1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cvt?

wat do u guys think about the CVT auto?

manual or CVT? im guessing all of u will say manual...hehe :p
just that mu parents that are buying the car want an auto..

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Alot of the Aussie Mini2ers say the Auto is the way to fly, especially with the shift on the steering wheel...

They say there is an art to drivign them fast, but once you ahve masstered it, you will beat MCS off the line.

Test drive both, work from there...

Todd

·
"No Works for me!"
531 Posts
Hi Steve

I've had 2 CVT Coopers :D The CVT is a great gearbox! I was originally concerned about reliability but as it turned out it was the most reliable thing in the car. If you do a lot of driving in traffic it makes life easier and if you want to have a blast on weekends the paddles on the wheel are great. Once you have mastered it chasing S's is great fun :D

cjay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ru sure u could beat a MCS?

that sounds so unbelievable! hahah...i love the fact that it has paddles on the steering wheel! awesome!

so wat do u mean it could beat a MCS?

:black:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
cjay said:
Hi Steve

I've had 2 CVT Coopers :D The CVT is a great gearbox! I was originally concerned about reliability but as it turned out it was the most reliable thing in the car. If you do a lot of driving in traffic it makes life easier and if you want to have a blast on weekends the paddles on the wheel are great. Once you have mastered it chasing S's is great fun :D

cjay
hi steve,
i have a cvt but don't drive it that hard...am a girlie sheila and live in the city so i bought it for comfort not speed.
but i can vouch for cjay's performance in the cvt...some of the other clubMINI-ers in mcs's have confirmed that they have gone off for a bit of a fang only to find cjay in his cvt right there with them.
besides if you HAVE to have an auto then there is not better car to play with with than the mini.
enjoy
kerrie r

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
CVT is great and not a compromise as some autos might be on other vehicles. And yes, it has its own special charm and is quick enough to surprise! Go test drive one and see for yourself! :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Red&blackS said:
Alot of the Aussie Mini2ers say the Auto is the way to fly, especially with the shift on the steering wheel...

They say there is an art to drivign them fast, but once you ahve masstered it, you will beat MCS off the line.

Test drive both, work from there...

Todd

as todd said u could beat a MCS off the line that sounds really good!...but kinda hard to believe! hahaha...we'll see...any other comments?

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
you could beat if off the line - for the first little bit. Obviously the MCS would catch up and pass though...

I've had a CVT as a loaner a few times - once you master the art of winding them up, it's a fun car to drive

I would normally have said that if you're buying a Cooper, the CVT is far better than the awful 5 speed manual gearbox (well. awful compared to the 6 speed Getrag box in the MCS) but after spending a week in an 05 spec Cooper Manual, the new 5 speed Getrag in the Cooper is wonderful!

Drive them both and see ;)

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
I've owned several manual transmission cars, and a few motorcycles, so I enjoy shifting, as it is a direct experience with the car and road. But due to knee problems, don't drive a manual much anymore. But I do prefer the CVT over the regular automatics in other cars by a far far margin. The only automatic that would be better (and maybe not) is the sequential manual transmission offered in some cars, as it is basically a manual transmission but without a clutch pedal you have to use. If your parents are the ones putting out the money, then I wouldn't be too disapointed if you get the CVT, as it really is a blast to drive, once you get used to it and it is broken in. It really is sequential like in performance, a real big plus and loads of fun. Whereas a regular automatic is definitely not sequential like in performance, so is not really fun at all. So, the CVT is a two-thumbs up ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts