MINI Cooper Forum banner

What should be done to improve this CVT Forum?

• I'm completely happy; don't do anything.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • This Forum is stale and dated; fresh content is needed.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Prune older Threads to make them shorter and easier to read.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Run a contest to recover interesting subjects and rank the best Threads.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • The Forum should be more technical; mechanical details please.

• The Forum should be more social; share experiences and skills ideas.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Rename the Forum to include the Cooper S Automatic.

• Keep this CVT Forum for CVT-equipped cars only.

Votes: 28 62.2%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about the general state of interest and satisfaction with our shared investigation of the CVT-equipped cars here in the MINI2.com Forums.

How are we doing in this Forum?
-- Feedback, General comments, Level of Satisfaction with the Forum

What would you like to see improved?
-- How would you do it?, Suggestions?

Which subjects or topic threads have been most helpful?
-- Are you "happy" with what has actually happened here in these threads?

Also, given the formal announcement of the Cooper S Auto, the Cooper CVT and One CVT will generate different and interesting status within the MINI model lineup.
-- Is there anything we should do to prepare for these new cars?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, if it weren't for this CVT forum and all of the collective wisdom in it, I'd be driving my CVT like all my previous automatics - and what a phenomenal waste (of technology and transmission) that would be!

As I'd mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I'd read most of the threads (and especially the stickys) well before I received my CVT and have printed out quite a few of the truly remarkable and informative posts.

Thanks for making the CVT so much fun!

-MediocreFred.

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
This CVT forum has been great and enjoyable to browse here with good info. I just wish more people would get involved and post their stories, issues, concerns, and questions. I have appreciated the active involvement and thorough responses from those who have participated, particularly you nonsequitur, but all the others too (you know who you are :) ). I found most valuable your research with ZF finding info on the CVT, such as power handling capabilities. Also, the CVT driving technique thread has given visibility to the uniqueness of the CVT and its proper use. Verry happy am I! Good this forum is! :D May the force be with you.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
phoggberg said:
how do you do LFB on the MINI with the Brake Balancing in effect (it says in the pamphlet you cant turn that off like DSC) does the back end get light?
I never answered your question, sorry! :(

Applying brake pedal does not execute a throttle cutoff (thankfully, this is unlike some other brands which do).

This means that you can generate weight transfer forward with the brakes (more grip from the fronts, and the rear does get light), or rearward by releasing some brake pressure or applying throttle (less grip from the already weighted fronts).

We've had another thread running about Left-foot braking (LFB), which generated some controversy, now resolved I think. You might want to check it out too:
Left Foot Braking vs Corner Brake Control

·
Registered
309 Posts
well here is something i have been curious about.....with the increase in hp with the new '05(?), are they mod'ing the CVT transmission.........ie are they going for the larger belt. along those same lines, I have heard reports here and there on forums about belt breakage. although I have not seen enough reports to draw concern, I am curious to know if we have a trend there.

just some things to keep in the back of the moderators mind.

nice job on the organization of this topic btw, i usually find things i am curious about fairly quickly.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Grumbler said:
well here is something i have been curious about.....with the increase in hp with the new '05(?), are they mod'ing the CVT transmission.........ie are they going for the larger belt. along those same lines, I have heard reports here and there on forums about belt breakage. although I have not seen enough reports to draw concern, I am curious to know if we have a trend there.

just some things to keep in the back of the moderators mind.

nice job on the organization of this topic btw, i usually find things i am curious about fairly quickly.
CVT models did not get an increase in HP, only 1 lb. of torque (if that even).

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
nonsequitur said:
I was curious about the general state of interest and satisfaction with our shared investigation of the CVT-equipped cars here in the MINI2.com Forums.

How are we doing in this Forum?
-- Feedback, General comments, Level of Satisfaction with the Forum
I'm always checking in here, it's the best forum for my car. It's got lottsa excellent input all around, with the exception of the usual manual-centric trolls.

nonsequitur said:
What would you like to see improved?
-- How would you do it?, Suggestions?
I'm pretty satisfied actually. I think we should have some kind of Forum ID when we get together for meets, so we can show our solidarity!

nonsequitur said:
Which subjects or topic threads have been most helpful?
-- Are you "happy" with what has actually happened here in these threads?
The threads have evolved as we find out more about the CVT, which is very important. I'm very happy that the techniques developed here have enhanced my CVT driving!

nonsequitur said:
Also, given the formal announcement of the Cooper S Auto, the Cooper CVT and One CVT will generate different and interesting status within the MINI model lineup.
-- Is there anything we should do to prepare for these new cars?
They'll need our support, if the negative posts are any gauge. ;-) Seriously, there may be a need to change the forum name to include auio 'S's, 'cause we'll have many things in common.

BCNU,
Rob in ****

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cooper76 said:
CVT models did not get an increase in HP, only 1 lb. of torque (if that even).
this is what i was refering to:

Yes the next generation MINI is coming a couple of years. And with it we should see some welcome improvements in a couple of key areas. First off the Cooper and Cooper S should get a healthy bump in power to around 140hp and 200hp respectively. Furthermore the engine should be lighter, more efficient and will be built in the England and engineered in Europe rather than Brazil and Detroit.

this is a reference from :

http://www.motoringfile.com/search.php?search=r56

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Grumbler said:
this is what i was refering to:

Yes the next generation MINI is coming a couple of years. And with it we should see some welcome improvements in a couple of key areas. First off the Cooper and Cooper S should get a healthy bump in power to around 140hp and 200hp respectively. Furthermore the engine should be lighter, more efficient and will be built in the England and engineered in Europe rather than Brazil and Detroit.

this is a reference from :

http://www.motoringfile.com/search.php?search=r56
Oh. Gotcha. The new HP gains won't be in the '05's though. Probably won't see those until late-2006. And I assume they will have to tweak the CVT, although CVTs have been run in race cars, so I don't see a probelm with doing so.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Cooper76 said:
Oh. Gotcha. The new HP gains won't be in the '05's though. Probably won't see those until late-2006. And I assume they will have to tweak the CVT, although CVTs have been run in race cars, so I don't see a probelm with doing so.
yeah, i wasnt sure what model year they would start up'ing the HP. As for CVT changes, I remember a discussion about the same CVT going into a another vehicle with increased HP, that has a larger/stronger belt. ......and this caused some discussion about whether the CVT in the mini could handle a HP increase without a necessary change to the belt. Although I can see them getting raced, I suspect that some engineer somewhere in CVT world has a spec in front of him/her that indicates the max loading a belt can handle and still hold up under warranty. ........but I suspect I am taking topic for a ride again. :)

.....in reference to combining the CVT and the new MCS auto into a single forum topic........not completely in favor of that, because of confusion it would cause for us newbies. :) .......i can just see someone starting to talk about problems they are having with their MCS auto, and begin to think they are talking about the CVT. ah well, just my 2 cents.....which is probably not worth much today considering the falling dollar.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grumbler said:
....in reference to combining the CVT and the new MCS auto into a single forum topic........not completely in favor of that, because of confusion it would cause for us newbies. :)
I agree that the CVT Forum should remain separate. We have a unique MINI.

There has been significant and controversial discussion about the new MINI Cooper S Automatic, with its torque-converter coupled 6-speed stepped (geared) transmission. It should have its own Forum, like the Convertible. We can go over there and express opinion, provide help, and read about the troubles fitting a LSD...

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
Cooper76 said:
From what I've read about the new engine, the turbo model won't be available for the CVT. Also, the 140 hp engine won't be available with the CVT. So, the CVT will remain in the new engine with just 115 hp. Looks like they are keeping the CVT as is, or at least we have not heard of any changes or improvements to it. The new 115 hp engine will have a little more torque overall, but a lot more torque down low in the rpm's range so should be quicker off the line and pull better up hills (although is good pullling now), but we'll have to wait and see. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Multiple Choice Poll Added

I've added a "Poll" to this Thread as a way to collect some opinion. You can make multiple choices, and see what others have selected in the Poll.

We should debate what we've done well, and what needs to change.

One worry is that new people coming into the Forum must read through long posts, past lots of exchanges that may not be relevant any longer, to gain the understanding that some of us lived the first time. How do we help these good people more quickly find the answers to the same questions we struggled with?

From some of the new readers: What would you like to see here?

Here're the questions that started it out: "Current State"?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think this forum is awesome :D :D :D

I love reading the "Driving Technique" thread and many of the others...even thought I have still not yet driven one of these new-fangled CVTs ;) :D

Best discovery...some pretty cool folks have purchased these crazy modern do-hickies and seem to be having a whole lotta fun :)

The CVT forum rocks! :D

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I think with the advent of the Auto S, someone's going to need to be inclusive of them, and its unlikely to be the general S forum, much as the decision to add a CVT forum because of the uniqueness of the CVT.

I suppose the best option to keep everyone happy is probably to add an auto S forum, if need warrants it, sorta a wait and see attitude.

Other then that, I really get the feeling this forum serves much as a FAQ type forum, because realistically, its only about one thing, so you can't expect it to have hundreds of new and exciting threads, thus everyone whose interested ends up reading the stickied threads, (hence their high view count) but many don't post because they don't have any questions after that.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
Change the Forum to MINI Automatics

Based upon the threads running with the current S forum, and the attitude sometimes expressed there I think by expanding our ranks would be a good thing (I hope you all don't mind my self inclusion as I have not taken delivery yet). The attitude I am referring is IMHO the rather snobbish one that if you drive an automatic you can't really be a true "sports car driver" or "what a waste" and to that effect. Which in my opinion is about as stupid as debating what is or is not a Sports Car. (The first rally I ever ran (1961) was won by two women in a 1960 Chevy Biscayne, and they tromped the field soundly) Like in most things I have found a sports car is the attitude of the driver and the fun to drive component, not the horsepower under the hood

This forum as is most of MINI2 one of the first places a new owner turns to during the long incubation period between ordering and driving the MINI. We should be the place to welcome our fellow automatic pilots, and work with them to help the discover the joy of a twisty patch of road and the sing song trill of a happy engine and smiling driver. This will do more to turn them into enthusiasts rather than polishers of garage queens. So I say come one over and eat cake with us! (You had to be in the November 2004 Production Group thread to get that one)

Just my $0.02

·
BRG/W MC CVT
9 Posts
This thread has been incredibly helpful to me in learning about my new MC CVT. As has been noted many times, the owner's manual is singularly UN-helpful -- no matter haw many times I read it I still could not decipher the point of D and SD and when or even if I should bother shifting "manually."

I've also appreciated the friendly welcome of this thread. Though enthusiastic about my new MINI, I am no car enthusiast and I didn't think a car discussion site would be my cup of tea. I've enjoyed learning some of the "nuts and bolts" info about the car and learning about the best (and most fun ;) ) way to drive.

So -- keep up the good work, and ditto the comments from the last poster -- which by the way echo the way I feel about this thread.

"Automatic pilots."

Hee hee -- I like that!

·
How well, not how much.
247 Posts
new thoughts...

I must admit that I've not been back to this forum for a while, I usually drive my '04 5spd... that said, I can say she loves her CVT. She averages over 30 mpg and has gleaned a few tanks over 34 mpg! We have had no trouble with either MINI. We had both in the last 2 weeks for the new software. We have been really pleased with both cars, the dealer (Classic in Mentor, OH), and MINI2.

As for this forum, its nice to find the CVT info so easily when searching. It should remain separate and limited to CVT's. I voted for no changes, but there are several other options that deserve discussion. For instance, "Run a contest to recover interesting subjects and rank the best Threads." I like that idea... spurs interest and we each have our own ideas about what is important for others to know.

Just a few thoughts... thanks for asking. :cool:

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
Spy Car said:
I think this forum is awesome :D :D :D

I love reading the "Driving Technique" thread and many of the others...even thought I have still not yet driven one of these new-fangled CVTs ;) :D

Best discovery...some pretty cool folks have purchased these crazy modern do-hickies and seem to be having a whole lotta fun :)

The CVT forum rocks! :D

Spy Car posting an an automatic forum?? With kind comments? Did it start snowing 'down below' this morning? I think that the kid has made you go soft! :p :p :D

Anyhoo,
Personally, I love this forum! It has provided a great amount of help and tips on how to get all you can out of the CVT! (And an extra special thanks for the person (forgot who it was, sorry!) who came up with the 1-D-SD 'launch' method!)

Not to sound snobby though, but I do think that this forum should stay exclusive to the CVT. It's not for a lack of love for our S drivin' brethren, but because the CVT is such a different beast compared to the Aisin tranny that the S will be getting. What is good advice for one tranny, may not be good for the other. I think that it would eliminate a bunch of confusion keeping them seperate.

-Paul!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts