MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any recommendations for a MINI-friendly crooklock-type device? When threaded around the wheel my Stoplock doesn't seem to want to close around the rim (not keen on using brute force with all that easily torn leather in the vicinity). Cheers.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I use of of those steering locks that covers the whole wheel :)
Ok so its a bit of a beast but it does the job (what ever that is :D )

Ps My house also has CCTV & Ive got a huge mean BOXER Dog, so dont even think about it :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use one of those red extending ones (ooh-er). Does the job. Had to try and remove one at work the other day. Neither bolt cutters or hacksaw could do it.

Thieves now will cut through the steering wheel and remove the crooklock. The round one that covers the whole wheel would prevent this.

Anything is better than nothing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you need one?

Maybe I'm being a little naive but are you sure you need a crooklock? My dealer went to great lengths to explain that it's impossible to hotwire the car and therefore unless they've got the key or a large truck with a crane, Mini isn't going anywhere. I suppose they could tow it but somehow I doubt car theives would be that bothered?

I didn't even bother with an alarm on mine because all it does is make a noise which no-one pays any attention to. Why pay £200 for something that makes a noise to tell you some git has just nabbed your laptop out of the boot when you can find out for free the next time you visit your car?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Do you need one?

Amberthecat said:
Maybe I'm being a little naive but are you sure you need a crooklock? My dealer went to great lengths to explain that it's impossible to hotwire the car and therefore unless they've got the key or a large truck with a crane, Mini isn't going anywhere. I suppose they could tow it but somehow I doubt car theives would be that bothered?

I didn't even bother with an alarm on mine because all it does is make a noise which no-one pays any attention to. Why pay £200 for something that makes a noise to tell you some git has just nabbed your laptop out of the boot when you can find out for free the next time you visit your car?
Couldn't agree more. I haven't bothered with any additional security since I bought my first car with a key transponder about 8 years ago. There is a reason that all of the burnt out stolen cars are old Novas, Fiestas etc. If someone wants to steal your shiny new car to order though, then nothing you do is going to make a difference.

Ian

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I've opted for the factory fit alarm and fully comp. insurance ;)
Thats enough security for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As the Mini has a key which fits into a hole in the steering column, i find it hard to believe it cant be hotwired. Car thieves will get a hold of a car they wish to steal in the future by borrowing or hiring. They take it apart and find out what to remove and what wires to join and - hey-presto - the heynes manual to car theft.

Might not happen to you, but a crooklock is no bother and makes your car slightly less desirable than the one next to it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
belfastcooper said:
As the Mini has a key which fits into a hole in the steering column, i find it hard to believe it cant be hotwired. Car thieves will get a hold of a car they wish to steal in the future by borrowing or hiring. They take it apart and find out what to remove and what wires to join and - hey-presto - the heynes manual to car theft.

Might not happen to you, but a crooklock is no bother and makes your car slightly less desirable than the one next to it.
Without the correct transponder (a unique chip) embedded in your key, the engine management system will simply refuse to run the engine - injectors will not open, spark plugs will not fire.

Ian

·
Registered
577 Posts
Why bother? The coppers will find the crook jammed against the steering wheel by the seat, banging on the door trying to get it to open, while going around and around in left-hand circles.:D :D :D

Steering wheel locks will slow a thief, but won't stop one who is determined. A few years ago the cops broke up a car theft ring specializing in Porsches. In one corner of the warehouse, they found a pile of steering wheels, all with "The Club" on them.

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Autolok

Just go for the original Autolok 2000. It's what Halfords copied of.

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
smiffy said:

Ps My house also has CCTV & Ive got a huge mean BOXER Dog, so dont even think about it :D :D :D :D
Do you live in Moss-side or summat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
iaa said:
Without the correct transponder (a unique chip) embedded in your key, the engine management system will simply refuse to run the engine - injectors will not open, spark plugs will not fire.

Ian
In fact the starter motor will not even crank the engine over.

Save your money folks, the only thing that the Krooklok does is to slow down your door-to-door time as it takes so long to put them on and take them off the wheel!

·
Registered
330 Posts
They are a useful visual deterrent if you leave your car in a risky area, and they're also useful if you just want peace of mind. The best cover the entire steering wheel, I use this

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
iaa said:

Ian
Are you trying to tell me the little all plastic spare key has a transponder in it. I don't think so, and it opens and starts my car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
belfastcooper said:

Are you trying to tell me the little all plastic spare key has a transponder in it. I don't think so, and it opens and starts my car.
Yes the little plastic key does have a transponder in it. It is a tiny chip embedded inside and doesn't need a battery, because it is powered by a pulse of radio energy transmitted from the steering column.

Since 1998, EU regulations have compelled car manufacturers to fit electronic immobilisers to all new cars. The most recent statistics from the Home Office, show that car theft is now decreasing (attributed to better standard car security). One statistic I saw is that only 0.25% per year of newer cars with immobilisers are stolen and most of these thefts have been put down to fraud!

By all means use a crook lock if it gives you peace of mind, but I think you are more likely to damage your car hefting such a large lump of metal around inside it, than you are to deter a casual car thief - who's eyes are on the older cars that he can actually drive off successfully without having to change the engine management system first.

The downside of improved car security, is that car jacking is on the rise, as it is a lot easier to take a car with the engine running already and most importantly the key in! Never leave you car with the keys in on the garage forecourt or warming up on the drive at home.

Ian

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it kind of depends where you live/leave the car. I would get one if you are concerned. I would rather pay £40 and get one which acts as a deterrent than not and get some chancer trying to get in.

The same goes for the alarm.

Take two MINIs sitting side by side and one has alarm & wheel lock and the other has neither, which do you think the thief will have a go at?

Just watch out for leaving stuff on display on the glovebox space.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thefts

iaa said:
Never leave you car with the keys in on the garage forecourt or warming up on the drive at home.
Good advice...most UK insurance policies exclude theft if the keys are left in or on the car.

Other incidents involving thefts using the keys are on the increase too - where the keys are taken from hallways in peoples' homes!!

Think where you leave your car keys? Probably in the front door lock itself, or just inside somewhere on a hook or hall table. If you door is unlocked, it's simple for a thief to nip in, take the keys and make off with your pride and joy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts