MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm probably out motoring
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

'm having my CVT checked tomorrow after having the same problem a number of times. It is like this: car gets off the line ok and then drops to 1400-1500rpm and stays there, very slow acceleration. I've had this at least 6 times over the last 33000km, more often lately.

Last friday I had the situation again and drove straight to my dealer (5km) to have a sales guy drive along. So now they know what it is like. They are thinking it's software but when I told them I've had 2-3 updates already recently, also because of this problem they were worried that they will have to replace the unit if they do not find a fault.

I thought maybe this issue has been discussed here before, but can not find it anymore. Anyone?

Just sharing...

EDIT: Just found this one: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28968&highlight=cvt

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happened to me once, in our '05. Pulled out of a driveway, went to accelerate, and the car wouldn't do it. We have less than 900 miles on the car so far. I haven't done anything more about it yet. I understand that it's common, even on the standard shifts. The guys with sticks have been told that they don't know how to drive their cars. Since the same symptoms occur with the CVTs, that response doesn't hold water.

Dana

·
Registered
11 Posts
same problem

I had the EXACT same problem with my '04 CVT less then two weeks after driving off the lot. It was really disturbing. I took it in and the mechanice rest the computer and its run fine since then. That was 4 or 5 months ago. Hopefully it'll never happen again.

·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetTrash said:
I had the EXACT same problem with my '04 CVT less then two weeks after driving off the lot. It was really disturbing. I took it in and the mechanice rest the computer and its run fine since then. That was 4 or 5 months ago. Hopefully it'll never happen again.
The computer in my Cooper was reset as well. Haven't had it again, but who knows. Maybe it's related to the CAN bus, moisture somewhere, coldness, phase of the moon, bla bla :)

·
M2m Police Officer
217 Posts
I had this problem with my 51 plate ONE about 3 months ago (i only bought the car 8 months ago) It also shunted forward when i put it into 'Drive' when the engine was cold, but didnt do it when i put it into reverse etc etc. They checked it but couldnt find anything wrong with it so they said they would replace the unit just to be safe and just before they were about to fit it something became obvious to them. they said that the car has programmed itself to how the previous owner drove it and that now its got a different way of being driven (new driver, me!) the car has got confused and just needed to have its computer reset so then it programmes itself to my driving patterns.

Weird i know but thats what they said!

Touch wood it hasnt happened again since although i have now got a very strange pinging noise for about 5 mins when i start the engine when its cold or slightly cold and the cars acceleration power has gone really down hill and poor, ..... i dunno wot it is .... maybe im too used to the power of it now and want more :confused: :( :yellow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts