MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, I bought a pair of Alpine SPX-177A two-way component car speakers with 6-1/2” mid/woofer, soft dome tweeter, and crossover. I was planning this as a fairly simple drop in change of the speakers only and really looking forward to hearing these in the MINI. But the change out had to be abandoned until I find another answer.

Here’s the dilemma: The crossover assemblies are too big to fit within the door compartment. Many of you have successfully mounted crossovers inside the door behind the mid/woofers. These won’t fit there, nor anywhere else in the door. See the photos below for an idea of how big these are.

I thought of replacing the crossovers with smaller ones, but matching crossovers to speakers is apparently not easy. Also thought of building smaller crossovers from scratch with appropriate design, which wouldn't be easy but might be a fun endeavor.

CarAudio.com forum members suggested keeping the Alpine crossovers and finding another place to mount them, like under the seats, in the boot, etc. Moving the crossovers out of the door would entail routing speaker wiring out of and back into the door. However, reading this forum leads me to believe that fishing wire to or from the door is very difficult and some gave up the attempt.

Also, I wanted to keep the stock wiring harness intact as much as possible. This would mean connecting to the speaker wires in the door, routing a pair of wires out of the door to the crossovers somewhere in the body, then running two pairs of wires back to the door speakers.

Questions:

1. Is this even a consideration? It would add three pairs of speaker wire to the flexible tube between the body and door, which doesn’t look big enough for that.
2. I guess I could cut the stock speaker wire before it goes into the door and reduce the number of new wires in the tube by one pair. How much dismantling of the interior dash, etc. would this require? I really wanted to keep this simple without taking the car apart. Would two additional wires fit through the tube?
3. What other ideas can you suggest?

I may be able to return the speakers and start over, but would like to make them work if possible.

I’d appreciate any help you can provide.

By the way, taking the door panels off was pretty easy and they went back on without a hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Keep looking. There must be somewhere in the door you can mount the x-overs even if
they don't fit next to the speakers which is the quick and easy solution most of us have
used. Just remember to search for a suitable place with the window wound down. If there
really isn't room you can thread new wires through but you'll need lots of patience. I'd use
the stock wires for the tweeter and good quality wires for the mid-range. That way you only
need to add one pair of wires to the doors.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crossover in door?

Thanks. These crossovers are 7" (17cm) x 7" (13cm) x 2" (4.75cm) so fitting them in the door looked imposible, but I'll open the door panel again this weekend and check again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
spanky
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing