MINI Cooper Forum banner

321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
YuccaPatrol said:
We're getting a CVT in a couple months and this thread is great! Thanks for all the info. . .
Welcome to the Shiftless Two-Pedalers, and hope you visit often!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

·
Registered
176 Posts
nonsequitur said:
3. After launch, but before the first "shift": Ease off (very slowly) the throttle to the detent position.
(I just can't do 3.; it seems to mix up the commands and resets Target Speed, but others have said they can/do and it works somehow. This is one place where "compromise" from the ideal may be needed.)
nonseq, I wonder if there might be a different response depending upon the DME s/w version last installed? My 2003 was last updated as part of the US emmissions recall. I have not wanted any update since then. This was done back on 12 Nov 04. The work order only says "REPROGRAM DME W/CD 38.0 OR HIGHER" but it does not say which version was actually installed. I still get very satisfactory results using the detent for launch, then going to WOT at or before redline.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
valnmike said:
I still get very satisfactory results using the detent for launch, then going to WOT at or before redline.
This is a very proper subject for this Driving Technique Thread.

Launch is a significant one weak point in the MINI CVT drivetrain for many drivers. The expectations established for the marketplace by a torque converter-equipped "automatic" or traditionally-clutched manual are not met by the ZF VT1F CVT. Our gearbox excels at what it was designed to do, better than the alternatives, but this is one of the compromise areas.

We should be able to mitigate this by driving the machine properly. There is practical everyday experience like that hinted here from valnmike, and some direction from ZF Getrieb.

Let's explore specific ideas, maybe measure the differences, and come up with a recommendation!

valnmike,
Will you outline the "best" way to launch and accelerate for maximum effect to get us restarted?

·
Registered
176 Posts
nonsequitur said:
This is a very proper subject for this Driving Technique Thread.

Launch is a significant one weak point in the MINI CVT drivetrain for many drivers. The expectations established for the marketplace by a torque converter-equipped "automatic" or traditionally-clutched manual are not met by the ZF VT1F CVT. Our gearbox excels at what it was designed to do, better than the alternatives, but this is one of the compromise areas.

We should be able to mitigate this by driving the machine properly. There is practical everyday experience like that hinted here from valnmike, and some direction from ZF Getrieb.

Let's explore specific ideas, maybe measure the differences, and come up with a recommendation!

valnmike,
Will you outline the "best" way to launch and accelerate for maximum effect to get us restarted?
I will try to put this together, but I've been pretty busy lately. I also have this to do over the next two Saturdays http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=658419

I will make the attempt though, if ya'all can be patient with me. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
It's been remarkable to monitor the progress, the investigations, the discussions,... and to feel the joy of sharing all that comes from being in this Forum.

This thread just passed 30,159 views. A subject summary with links to other parts of this thread, and a few other associated threads is in Post #284

·
Mini Cooper 2003, 1.6 CVT
10 Posts
This thread is a goldmine for information on how to really get to know the CVT 'box, but I find that it's rather centred on the track/performance aspect of the car. During day-to-day driving the car is often a bit rough when crawling in traffic or moving off gently. I understand that to get a quick getaway from the line one ought to floor past the detent and then raise back to the detent point, but what is the technique for the smoothest getaway from the line, i find that feathering the throttle like in a manual car seems to confuse the CVT and results in a rougher acceleration. Would love it if some of you guys could give me a hand on this one, and generally how to make the CVT behave more smoothly in normal town driving.

Thanks.

·
4,983 Posts
For normal in traffic driving I just drive it like a regular automatic, the only exception is trying to avoid 8-9 mph which is where the CVT starts that mild lurching effect it is prone to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After read the post, i know that the quickest acceleration is to kickdown and the hold at the "detent" position when the rpm reach 5k.

but by actual, I tried it but it seems not quicker than using "1" first then "upshift" or turn it to D > SD. I dont have scientific proof since it is not dyno tested. But just by my experience and feel ...

321 - 330 of 330 Posts