·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

Hello everyone,

1st post and still new to mini. The shortish story for my mini begins is this. Here are a few pictures of start to current.

I bought an $800 2002 base model because someone took the trans out to do the input seal and lost interest or couldn't figure out how to get it back together. I disassembled and inspected the trans which looked in order. Put it together and drove it 100 miles before the input shaft seal blew and trashed the trans. I bought another from. LKQ, which is, suprise, trash.

I have an 2009 S model parts car with the 6 speed, so now looking at that conversion. I've read several posts that say the mechanical part is straight forward, but the electrical part is tough. What I can't find is how to fix the electrical part. The ECU connections are different 02 to 09. Am I looking at an entire wiring harness and dash swap?

I would appreciate a little insight and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
2009 cooper s gearbox is totally different, driveshaft not the same, clutch and flywheel not the same , cannot fit the later flywheel to the 2002 tritec crankshaft wont fit, gearbox mounts and casings totally different ,, the later r56 is a totally different car designed by bmw/psa the tritec was designed by rover group just before they sort it to bmw who released the gen 1 cars,, In 1997, Chrysler Corporation and Rover Group (then a subsidiary of BMW) formed a joint venture called Tritec Motors to design a new small straight-4 engine. The new company built a factory in Campo Largo of Curitiba, Brazil specifically to manufacture the new engine. all pre 2006 mini cooper and cooper s and the r52 cooper s until 2008 were all tritec, post 2006 was a psa and bmw joint designs even gearboxes were more psa than bmw as bmw back them never really liked front wheel drive cars hence the link up, think where you seen swapping gearboxes and linked to wiring harness and ecu's is if were changing a auto to manual gearbox or the other way around on a r56 to r56 bases or a r50 or r53 auto bases,
please if you find away to do it i'm sure people on here would like to see how etc, but will be a can of worms and things to get around for sure,, deep enough pockets and tools can do anything i would guess , not for a novice for sure

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2009 cooper s gearbox is totally different, driveshaft not the same, clutch and flywheel not the same , cannot fit the later flywheel to the 2002 tritec crankshaft wont fit, gearbox mounts and casings totally different ,, the later r56 is a totally different car designed by bmw/psa the tritec was designed by rover group just before they sort it to bmw who released the gen 1 cars,, In 1997, Chrysler Corporation and Rover Group (then a subsidiary of BMW) formed a joint venture called Tritec Motors to design a new small straight-4 engine. The new company built a factory in Campo Largo of Curitiba, Brazil specifically to manufacture the new engine. all pre 2006 mini cooper and cooper s and the r52 cooper s until 2008 were all tritec, post 2006 was a psa and bmw joint designs even gearboxes were more psa than bmw as bmw back them never really liked front wheel drive cars hence the link up, think where you seen swapping gearboxes and linked to wiring harness and ecu's is if were changing a auto to manual gearbox or the other way around on a r56 to r56 bases or a r50 or r53 auto bases,
please if you find away to do it i'm sure people on here would like to see how etc, but will be a can of worms and things to get around for sure,, deep enough pockets and tools can do anything i would guess , not for a novice for sure
Well, that is the story of my life. Do you know the month of manufacture for the change. I only ask because the manufacturer date I have is June 2008. I assume it would have titled as an 09? Is there a way to tell by looking at them?

Thank you for some great information, even if it isn't what I want to hear.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
March 28, 2009The 2009 (R57) MINI Cooper Convertible and MINI Cooper S Convertible go on sale in the UK and US. The MINI Cooper Convertible is $24,550 and the MINI Cooper S Convertible is $27,450 (including a $650 destination charge).
below link has mini start to finish

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thank you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate your time.

Next, it sounds like I dodged a bullet then, since my man date is June 08? Which brings me back to sorting the electrical. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
no not really I dont get involved with such things these days , to many ifs for my liking could end up throwing a load of cash at it to get no where when could of just bought a working car for less with no hassle

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Truer words were never spoken. I have put myself in a place that I can't get out of without losing money either way, so I'm all in I suppose.
I do that from time to time with stuff but steer well clear of mismatched electronics as so many things wont work together on these age of cars, car makers code everything to prevent anyone messing with it, they also dont release much info on it on top of that, so most of the info is from people who have had a go and found ways around stuff,, rule of thumb would be change the whole wiring harnesses and ecu's and locks from a donner car to the car you want to convert, but then you might as well just use the running car you would need for a donner car,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not difficult to find a salvage car here at a low price point. Which could make a donner,, non functional car an option, and the way I am leaning. I posted my current Donner car for sale yesterday with hopes of getting most of that money back. 🤞 I live in Montana, which makes the deliver/pickup up part a little more difficult with the price of fuel these days. I'll get it all worked out. I now have to find the wife an S model with a real automatic transmission while I drive a base model. 🤣 It's all fun and a learning experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts