MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission malfunctioned in my CVT Mini. Dealership pulled out shifter mechanism and found it filled with liquid - Coke, water and other beverages I suspect.

Mini refuses to warranty - saying its an outside influence. I investigated and found that the liquid clearly leaked from the screw hole in the bottom of the cup holders down into the shifter mechanism. Cup holders are not water tight and sit squarely over the shifter.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Please help! I'm fighting MINI because some idiot decided to put the liquid cup holders over an instrument that should be water tight.

·
Registered
585 Posts
jgouker said:
I'm fighting MINI because some idiot decided to put the liquid cup holders over an instrument that should be water tight.
shouldn't you have made sure the liquid container was watertight before placing it in the holder? i.m afraid that i cant see how this is a design fault by the car manudacturer, but more like an accident caused by the user. Audi / vw cupholders have no bottom.

sorry but i don't think you will have a leg to stand on , but best of luck trying.

gerry

·
Registered
888 Posts
Rear cupholder is water-tight - use that one instead in future!

If they claimed they were actually water-tight, and advertised them as cups, that would be one thing (vision of someone drinking directly out of them comes to mind....) but they don't so...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
###
Please describe what this means.

Have you experienced a "spill" when a little slosh of something ran down the side of a can or bottle (as in "drips"), or are you using the cup holders to somehow hold liquids (ie: transferring fluids from a container into the cup holders [as a container])?

###
Please describe more fully what Service said has happened here.

What parts got wet or "filled" as you said it? What actually malfunctioned? What is the "instrument" you describe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ever Had Iced Drink in Southern US?

The car is driven in southern US. If you've ever been here or lived here you know - cold beverages sweat like mad. Also, paper or styrofoam cups can leak. Apparently, over the past year that liquid has accumulated in the shifter mechanism. Never been a spill in the car - all liquid from bottom or sides of cups.

How should a driver know that the liquid is falling into an area that should never get wet?

Everyone beware because the entire shifter mechanism is exposed from the top. They've taken great care to seal the unit from the bottom, but the top is wide open. Now that I've seen the way its designed, I'll never let kids in it again. It won't matter much anyway because the way the dealership and Mini USA have treated me, I won't have the car for much longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
learn my lesson?

John Roberts BMW has agreed that if any condensation from a cup will trickle down on to the shifter mechanism, so they said that changing the expensive part will fix the car but you probably should not use them as cup holders in the future. No where does it say that these are not cup holders. So I don't really know what lesson you want me to learn. The sales person told us these were cup holders. They say this is only a problem on the automatic because of the electronics located under the cup holder. I have had nothing but trouble with this car. After two weeks of owning the car, the air conditioner quite. I was told this was due to the air conditioner being installed wrong. I was without the car for a week. My windshield wiper fluid has never worked. The front windshield rattles. The driver side window squeeks very loudly when it is opened or closed. The chrome around the passanger side headlight is coming off. The car has been in three times for warranty and regular maintenance, the dealership is aware of all the things wrong but the things never get fixed(they don't have the parts so I will have to bring it in another time.) The closest dealer ship is almost an hour away. I have already been without the car for over two weeks in a years time. The rear latch on the hatch back was replaced because of the awful rattle. This is all within the first year what other things will pop up if I keep it for five? BMW does not want to stand behind the car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
So... I would take your description to mean "condensation" and "drips", not high volume spills or purposed use of these receptacles as containers. In other words, you were using the "cup holders" as they were designed to be used. Right?

BMW Group will cover the costs of these repairs (In My Opinion).

But... You seem to be very pointed or angry or demanding, and if I were across the counter there might be a reluctance to go the extra bit with you just because you were screaming or demanding or calling me names. No need to comment on any of this here in the Forum, just ask yourself how the situation has been approached.

Ask for help, calmly. *** Let us know what happens. ***

This is not an excuse, but from my own personal experiences I can comment that: BMW Group has been stretched to support a new and largely separate MINI organization. There have been unexpected issues with software during the first two years that have drained some of the attention from other activities which were planned to happen by now. There has been enormous improvements during this time. The cars work now. The support system is working now too. The cars still getting the [deserved] attention and smiles which was there at Launch over two years ago. Good changes are coming. Driving a MINI is a very "current" experience, still fresh; heads turn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Calm but Frustrated

I've put up with a lot on the car over the past year (squeaky windows, etc.) because I really like the car. BUT, the service dept and MINI USA have not been helpful. It wasn't until I went down to the dealership and showed them where the liquid came from that they even looked into the problem. They have been telling me over the past week that there's soda in the shifter, its a non-warranty item, end of story. I had to have them lower the car down from the lift and show them the pieces and the clear path of the stains (5 days after it was towed into the dealership) and they seemed so surprised to see them.

I feel like the dealership has been completely unsupportive up to this point. They are now beginning to show some reason, but its far from being decided.

My big problem is that even if they replace the shifter mechanism, it does not "fix" the problem. Any fluid in the cup holder will leak into the mechanism and short it out again.

What I'm wondering is if the 2004 and 2005 models still have screws in the bottom of the cup holders? I've never seen a cup holder like this. All others I've seen are open (like the new big holder on the 05 MINI) or completely sealed.

And for all the European MINI drivers -- sorry but Americans drink in their cars and when you have kids in the car you need more than just the single cup holder in the back!

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
jgouker said:
I've put up with a lot on the car over the past year (squeaky windows, etc.) because I really like the car. BUT, the service dept and MINI USA have not been helpful. It wasn't until I went down to the dealership and showed them where the liquid came from that they even looked into the problem. They have been telling me over the past week that there's soda in the shifter, its a non-warranty item, end of story. I had to have them lower the car down from the lift and show them the pieces and the clear path of the stains (5 days after it was towed into the dealership) and they seemed so surprised to see them.

I feel like the dealership has been completely unsupportive up to this point. They are now beginning to show some reason, but its far from being decided.

My big problem is that even if they replace the shifter mechanism, it does not "fix" the problem. Any fluid in the cup holder will leak into the mechanism and short it out again.

What I'm wondering is if the 2004 and 2005 models still have screws in the bottom of the cup holders? I've never seen a cup holder like this. All others I've seen are open (like the new big holder on the 05 MINI) or completely sealed.

And for all the European MINI drivers -- sorry but Americans drink in their cars and when you have kids in the car you need more than just the single cup holder in the back!
I'm curious to hear which dealer you are dealing with... I dont think you've ever mentioned its name. I've mentioned above waht about installing rubber washers in between the screw in the cup holder?

·
Registered
947 Posts
my '02 Cooper CVT with 25K + miles has been absolutely FANTASTIC! ZERO PROBLEMOS!

Oh and I don't drink beverages in the car. Eating is also forbidden.

The car is an early August 2002 build.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I like the rubber washers idea. Someone should try that and put a specification back onto this thread to help everyone. It seems prudent, especially in the CVT (??), to retrofit a preventative measure to these cups.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.