MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a luggage basket on top of my car. I currently have a Yakima MegaWarrior basket I use for another car. Has anyone tried putting a Yakima Load/MegaWarrior basket on a MINI factory set of towers & rails? This basket is over-sized for the car but I think it may work. Lengthwise it should fill the roof; and the width should make it overhang the side rain gutters by a few (3?) inches.

I’m thinking that the MINI rails would be best for me since I tend overload the basket. The only missing piece of data for me is the length of the cross-rails. Could someone with the MINI roof rack measure the length of the rails between the towers? Are the front and back rails the same length? I need a full 28” to mount my basket.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Response from Yakima...

I asked Yakima if the MegaWarrior basket would fit the MINI rack and the response was:
"The Mega Warrior basket will not fit the factory rack..."

I asked for clarification (in what way doesn't it fit) and they replied:
"We do not have any fit info for the factory rack..."

So there you have it.

Could someone measure for me the length of the OEM MINI bars (both) inside the towers? And give me some idea of their thickness? I'm pretty sure this basket should work, but... I'd hate to be wrong :)

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bars are 36" in length from tower to tower, and are approx. 28.25" apart, measured from center to center. They are elliptical in shape, with the width being 2.5" and height 1.5", and they have a slot running the entire length of the bar for mounting accessories.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MiniDH said:
The bars are 36" in length from tower to tower, and are approx. 28.25" apart, measured from center to center. They are elliptical in shape, with the width being 2.5" and height 1.5", and they have a slot running the entire length of the bar for mounting accessories.
Thank you very much MiniDH! All is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts