MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the fact that they squeak a little bit, they are way too small. they need to be deeper. You get mini mints with you car (i did), but you also need mini cup to go with the mini cup holders. Just my opinion. They just need to be deeper. Gimmi your thoughts or if u even have this problem :(

·
Registered
227 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my car home was take a 12 ounce plastic cup, paint it anthracite grey, and plunk it in the cup holder to the right of the ashtray. It blends in with the anterior, gives me aplace to put my sunglasses, tissue and a few other items like pen and such. Its pretty useless as a cup holder, if you have anything bigger than a 12 ounce can. The big clunky cup holder attached to the right side downtube is the opposite - way too big. Even though it will hold the biggest cup in the world, it gets in the way of everything from changing CD's to opening the passenger window. Why are car companies so reluctant to build in ergonomic cup holders into the upper part of the dash between any air bags? Two nice big depressions in the top of the dash would work great. Must be an English thing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
JoeDentist said:
Must be an English thing
I think it's more a European/German thing. The Europeans seem to treat driving much more seriously as an activity deserving our full attention than the A.D.D. American driver community :). Personally I prefer the smaller cup holders as it keeps most beverages out of my car -- I'm not a big fan of eating/drinking in the car while driving (especially a stick shift). It also makes it much less tempting to stop at a drive thru since the drinks don't have any place to sit.

I know my opinion is (a) just that and (b) counter to the American way. :) Oh well, to each their own. Gotta go take out that monster cup holder they put in my new car. (That thing is awful).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Onli in US

I think this ugly giant cupholder optional in US only, cus We have lots of junkfood places with 12 (or more) oz cups. I don't need one like this, cus i'm not fat(that's why i get MINI, in other case it can be Suburban :) ) and i dont eat and drink match when i'm driving, i have bottle of water in my car and it's has a cap on it, so i can put it anywhere.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
In late 2002 or so, MINI actually sent out to all existing owners, and gave out to new purchases a MINI cup, that was specifically designed to fit in the front cupholder. Mine's downstairs if you really want a picture of it, but its just short enough to squeeze under the toggle switches, otherwise looks like a normal stainless travel mug.

They stopped doing it with the 'add-on' cupholder off the downtube that showed up a year or so later. I do think however, they may still sell the cup that fits as an accessory.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Yeah, the stainless steel mug is still available. I got it for my birthday. Haven't used it yet though. The cap seals tightly, but is not air-tight so I am afraid that some liquid will creep out from it during spirited driving. But it's nice for a leisurely spin and even nicer if you don't want the big holder on the right downtube.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Seeing as tough I am an "ugly american" (of sorts), can't do without mah cup of coffee in the morning so right out of the box got me two (count em) two of them custom coffee mugs that will fit "down there". Didn't really like the big one and I thought I'd get rid of it.....until the first time I tried driving and putting the custom cup back where it belongs.....
Now I am the proud owner of two pretty useless mugs, use the big holder for mah coffee and madame treasurer uses the one between the seats when she's along.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Giant Slurpee holder is more like it! :)

indimini said:
I know my opinion is (a) just that and (b) counter to the American way. :) Oh well, to each their own. Gotta go take out that monster cup holder they put in my new car. (That thing is awful).
The removal of the pillar cup holder (of mini fini origin from what I understand) was the first mod I did after taking delivery! :D IMHO, it was fugly; plus, it's in the knee of any passenger.

Now, it's been a month and I haven't missed it. The console cup holders work for me. They hold a small bottle of water just fine.

I don't mind stopping and gettting out of the MINI for a food and drink break.

Motor on!

·
MINI Fan (atic)
276 Posts
1) "Add-on" cupholder?? ( US Market only.)

2) Stainless steel MINI cup?? ( All markets presumably.)

Anyone got some pics of these items???

This is the first I have heard of 1) and have not seen 2) before, although I have heard of it.

Also, how much is the MINI cup (GB £, please, if it is available in the UK)

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
indimini said:
I'm not a big fan of eating/drinking in the car while driving (especially a stick shift). It also makes it much less tempting to stop at a drive thru since the drinks don't have any place to sit.
There was a threat made by me against my mom when I took delivery of my car. She had a coffee she got from the dealership and put it in the "american" cup holder installed in my car (the one thats a dealer accessory that they gave me free, see my gallery for pics). The threat was basically you spill anything in my car, you die. Might be a bit harsh but it'll keep people from doing stupid stuff in my car.

The cup holder has sinc ebeen removed from it's mounting bracket. It kept getting in the way of ejecting CDs from my HK system. Right now it's rattling around on the floor of the passenger side seat (soon to be put in the boot).

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Both of them are US Market only.

There's a picture of the older style clipon cup holder in my gallery. Right after 2005s started being delivered, they switched to a different style, but its the same purpose.

The mug might be available as an accessory outside the US, but I sort of doubt it.

And I still have the holder, which is ugly, because I found that I rarely have passangers, and I keep all sorts of stuff in there, my cell phone, my badge for work. Easier then the smaller cupholders, as the badge is too big to fit anyway.

And I use it as a cupholder often as well - because while I don't drink or eat in my car except on very rare occasions, I often get take/carry out, and then drive home with it. I regularly have a large cup of iced tea, or a liter of water in it, which won't fit in the rear cupholder either. Not my fault if I'm thirsty, and want to drink large quantities of calorie-free liquid.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My car (04 MCS) came with the large add-on cupholder attached to the downtube, which is in the way of the passenger's knee so when I have a passenger it needs to be folded in to where it's in front of the shifter, which barely clears it when going to fifth gear.

Now MINI (at least in the US) have a better cupholder. It attaches to the passenger side downtube also, but higher up than the old one -- it attaches at about the level of the stereo. This one doesn't seem to be in the way of anything except the glove box if you want to open it, but it rotates left to right so you can easily move it out of the way. It seems to be the best idea yet if you want a cupholder bigger than the stock ones, and it's available from MINIUSA for $49.00 US. However, it attaches to the downtube not by clamping but with a screw, and it seems to be one sided, so I'm not sure if there's one of these available for those who have a right hand drive car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
MINIGT50 said:
Now MINI (at least in the US) have a better cupholder. It attaches to the passenger side downtube also, but higher up than the old one -- it attaches at about the level of the stereo. This one doesn't seem to be in the way of anything except the glove box if you want to open it, but it rotates left to right so you can easily move it out of the way. It seems to be the best idea yet if you want a cupholder bigger than the stock ones, and it's available from MINIUSA for $49.00 US. However, it attaches to the downtube not by clamping but with a screw, and it seems to be one sided, so I'm not sure if there's one of these available for those who have a right hand drive car.
That's the one I have in my 05 MCS. I'de have to disagree with it not really getting in the way. Like I said previously it gets in the way if you want to eject a CD. Yeah it can be rotated/pivoted between 3 positions (left, center, right) but it's still in the way. Fortunately you can remove it, either by taking out the screw and removing the mount, or by pulling the bottom of it which would pull the bar out of the mount. I've removed mine via the 2nd method for the time being and tossed the cup holder into the boot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got the one that swivels with my car and after about 3 months of getting in the way of sliding the passenger seat forward or my passengers swiveling it out of their way so it interfered with my shifting, I unscrewed it and mounted it backwards so that it can't hold as large of drinks (still better than the ones that you can't put a full can of soda in) but I've been pretty happy with it the way it is now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find these posts funny as i dated an English girl and spent 3 weeks with her and her family in Wales. One day i get ready to trip with her in her car and bring a cup of coffee with me. She looked at me like i had friggin lost my mind lol...she'd say "daft". Oh, and don't forget, the glove compartment has two cup 'holders'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.