MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this ground has already been covered but has anyone experienced this problem. Over the last couple of weeks the steering on my cooper has developed a loud creaking sound when i turn corners. (if your wondering im not getting mixed up with the noisy power steering) I booked it into my dealers and it was reportedly fixed, however, on leaving the garage it became obvious this had not been done. Its going in again on the 18th but i was hoping some of you could shed light on the issue?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I think mine has the problem you are talking about. It is going in to be fixed this saturday. I was told it is something to do with the lining which contains all of the wires that travel down the steering column.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If the creaking is loud, worse in wet weather, does it sound like wet rubber being twisted? If so it is your top suspension mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my initial diagnosis was along similar lines as the rubber theory, however, i think the sound is pretty consistant, i.e - be it wet or dry. I'll keep an eye out though. Let us know how you get on monsta.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Well, it went back to the dealers at the weekend to have the steering creak fixed and fixed it is!

Good work Broak Oak MINI!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine started intermittent creaking this weekend - back to dealer on Friday - after being there last Wednesday! - car is only 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nothing is more annoying that driving 20 miles down a twisty mountain road with a squeaky steering wheel. It might be due to the turn indicator assembly. They usually have a nylon piece that rides on the steering shaft and returns the turn signal stalk to the middle when you center the wheel. If there is no lubrication, they can make a lot of noise. A squirt of WD-40 might help.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
mr.bill said:
They usually have a nylon piece that rides on the steering shaft and returns the turn signal stalk to the middle when you center the wheel. If there is no lubrication, they can make a lot of noise. A squirt of WD-40 might help.
Thanks for this advice but it was a creak not a squeak and I'm sure no one would like to take an airbag steering wheel off to spray WD40 down the steering shaft when they can just take it to their dealer and get he job done properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got my car back (again) from the garage and the creaky steering has certainly improved but has not been irradicated. However it is down to an acceptable level (at the moment) For a new car there shouldn't be any creaking so i'm considering taking it back an kicking up a bit more of a fuss. I mentioned the suspension mount theory, but to be honest, not being a mechanic i don't think he understood what i was on about. Also had the four wheel laser alignment thingey but still drifts to the left. love the car to bits an hasn't put me off getting an 'S' but i can't see how BMW is unable to find a fix for such problems, especially the drift to the left business.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too had the same problem ! if you turn the steering while parked with the engine running you will notice a loud creak at certain points going from lock to lock. Mine was caused by a collapsed bearing in the steering column. It was fixed in an afternoon by my dealer,it had failed after only 300 miles!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts