MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got in the 02 mini one today, put it in reverse and there was a loud crunching sound at first i thought id run over something, i set off and it sounded like i was dragging tin cans behind me, exhaust i thought, stopped got out and looked under the car.....nothing.

so i carried on slowly on my journey as i had to pick the other half up from work.

it was driving fine except when i lifted off the gas i could hear the tin cans, so i pull up behind a bus and wait for it to set off, in gear gas down and nothing, so im stuck in rush hour traffic with a car that wont go, bad you think? i was in the middle of the road, bad you think? not even as the bloody thing wouldnt even free roll in neutral. now i know what the noise was and i think its the gearbox. so im sat for 30 mins stuck in rush hour traffic with the car refusing to move no matter how many people try to push it.

eventually when i put it in reverse a sign of life, it moved, so i jumped out went 10 cars down and told them to wait so i could reverse the car off the road into the side road behind me.

car now moved i sat there thinking f**king hell and started to mess with the gear stick again. put it in first and all of a sudden i got a bite. so i went for it i thought if it goes again im in no worse situation than i am now.

well after that the car was driving fine as before but with the tin can sounding rattle, nursed it home and its sat outside.

so whats the verdict? kapput gearbox?

how much? lucky for me ive only just bought it a month if that ago and it has a 3 month warranty that ive checked and it covers gearbox. got to ring them tomorrow as the phone was answered but it wasnt the right department.

first car ive ever had thats broken down on me and i thought they where rock solid BMW cars.

live and learn and i still love it but im just without a car till its repaired and hopefully at no cost to me.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Almost certainly your gearbox / clutch has gone. Early pre 2004 facelift MINI One and Coopers have a Rover Midland gearbox which if you search on here for "Midland Gearbox" you will find many failures, often related to the differential. Later 2004 on MINIs have a stronger 5-speed Getrag gearbox, the Cooper S has always had a 6-speed Getrag box.
Expensive job so good that you have a warranty to cover it.
(New Midland gearboxes are no longer available so a recon unit will be fitted. The later Getrag box can only be fitted by changing several other parts like driveshafts, flywheel and gearbox mountings, etc.)

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got to take it in on monday the 30th for them to "take a look" i can see me having to fight these as its got to go on there site, and i dont think there capable of doing a gearbox job by the sounds of it.

just got to wait and see but i cant see this going straight forward.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
got to take it in on monday the 30th for them to "take a look" i can see me having to fight these as its got to go on there site, and i dont think there capable of doing a gearbox job by the sounds of it.

just got to wait and see but i cant see this going straight forward.
Well, the car is under warranty and it has a serious problem. The case is black and white - they will have to replace your gearbox with another one.

As mab01uk says, it will most likely be a reconditioned Midland gearbox - and will eventually go the same way. If you're lucky (and you bought from a BMW dealer?), you might be able to push for a Getrag 5-speed replacement (as are available on the July 2004 Facelift ONE/Cooper), but it's a long-shot as many other parts require replacement to make that compatible and might require a bit of a contribution from you.

If you look after the replacement Midland box, it should last you a reasonable amount of time.

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
As you say you have a 3month warrenty, i dont think you will have bought it from BMW.

In that case i think you are going to have to fight and fight hard, i did when my first cooper gearbox went and i stil lost.

It was down the the differential coming loose as its only fitted with a compression fit and after time loose its strenght. i had the warrenty company come take a look 2 times and they dissagreed then i paid for my own independant inspector to look and written a full report saying how its mechanical failure,

Even then i lost.

Cost me £1370 to get it reconditioned and fully fixed.

·
3,342 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about that Scotty. :frown:
Thanks,

Its been a while now since that, 18 month as i traded it in with BMW for my MCS.

Just wish i didnt have to fork out that much as it was painful.

I loved it i did :frown:

Ohh well, i hope it goes well and you get the work done for you. i should try and claim mine back if you win and its the same cause. :hmph:

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far so good, took it in with no arguement, 2 days later they phoned and i thought oh **** here we go, but no..........mr itsonrails.........yeah.................box is out and we,ve sent it off as we dont do them here this is a courtesy call to let you know whats happening, we'll give you a ring later in the week to let you know how its going.

me hangs up................... sits back and thinks that was painless.

looks like i got off and its been fixed and will be ready end of this week /start of next week at no cost.

an actual warranty thats worth the paper its written on.

im pleased.

·
3,342 Posts
Glad to hear all is well. The MINI cherished warranty is indeed worth the paper it's written on, providing you have a good honest dealer. I would always recommend that someone buy a car from the cherished scheme over an independant dealer, unless it still has at least 12 months factory warranty left of course;)
Its not a Cherished warrenty....

But what warrenty company was it with?

Scott

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
car was bought from car craft. its there NAC warranty which you get when you buy a car from them.

thought id have trouble as i bought the car out right so no finance (px and cash), no finance no interest for them i thought, but no they honoured it so it seems.

touch wood alls well when i go get it and there not after anything off me.

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got it back today, they didnt even ask for any paperwork just handed me the keys.

only thing im ****ed with now is they have added 3 nice scratches to my car only small but nether the less they are there and they wasnt before.

still i suppose they could have been awkward as hell with the gearbox.

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRH!!!!! the feckers. got it back as stated, didnt think to test all the buttons tho just the locking and my window, just picked the other half up from work she tries her window............dead along with a few other items.

on the phone in the morn, so they'll have it for even more time once i take it back............grrrrrr!!!!

·
land of hope and glory
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well its all working for now and im glad its done, there was a guy in the shop and he was having a go at them as they'd had his car 4 months, yes 4 months, it was a pug and it was at the main dealers and the seller and pug themselfs had spent 4 months arguing over who would pay for the work so it wasnt done, boy im glad mine was in and out in a week. 4 months id have got my money back and walked.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts