for the fix.

:)

·
Back in a first gen.
1,386 Posts
You're lucky :)
I had two steering columns in under 12 months on my 51reg ONE. Hopefuly now I have a Cooper this problem has been rectified - (Someone's bound the correct me on this ;))
The work that you're having done will correct the noise problem - but isn't that just curing the symptoms not the problem itself? I'm not saying that it's not just the brushes, it's just that there have been so many MINI's having to have steering racks replaced & I've never heard of the 'brushes' problem before.

Hope they fix everything & have good time on your trip :D Merry X,Mas :D:D

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
You are lucky, and no the problem has not been fixed.

My 02 MC had a column replaced, which was then fine. My 04 MC has had one column replacement (so far) in March time, then a full steering rack replacement about 1 month ago (same problem), and now is booked in for another go in January.

The problem is the bearing part way down the steering column. It seems as though some of the replacement columns also have the same fault, but in most cases it is fixed.

I hope it is fixed this time........

See also this thread...

Try also a search in the fault&fixes forum for "Steering column" - there's lots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update Steering & others (draft!)

Well apologies for not writing sooner. Mini ended up in Sweden for nearly 2 months. 3000+ miles later had it serviced + a list of warranty work including:

(1) The creaking steering wheel
(2) The drivers wiper slapping/banging when driving at 60mph+ in light rain
(3) Auto locking sometimes not working when driving
(4) Squeaking Driver seat (base)
(5) Both Lumbar supports 'popping' ie wound up (nice support) then it goes all loose
(6) There is a draft in the passenger footwell, which is particularly noticeable at speed in cold conditions. It appears to be coming from the area around the top righthand side. Nothing to do with the car heating/cooling. It's as if there is a gap/hole to the outside that allows air in. Weird...!

(1) fixed, (2) 'adjusted' with new 'areofoil' on wiper to create less pressure, seems to be behaving (3) 'reset' auto lock and seems to be ok, (4) fixed (5) replaced parts and seems to be working, (6) couldn't be replicated... :confused: even on an overnight test.

Sadly the efforts on the overnight run ended up in a kerbed alloy, which I spotted & garage agreed to sort. Also the efforts of sorting the seats resulted in greasy fingerprints all over them (leather/plastic surrounds), the spring loaded bit when you flip the seats disappeared (have to yank them forward to get access to the back) and all of the seat base plastic surrounds were loose (hand nearly got stuck between seat & surround).

Garage picking up next week to fix all of the above, which would be great. I just wish they could do everything the first time. Save them time & hassle too!

Anyone else experienced the draft experience?

Still grin behind the wheel though :D

Pip pip

R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.