MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Mini Cooper S Convertible in June from Sandia Mini of Albuquerque. Since the dealership was to open the end of November, I was told I would receive the car then. I spoke to the dealership yesterday and was told that there would be a delay in delivery and that some of the sold Minis in the shipment were "crushed beyond repair". Has anyone heard of this yet? I was told that mine was not one of those crushed...Frankly, I am quite nervous about my delivery...

·
Off to the Dealer
161 Posts
This sounds a bit fishy to me . . .pun intended. Did you ever get a Product Number from your dealer to track your Mini? There would also be a VIN as well.

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
You can track your shipment on the USA site I think, you could check and see if its gone thru by ship or by road...

·
Registered
641 Posts
hrkk2 said:
I ordered a Mini Cooper S Convertible in June from Sandia Mini of Albuquerque. Since the dealership was to open the end of November, I was told I would receive the car then. I spoke to the dealership yesterday and was told that there would be a delay in delivery and that some of the sold Minis in the shipment were "crushed beyond repair". Has anyone heard of this yet? I was told that mine was not one of those crushed...Frankly, I am quite nervous about my delivery...
Very Bad news for those whose car was crushed if this is true as I guess it's back to the end of the queue for their order and a long wait.

This reminds me of a couple of years ago when a freight ship sunk in the English Channel which was full up with BMW's Mercedes, Audi's and Volvo's etc. I do know of one guys who had a Volvo on order on a long waiting list, he got fed up with the fact that his car was on the shipment and went and bought a Cooper S instead, not all bad then ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
My condolences to you if yours was one of those crushed but it could be worse - they could have repaired it and then you would have a car that had been crushed and repaired!
There is an article about a tour of the Vehicle processing Plant the Los Angeles Chapter of the BMWCCA toured the BMW Vehicle Distribution at Port Hueneme in Oxnard, California.

http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2624

This MINI was on the lower level of a transport truck. The shipper lowered the upper deck and crushed the roof. BMW has replaced the roof and the car will soon visit the paint shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your comments...

Thank you for your comments regarding the crushed shipment. My dealer has not provided me with a VIN number or Product number...I emailed him immediately asking for them! Yes, I am very concerned that my Mini might have been damaged if not crushed and the delay might be because they are repairing the damage? I did check that website earlier and that is when my concern went sky high! I was hoping that someone else had spoken to Kenny and might know more information on the crushed vehicles...

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
If my new mini was crushed and they offered to repair it id decline, and get them to build me a new one asap. You never know what other problems can occur from the previous incident, plus you paid for a new mini not a damaged one.
Just my 2p's worth :)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
keep pushing your dealer for that information, normally it is given to anyone that has an order placed, especially if it has shipped, very strange you do not have this from them

·
Off to the Dealer
161 Posts
hrkk2 said:
Thank you for your comments regarding the crushed shipment. My dealer has not provided me with a VIN number or Product number...I emailed him immediately asking for them! Yes, I am very concerned that my Mini might have been damaged if not crushed and the delay might be because they are repairing the damage? I did check that website earlier and that is when my concern went sky high! I was hoping that someone else had spoken to Kenny and might know more information on the crushed vehicles...
If your MA doesn't provide you with the production number or VIN immeaditely go straight to the Sales Manager and/or Owner. It's really sounding like they never placed your order. :mad: I really hope I'm wrong.

Also, I'm not sure of how to do it, but you could try and contact MiniUSA as weel.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
nemski said:
If your MA doesn't provide you with the production number or VIN immeaditely go straight to the Sales Manager and/or Owner. It's really sounding like they never placed your order. :mad: I really hope I'm wrong.

Also, I'm not sure of how to do it, but you could try and contact MiniUSA as weel.
thinking along similar lines to you too, no order numbers, no VIN, no-one else mentioning there car on there, weird hey?

But doubt it would be a dealer that wouldn't process the order;)

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I'm expecting delivery of a mini in a couple of weeks, and don't have the chassis/vin number. But i do have an order number (being in seven digits - i assume this a central UK mini ordering system number).

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Lawrothegreat said:
I'm expecting delivery of a mini in a couple of weeks, and don't have the chassis/vin number. But i do have an order number (being in seven digits - i assume this a central UK mini ordering system number).
works a bit different for those in the US;)

·
MINI Groupie
105 Posts
Keep the faith!

A delay in delivery is nothing compared to having your car crushed. My sympathy to those who will experience significant "delays" while their order is re-done. Hopefully, Sandia has some current dealer spec'd vehicles in production they can change so the replace time will be quick.

I would think the delivery delay is because of the needs of insurance to do it's thing. Documentation of the damage etc. If the accident occurred on the truck or trailer they could possibly be dealing with a third party and you know what a nightmare that is. Your car is most likely an innocent bystander but has to hang around as a witness. Don't worry too much, you'll be able to do a thorough check of your vehicle when you pick it up.

The important this is yours is okay. Its inconvenient but not totally devastating. It would be nice if we could control the world but since we can't, just roll with it. Otherwise we get crushed. Plus just think how much more you'll appreciate your ride...it's a survivor!

As to the lack of production number and VIN, Sandia did not become an official dealership till just a handful of days ago. Until they signed the paperwork with corporate MINI they did not have log on privileges or online access to the MINI computer network. So all their orders have been the old fashioned way...on hard copy.

Keep your chin up and you'll feel much better after you talk to Kenny tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm surprised they're reselling that car that was damaged on the car carrier. A friend of mine used to work at a Chevrolet dealership in the 70's and told me a story about a damaged delivery. Apparently the driver of the carrier took a bridge that was too low for his truck's loaded clearance and took the roof off of the topmost car (an Olds Cutlass). The truck had 7 cars on it, and the Olds was the only one damaged. GM ordered the carrier to stop at the nearest dealership and unload all the cars (this was the place my friend worked at). They then sent a company technician and a legal representative to supervise as each of the cars was hauled off and crushed completely, then sold for scrap. My friend inquired why they were destroying 6 perfectly good cars, and the answer was that the liability was too great; if someone were to have an accident in one of those cars they could sue GM and allege that since it was on a carrier involved in an accident that there may have been damage to their car that contributed to the accident. The lawyer explained that $80,000 worth of product was generally not worth the multi hundred-thousand dollar (or more) lawsuit (this was in 1970's dollars, mind you). Either BWM/MINI has a lot of faith in their repairs or the numbers work out different these days.

·
Motoring At Last!
49 Posts
Lawrothegreat said:
That sounds like your production number. Mine was seven digits, anyway. At some point in the process that number will get associated with a VIN number. You can find this out by going to the Owner's Lounge online.

I don't remember the exact details, but it's something like this:

Go to miniusa.com, click on the link for the Owner's Lounge, and register. (Choose a user name and password.) Type in your 7-digit number when asked.

At this point, you might have to log in - or you may already be logged in once you register. I don't remember. But then you'll see a link that says "Track your baby." Click that, wait through the animation, and then click on "View Order Details." That should contain your VIN if it has been assigned.

Good luck!

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
hrkk2 said:
What? Have you heard anything else about this? Our car has been "at the docks" in Charleston for two weeks now, with zero information forthcoming. They didn't happen to tell you where these cars were when they were crushed, did they?

-Eric

·
Registered
783 Posts
My MINI's roof was dented (as opposed to crushed) when a ramp was dropped on it during delivery. I agonized over whether to take delivery, or wait for a new car. I found out where the body work was being done, and went down to see "my" car before it was repaired. I decided, after seeing that all the repairs were being done from the outside, with no broken glass or structural damage, that I'd wait to see how the repair turned out. I scrutinized the roofs of a number of new cars on the lot, and decided if the repaired roof looked as good, I'd go ahead and take delivery. The body shop told me that they repair a lot of new cars that have been damaged prior to sale. Those cars go on the lot as new. If I had opted to not take delivery of my car, it would have been sold as a new car to someone who didn't know it had been damaged. Likewise, the car I would have waited months to get as a replacement may also have been damaged and repaired, and then sold to me as new. The repair looked perfect, so I drove away in my new MINI. No regrets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts