MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Driven like its stolen
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly cow in a focus smacked into us last night. Emma and myself had been on a mini adventure to Lewes and Rye for the day. About 10pm on way home passed close to croydon. Focus was riding our bumper, we were keeping a respectful distance from a bus we were following. touched brakepad to trigger brakelights - no effect. flicked rear fog - no effect, 400 yards later coming to top of hill, bus touched brake i touced brake, she came into back of us, followed by an astra. Max's bubmer is dead but appears to be only damage - going for inspection later on. was recoverd my mini recovery, but drove car once home to check how bad. focus was mangled a testiment to the mini. Pics attached

[/url]

[/url]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Silly Cow - was it a woman?

Maybe she was pre-occupied with doing her hair and make up in the rear view mirror and therefore did not see the flash of either the brake lights or the fog lamp!
 

·
Back in a first gen.
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
paulworthing said:
Silly Cow - was it a woman?

Maybe she was pre-occupied with doing her hair and make up in the rear view mirror and therefore did not see the flash of either the brake lights or the fog lamp!
Or was it a boy racer, too busy trying to put on his baseball cap, rather than watching the road ahead!!!!

Mind you "silly cow" - it had to be a woman :):):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Bad Bad Bad Focus --

I hate tailgaters, they are the scourge of the earth :mad:

Hope all ends well for you both
 

·
minimalist
Joined
·
585 Posts
sorry to hear of this, so many rear ended minis these days...

what did this poor excuse for a driver have to say for her(?)self?
 

·
Driven like its stolen
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
she gave no explanation - obviously read the insurance documentation that says accept no liability. she was bleating to be how her back, neck and now wrists hurt - am i supposed to care, i warned her twice not to follow so close. anyway, max is drivable abliet with impaired rear suspension, his boot floor is split, but that wont affect his structural rigidity when repaired
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
//

the technique is just like mine --brake lights
and then, if necessary, rear fog light. if that
_still_ doesn't work, i switch on the hazard
lights.

i hope everything gets well, soon!

kthxbye.

b.

//
 

·
AWOL
Joined
·
14,247 Posts
jongar said:
she gave no explanation - obviously read the insurance documentation that says accept no liability. she was bleating to be how her back, neck and now wrists hurt - am i supposed to care, i warned her twice not to follow so close. anyway, max is drivable abliet with impaired rear suspension, his boot floor is split, but that wont affect his structural rigidity when repaired
And she got whiplash ?.... LOL.... some people never cease to amaze me !.... Hope yours gets fixed up soon and is back to tip top condition.... hope she loses her no claims bonus !
 

·
About to place my order!
Joined
·
10 Posts
jongar said:
Focus was riding our bumper, we were keeping a respectful distance from a bus we were following. touched brakepad to trigger brakelights - no effect. flicked rear fog - no effect, 400 yards later coming to top of hill, bus touched brake i touced brake, she came into back of us, followed by an astra.
Sorry to hear about your accident.

The most effective way I've found to get people off my tail is to just slow down. I'll just slow right down to "Elderly Gentleman Driver" speed, and let them stand on the horn, flash their lights, whatever. Put the hazard lights, pull over, and wait for them to pass.

Touching the brakes and using the rear fog lights has never worked for me, only the above.

If the person behind you is following too closely, the only safe course of action for you is to slow down, for everyone's safety.

The beauty with this method is that usually the person tailgating you is doing so because you're not going fast enough for them .. so slowing down infuriates them :) I love watching people road rage ...
 

·
Driven like its stolen
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was my slowing down that caoused the accident apparently according to her will post more later re that
 

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Im sure everything will be repaired soon... although it is an inconvenience.. you were not at fault!!

Todd
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
22 Participants
simeds
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing
Top