MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how quiet/noisy you percieve the interior road-noise at highway cruising speeds. Does anyone have a decibel meter who could take a reading while on the motor way?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
Wondering how quiet/noisy you percieve the interior road-noise at highway cruising speeds. Does anyone have a decibel meter who could take a reading while on the motor way?
I've never understood how a car's noise level can accurately be measured in the real world - it's too subjective for valid comparisons. For instance, my wife's Nissan acquired new set of Michelins last week. To my ears, the road noise level in the car fitted with these tires dropped significantly. These new tires are quieter, but the car hasn't changed at all, has it? So what is being measured?

Interior road noise levels drop or rise considerably when the type of road surface changes during the course of a single drive - tarmac to concrete for example. Unless there is some standardized protocol to follow, and standardized road surfaces and specific tires to be used, interior noise levels are as meaningless as the treadwear number on tires.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
Don't know. My MINIdisk players too loud !!! :D

Seriously though! I had a Ford Mondeo (Contour) before and the interior sound levels are about the same. Very acceptable. I get a bit of tyre noise on concrete freeways but that's due to the 16" wheels and tyres. :)

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R1,
Thanks. That's the kind of subjective perception I'm looking for.
Bruce, I knew I should have pointed out that this is totally subjective opinions. My Silverado pickup is quieter than my GrandPrix GTP on the highway.
I'm thinking in terms of when driving on the highway for extended trips. Is the road noise always there and something you are aware of, or is it tolerable?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
R1,
Thanks. That's the kind of subjective perception I'm looking for.
Bruce, I knew I should have pointed out that this is totally subjective opinions. My Silverado pickup is quieter than my GrandPrix GTP on the highway.
I'm thinking in terms of when driving on the highway for extended trips. Is the road noise always there and something you are aware of, or is it tolerable?
Cape Cod, understood. But, believe me if there were any type of noise problem at all with the MINI you can bet someone would have posted it on this site. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Noisy Nah !!!

I have today been into my dealers their senior technician informs me that BMW have increased the sound proofing in later models I can identify with this I returned my first MINI and my later built model is substantially quieter. Incidentally he also tells me that BMW in Germany have identified the the drifting to the left problem and affected vehicle should be recalled in the first quater of this year. Their words not mine!! Apart from that I have no other info.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quiet

For a small car, the MINI seems to be exceptionally quiet. I have a humble MINI One with 15 inch alloys. I've only been up to about 90mph but at that speed it is easy to hold a conversation without raising your voice or to listen to music.

Long trips (4 hours or so) are not in the least bit wearing.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the posts. Very encouraging.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was at another MINI forum where the the sunroof-interior noise subject was raised. It was hard to tell if people were speaking from speculation or experience, but it was suggested the sunroof adds considerable noise-- not just open, but when closed too.

Anybody have experience or opinions on that as well?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Cooper has a sunroof fitted (very nice it is too!!) and i've got no complaints about roof noise when the thing is closed. Obviously there's more noise when the things open but it doesn't seem any worse than other sunroofed cars i've driven.
I've not driven a MINI without a sunroof so i can't comment on whether a closed sunroof is noisier than the solid roof, but i'm sure there are folks out there who can....

ps. my MINI has no rattles, squeaks, or left-pulling problems. I'm a very happy bunny indeed!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
SOMETIME BACK THERE WAS A POSTING HAVING TO DO WITH THE REAR SEAT. IN THE PIC'S THERE WAS A SOUND ABSORBING SHHET THAT WAS INSTALLED UNDER THE SEAT. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON THAT "PAD".

·
Registered
52 Posts
The MINI is definately quieter than my Jeep Cherokee Classic on long (2,500 mile interstate) trips; with sun roof closed. A very solid car. My 14 year old daughter got bored, but fatigue was not a factor.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
VERY LOUD! LOTS OF WIND NOISE AND ROAD NOISE AND...WAIT! LET ME ROLL THE WINDOWS UP AND CLOSE THE SUNROOF...
Ooh, that's much quieter, not as exhilarating, but very nice...
Seriously, I've been very impressed, especially in the rain. Very solid and quiet. Mine's an '03 MCS. I do like to use the remote-open and feel the wind, though.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Just to join in too ...
CCM, When i picked up my MC last year I was surprised immediately that it was much quieter than the Lexus I had just got out of.
And I still am impressed today with the quietness of my MCS.

Why are you asking?

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting that this thread popped up. I posted it 16 months ago! Of course I now have 18,000 plus miles on my MCS and know the answer!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts